How long?

doobin

doobin

Perfect tool for the job unless soil has changed how it behaves recently.
Should have no problem forming and tracking in a shallow bund at the edge of the plot? the bund needs to be so that future maintenance such as topping to control bracken regrowth is possible with an alpine tractor.

There's a massive saving just in labour costs compared to digger and dumper from what I can see, but I've never used one on a job. Really have noticed savings in domestic groundworks using my Multione rather than a digger and dumper.

JD450A

JD450A

Feral as Fk 🐾
How so? Only moving the material 50 yards and forming a shallow bund? Reverse back for next bucket?

My concern would be how the topography is underneath as my experience of these sorts of sites is generally the strata beneath is more varied than you'd realise.

The other thing is they will likely want to do it out of nesting season, which likely means doing it in the wet..... Far easier to keep the mess away with digger and tracked dumper than a drott.

But as said it's just my opinion. I love drotts but times and places.

Bri963

Bri963

My concern would be how the topography is underneath as my experience of these sorts of sites is generally the strata beneath is more varied than you'd realise.

The other thing is they will likely want to do it out of nesting season, which likely means doing it in the wet..... Far easier to keep the mess away with digger and tracked dumper than a drott.

But as said it's just my opinion. I love drotts but times and places.
If you put a Drott over it I know what the topography will be afterwards.

Fair point though Doob, is it a flat location, or full of hills and holes that need to be preserved? That puts a whole new dimension to the job.

JD450A

JD450A

Feral as Fk 🐾
If you put a Drott over it I know what the topography will be afterwards.

Fair point though Doob, is it a flat location, or full of hills and holes that need to be preserved? That puts a whole new dimension to the job.
Thing is though that's the difference between the ecologically sound bollox and the normal way of working.

I'm not knocking it, you and I both know that it's the quickest and most cost effective machine for moving muck. But if they are after a skimmed finish with no trace of bracken rhizomes then your better off clearing it with a edged bucket on a digger and removing all arguments.

Because if you get a pedantic twat they will moan that you've brought roots back in on the tracks..... And whilst you could back scrape with the 4in1 the reality is that'll slow your gallop fair.

Bri963

Bri963

Should have no problem forming and tracking in a shallow bund at the edge of the plot? the bund needs to be so that future maintenance such as topping to control bracken regrowth is possible with an alpine tractor.

There's a massive saving just in labour costs compared to digger and dumper from what I can see, but I've never used one on a job. Really have noticed savings in domestic groundworks using my Multione rather than a digger and dumper.
For that job it’s perfect, just think the Multione writ large. You can do a 20 degree side slope quite easily, which would be quite easy on your Alpine, I imagine. But you know those machines better than me. Remember, if you get the job, pictures or it didn’t happen/we can’t criticise on here.

doobin

doobin

For that job it’s perfect, just think the Multione writ large. You can do a 20 degree side slope quite easily, which would be quite easy on your Alpine, I imagine. But you know those machines better than me. Remember, if you get the job, pictures or it didn’t happen/we can’t criticise on here.
Thanks. Just so I'm clear, you reckon it'll take a week to take the top off one hectare with that track shovel? And place the waste to build a shallow bund, tracking it in as you reverse back?

Or did you mean the whole 5ha job?

Furniss

Furniss

For what its worth id stick with what i know and strip it with track machine and dumpers, if they wont pay for that method I wouldn't go looking for cheaper and something im not familiar with, I would just let someone else do it.
We still aim to please but are a bit less eager to delve into the unknown than once over :)

doobin

doobin

This is what I'm up against. Bunch of f****ng clowns. Literally 5PM today and the 'committee' has decided they want a quote for a firebreak too. Bear in mind that I've walked this site once in my whole life, and that was on Monday. Here's the spec.... anyone else want to quote?
Screenshot 2023-11-15 at 17.43.26.png

It boils my piss. Every village council I've dealt with is the same. Spending public money with nary a trace of a proper procurement procedure. If it weren't for my track record in heathland restoration and good standing with Natural England (who actually allocate the funding, based upon quotes recieved by the applicants for the funding, in this case the village council), I'd tell them to swivel.

M

Monkeybusiness

This is what I'm up against. Bunch of f****ng clowns. Literally 5PM today and the 'committee' has decided they want a quote for a firebreak too. Bear in mind that I've walked this site once in my whole life, and that was on Monday. Here's the spec.... anyone else want to quote?
View attachment 53423

It boils my piss. Every village council I've dealt with is the same. Spending public money with nary a trace of a proper procurement procedure. If it weren't for my track record in heathland restoration and good standing with Natural England (who actually allocate the funding, based upon quotes recieved by the applicants for the funding, in this case the village council), I'd tell them to swivel.
Just give them a meterage rate with a minimum charge for something like that would be my suggestion.

doobin

doobin

Just give them a meterage rate with a minimum charge for something like that would be my suggestion.
How would you quote a meterage rate when the track width, the track route and the minimum clearance to other trees are 'tbc'? Does this firebreak go through the heavily wooded area or skirt around the outsides?

I once had some fat **** from another village council tell me that the spec was to 'put down some planings for a car park from (waves hand) "that tree over there to that bush over in the corner'.

This is public money ffs!