Do I start to do my own servicing

6feetdown

Serviced the Transit this morning turned out a pain as I should have changed my battery before Christmas but have held out. Not good when you change the fuel filter had to wait 2hrs to get juice back in 🙄. But feels a lot nicer driving although I think I may have an injector issue. When I back off the accelerator I it's like it is missing. Doesn't feel as bad after service so maybe will disappear.
Need to check brakes next, and invest in a trolley jack, axle stands and or ramps. Will be keeping an eye on marketplace!

Lancs Lad

Lancs Lad

Serviced the Transit this morning turned out a pain as I should have changed my battery before Christmas but have held out. Not good when you change the fuel filter had to wait 2hrs to get juice back in 🙄. But feels a lot nicer driving although I think I may have an injector issue. When I back off the accelerator I it's like it is missing. Doesn't feel as bad after service so maybe will disappear.
Need to check brakes next, and invest in a trolley jack, axle stands and or ramps. Will be keeping an eye on marketplace!
Or just jump on SGS and buy a kit...cheap as chips for occasional use

V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
I’ve got the big 3ton one and the 1ton alloy version, both are brilliant. Alloy one is too light for the bigger trucks, but easy to pick up and carry around.
used to have a 7t commercial one in work .. two of you struggled to pick that one up :ROFLMAO:
got a couple of slightly smaller ones here, but both need some bench time, dealing with leaks ..... note to self .. fix the damned things :giggle:
also have a 2t one I bought ages ago when I was sorting the P38's fuel tank issue .... I really don't trust it - too flexible :(

Lancs Lad

Lancs Lad

I’ve got the big 3ton one and the 1ton alloy version, both are brilliant. Alloy one is too light for the bigger trucks, but easy to pick up and carry around.
What will the alloy lift in all seriousness?
Seen Greg gdb using one a lot and he swears by the Halfords ones...just thought it be dead handy to chuck in the truck when u get "can u just"
In between 8t bottle jack and 3 tonne trolley kinda thing

hiluxman

hiluxman

I've a draper 12t bottle jack. Was way over kill when bought for the original 7.5t truck but 22 years later on it'll jack my 18t truck up and i can safely say it's not heavy or hard to move about.

V8Druid

V8Druid

I've a draper 12t bottle jack. Was way over kill when bought for the original 7.5t truck but 22 years later on it'll jack my 18t truck up and i can safely say it's not heavy or hard to move about.
yeh, if it's only occasional use, there are a lot of merits to a bottle jack ...... if you can get it under what you need to lift ... trolley jacks, especially big ones, are a PITA on anything but flat concrete

D

DaveDCB

What will the alloy lift in all seriousness?
Seen Greg gdb using one a lot and he swears by the Halfords ones...just thought it be dead handy to chuck in the truck when u get "can u just"
In between 8t bottle jack and 3 tonne trolley kinda thing
It will lift the side of my pickup up, but I feel kinder choosing the big Jack! 😉

Lancs Lad

Lancs Lad

Just had this offer through.
Stupid cheap and a legit outfit not some eBay flybynight

V8Druid

V8Druid

Yeah looked at sgs site yesterday was on there will probably order in next day or so
according to their website ..... that's out of stock as are all their ratchet axle stands ? .... cheap enough though, but trolley looks a little 'light'
1705360159556.png

trouble with all these axle stands is they'm a fair way in the air 'fore you can get 'em under ... I like 1/2 width sleeper chunks, 'bout 12" long and thinner packer blocks ... can follow up much easier

6feetdown

according to their website ..... that's out of stock as are all their ratchet axle stands ? .... cheap enough though, but trolley looks a little 'light'
View attachment 56514
trouble with all these axle stands is they'm a fair way in the air 'fore you can get 'em under ... I like 1/2 width sleeper chunks, 'bout 12" long and thinner packer blocks ... can follow up much easier
The blue 1 Was in stock Sunday. Yeah will still keep eye on fb on off chance 1 pops up

6feetdown

Another service done. The ranger this time.
Fuel filter was a pain, engine oil was dropped, new filter and oil with the engine running in 9 minutes 🙂 as there are some horror stories about the 3.2 going over 10 min I think due to a self priming pump I think it is

V8Druid

V8Druid

Another service done. The ranger this time.
Fuel filter was a pain, engine oil was dropped, new filter and oil with the engine running in 9 minutes 🙂 as there are some horror stories about the 3.2 going over 10 min I think due to a self priming pump I think it is
I treat all engines like SD1 Rover's V8s ....
you never drop sump and filter together or they will not self prime .....
sump first and refill, then filter and fill as much as possible before refitting and similarly don't slope off for lunch/pee/fag .. get it done

I have a tool I made up for priming the pumps, by taking the dizzy out and driving the pump with a leccy drill (which doesn't always work) - other wise it's take the pump cover off and pack with vaseline (not an easily accessible job, but at least the pump is external on the block)
Kent V6 Ford's were in the sump and I have a similar tool for priming them with the dizzy removed ....
(used to run an engine hungry 3Ltr Scimitar - rads were too small on them and would overheat in the blink of an eye, nip up and strip the fibre timing gear) 🤬 ...
I got reeeeeally good at engine swaps in that :( ..
Eventually put an RS 3.1 Savage motor with big valve Swaymar ported heads in it - was awesome - and sold it 'fore that went pop too :(:mad:

6feetdown

The EZ26 is due a service, what do people use for putting oil into the track hubs?