How long?

doobin

doobin

Got to do a last minute quote for some conservation works. When I say last minute, I mean looked at it yesterday and need to do quote today. After they’ve amended the spec yet again. 🙄

I’d welcome opinions from all you who do proper earthworks (ie, nearly everyone on here but me!) as to how long it would take to scrape and move a hectare of bracken mulch. Scraping down 100mm, lightly, bulky sandy mulchy soil as you can imagine. I’m going to caveat the quote by saying it will be moved a maximum of 200m. I’m obviously hoping I can just get a little dozer in there and push it to the edges to make south facing banks for beetles, reptiles etc. but just in case they want to move it to a dump site I need to allow it. Couldn’t get the ‘committee’ to agree anything on site so if I get this quote you the taxpayer will be paying for a wildly inflated, cover all the options job. It’s always the same with village councils, they can never understand that when spending public money they should specify a job clearly.

What would you use to scrape and move the bracken mulch? I’m thinking use dozer blade to scrape and a clamshell grab to load the dumper would be fastest given the bulky nature and lack of precision required. About 5 hectares I think, will tally it all up today when I get the tenth spec revision. Ffs. Sadly it’s sloping ground and soft sand so I don’t think ol backhoe will be much use. Well, not with me at the helm at least 🤣

Experience welcome

D

DaveDCB

That’s over 1000 ton in a hectare (working on bracken mulch being much lighter than say pure topsoil)
But to be honest if they won’t agree on anything I wouldn’t bother with quoting, as it’s just pie in the sky and you’ll no doubt start the job and half way through they will want a committee meeting and all hell will break loose
IMG_0760.jpeg

Giles

Giles

as Rory said 2 weeks with 2 guys, want some gready boards on an 5-10 ton track dumper if its light weight material big area to strip though isn't it going to leave it bare devoid of life and erosion risk everything conservation zone against? are they trying to remove the bracken?

Giles

Giles

Flail it. Spray it off in the spring. That doesn't help. As others have said
No license available for the only chemical that deals with bracken another post Brexit win.

Have to roll it twice crush and kill it with bracken roller

doobin

doobin

as Rory said 2 weeks with 2 guys, want some gready boards on an 5-10 ton track dumper if its light weight material big area to strip though isn't it going to leave it bare devoid of life and erosion risk everything conservation zone against? are they trying to remove the bracken?
Heathland regen. Heather needs bare ground.

M

Monkeybusiness

If it can be bunded anywhere adjoining the strip then a dozer might be worth considering, but not if it also needs loading and carting elsewhere.
2 weeks with a 13 tonner and dumper should be easy peasy, that’s only 1/4 acre a day.

JD450A

JD450A

Feral as Fk 🐾
If it can be bunded anywhere adjoining the strip then a dozer might be worth considering, but not if it also needs loading and carting elsewhere.
2 weeks with a 13 tonner and dumper should be easy peasy, that’s only 1/4 acre a day.
Correct, but you need to add in twonk factor..... A 200m haul distance will easily knock your gallop into two weeks..... Plus you will soon find that there is a significant amount of "tidying" to be done that will eat away at time at the end. I can proudly say I've f***ed myself over on this fact once as as the Jews say.... Never again.

I'd not even consider a dozer personally. You'll wind up cross contaminating the bare ground with s**t, you'll double handle material by accident and depending on the contours of the site you will wind up repeatedly over cutting which is going to cost you money and negatively impact the project...... And before someone pipes up that you could use a D31 komatsu or similar, forget it. They would struggle to productively push skins off rice pudding no matter how much I love them.... They are trimming Tractors, you know. For er trimming.

V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
13 tonner with a blade :giggle: to boss it about , then pick it into dumper
WP_20170215_10_54_50_Pro.jpg
WP_20170207_11_24_59_Pro.jpg

doobin

doobin

Working in hectares, not acres?

doobin

doobin

Just scrape.... And load. No pushing, no trying to be overly enthusiastic.

To be honest if the ground is good enough to trapse round randomly on a machine Doob already has the perfect item of plant.....
Just lacking the skills!

M

Monkeybusiness

Working in hectares, not acres?
0.25 acre x 10 days = 2.5 acres (which is just over 1 hectare). That’s very easily achievable, and should only require a single pass as a half decent operator should have time to keep the job and tip tidy and trim up etc whilst waiting for the dumper to return.
Worst case if they decide to have the tip further away just price in a second/third etc dumper. The only additional consideration then would be keeping the tip tidy if it is a long way from the dig.

V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
0.25 acre x 10 days = 2.5 acres (which is just over 1 hectare). That’s very easily achievable, and should only require a single pass as a half decent operator should have time to keep the job and tip tidy and trim up etc whilst waiting for the dumper to return.
Worst case if they decide to have the tip further away just price in a second/third etc dumper. The only additional consideration then would be keeping the tip tidy if it is a long way from the dig.
aye ... absolutely right ... senior moment, combined with trying to keep Harper entertained :rolleyes: ... and less than 4 hrs sleep last night :( ..... good job one of us is awake this morning Dan :LOL: