Got to do a last minute quote for some conservation works. When I say last minute, I mean looked at it yesterday and need to do quote today. After they’ve amended the spec yet again.
I’d welcome opinions from all you who do proper earthworks (ie, nearly everyone on here but me!) as to how long it would take to scrape and move a hectare of bracken mulch. Scraping down 100mm, lightly, bulky sandy mulchy soil as you can imagine. I’m going to caveat the quote by saying it will be moved a maximum of 200m. I’m obviously hoping I can just get a little dozer in there and push it to the edges to make south facing banks for beetles, reptiles etc. but just in case they want to move it to a dump site I need to allow it. Couldn’t get the ‘committee’ to agree anything on site so if I get this quote you the taxpayer will be paying for a wildly inflated, cover all the options job. It’s always the same with village councils, they can never understand that when spending public money they should specify a job clearly.
What would you use to scrape and move the bracken mulch? I’m thinking use dozer blade to scrape and a clamshell grab to load the dumper would be fastest given the bulky nature and lack of precision required. About 5 hectares I think, will tally it all up today when I get the tenth spec revision. Ffs. Sadly it’s sloping ground and soft sand so I don’t think ol backhoe will be much use. Well, not with me at the helm at least
Experience welcome