vintage580
Member
I suspect it could be the diesel. There could be 10% bio diesel in it. What's it like during the summer?
Still a problem in the summer but happens after fewer hrs. when the temperature drops which points to the diesel, but should the pump be capable of dealing with it at least to get the 250 hrs recommended life from the filter or is the pump faulty, the machines not much more than a year old with about 850 hrs, and i had same problem with the previous one so I'm thinking there's not much point in replacing the pump with another original spec Volvo part? Diesels white, from various garages in 20Lt. cans.I suspect it could be the diesel. There could be 10% bio diesel in it. What's it like during the summer?
That will be fuel filters.mine occasionally does this and allways filled from bulk tank on farm.filters never seem dirty but new filters sort it.@wee_gus any ideas on my ecr27d - Not sure if coincidence or not but started machine after the 2wks of hard frost. It idles fine but as soon as you track or work machine engine dies, then engine picks up as soon as you let go of the levers?
Any idea how many hrs. it does before this happens ? Fortunately the filters are cheap enough even from Volvo, just a pain in the arse having to keep changing it so often.That will be fuel filters.mine occasionally does this and allways filled from bulk tank on farm.filters never seem dirty but new filters sort it.
nick...
My Volvo done it couple days ago and filters were all changed maybe 30 hours ago.it soon cleared and been fine since.reading comments on here it does seem worse when very cold,but my machine never has a night out and is in my tractor shed every night.I’ve only been on white diesel a couple times as customers don’t want to pay the extra so it’s still on red and mainly only used on farm nowdaysAny idea how many hrs. it does before this happens ? Fortunately the filters are cheap enough even from Volvo, just a pain in the arse having to keep changing it so often.
Thanks Nick, mine lives out on site all the time as does my 8t running on the same diesel and filters last the full service intervals which makes my think the pump fitted to the Volvo is either faulty or just not man enough for the crap diesel we pay fortunes for !My Volvo done it couple days ago and filters were all changed maybe 30 hours ago.it soon cleared and been fine since.reading comments on here it does seem worse when very cold,but my machine never has a night out and is in my tractor shed every night.I’ve only been on white diesel a couple times as customers don’t want to pay the extra so it’s still on red and mainly only used on farm nowdays
nick…
I have 4 tractors running out of same tank for diesel and a telehandler but never have any issues .should also add my Volvo is over serviced getting new oil and filters around 150 hours including final drives.i can’t beleive the fuel pumps are not powerful enough as there are loads of ecr25d models about and I’m sure we would hear about it if they were faultyThanks Nick, mine lives out on site all the time as does my 8t running on the same diesel and filters last the full service intervals which makes my think the pump fitted to the Volvo is either faulty or just not man enough for the crap diesel we pay fortunes for !
I'd love to try HVO but can't justify the cost and can't find a local supplier either .
Thanks Nick, mine lives out on site all the time as does my 8t running on the same diesel and filters last the full service intervals which makes my think the pump fitted to the Volvo is either faulty or just not man enough for the crap diesel we pay fortunes for !
I'd love to try HVO but can't justify the cost and can't find a local supplier either .
Big question, how much is it ?Presume you buy it in bulk.I’ve no experience with HVO, but if you can source She’ll GTL then that will be a new experience in clean fuel! It’s incredibly clear, and always makes me wonder why I’m bothering to change the filters! It’s that clean! Only supplier I’ve found for it is Certas Energy.
Big question, how much is it ?Presume you buy it in bulk.
Had this same issue a few times with different plant, several issues caused it to persist after filter change:I have 4 tractors running out of same tank for diesel and a telehandler but never have any issues .should also add my Volvo is over serviced getting new oil and filters around 150 hours including final drives.i can’t beleive the fuel pumps are not powerful enough as there are loads of ecr25d models about and I’m sure we would hear about it if they were faulty
nick…
I'd happily live with 3/4 ppl extra, probably save that on filters and certainly time, presumably there's a rebated and road use version ?Yes we buy in bulk, not had any recently though. But tank is getting low and a fill up will be on the cards soon. It used to be 3-4ppl more than red diesel, before the things went crazy in the early part of the year, the extra cost is well worth it in my experience. But I have no recent pricing to go by I’m afraid.
I'd happily live with 3/4 ppl extra, probably save that on filters and certainly time, presumably there's a rebated and road use version ?
I certainly suspect the lift pump and possibly the tank strainer and something lets air in also as there's always some in the system when its bled.Had this same issue a few times with different plant, several issues caused it to persist after filter change:
lift pump,
strainer inside the fuel tank,
Fuel hose or seals of water separator letting air in,
Strainer hidden inside a banjo bolt
The bio content is hygroscopic (absorbs water) so carries water through the system. It doesn't even separate in sediment bowls. I get additive added to all fuel deliveries and one of the things the additive does is stop the absorption of water or at least its supposed to allow it to separate.I seem to recall reading somewhere, there being a higher water content in the newer bio fuels too ... water saturated filters just don't pass fuel - end of![]()
Can you post a link to the additive pleaseThe bio content is hygroscopic (absorbs water) so carries water through the system. It doesn't even separate in sediment bowls. I get additive added to all fuel deliveries and one of the things the additive does is stop the absorption of water or at least its supposed to allow it to separate.
My telehandler has some crap floating about in the bottom of the tank from when i bought it and every other month i drain sediment bowl. It's not worth the hassle of removing tank to clean it out which is the only way to get it all out as drain plug doesn't do it. The first 2 bulk deliveries of derv i got after April I didn't get additive in and sediment bowl on loadall stopped collecting crap. As soon as I started getting additive in again it's collecting crap again.
I suspect for anyone not using additives in diesel that water is being carried as far as paper element filters where it's then causing you problems.
Fuel supplier adds it when they deliver but its exocet gas oil conditioner.Can you post a link to the additive please