Buying and renovating a Benford TT3000 dumper

JD450A

JD450A

Feral as Fk 🐾
I'd be surprised if that dumper doesn't have flywheel charging..... Wrong era not too tbh.
 
L

LKSF

Pennine Hillbilly
I'd be surprised if that dumper doesn't have flywheel charging..... Wrong era not too tbh.
It could have. If it has then all wires have been removed and any entry points are hidden underneath where I can't see them. It could have broken and someone's taken the wires off, I've just been reading they were unreliable and it is very old. Just found this site btw, looks interesting and a good lead if you need parts for the engines: https://listerparts.co.uk/
 
V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
I mean just two main thick cables, earth and + tve going from starter to battery. The only other wire is a thin one to the the ign switch on the steering column. I'll get some pics later, but if there was anything inside the bellhousing there are no holes or no wires going there now, unless there are some holes underneath where I can't see them.
one or two ? ign sw. needs a feed from battery live and one wire to the starter solenoid to activate it minimum ....... never seen one that uses a single wire to earth the solenoid to activate it, but would in theory be possible, but the solenoid would need totally insulating from earth at the starter to work.:unsure::unsure:
 
JD450A

JD450A

Feral as Fk 🐾
one or two ? ign sw. needs a feed from battery live and one wire to the starter solenoid to activate it minimum ....... never seen one that uses a single wire to earth the solenoid to activate it, but would in theory be possible, but the solenoid would need totally insulating from earth at the starter to work.:unsure::unsure:
Unless it's + earth 🤔 I'll have a look at mine later
 
V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
Unless it's + earth 🤔 I'll have a look at mine later
hell yeh .... had forgotten that gem of design :oops: ..... unlikely though for an '80,s machine .... 's more early '60,s and back .. could be if it's dynastart though ... most dynamos were +ve earth
 
L

LKSF

Pennine Hillbilly
hell yeh .... had forgotten that gem of design :oops: ..... unlikely though for an '80,s machine .... 's more early '60,s and back .. could be if it's dynastart though ... most dynamos were +ve earth
Do you know where the regulator lives? Rectangular aluminium heat sink thing with fins on it.
 
Mick-the-fitter

Mick-the-fitter

It’s what I do!
Yep exactly that engine built to take a starter and alternator with all the castings but supplied with handle only for cheapness, seen lots converted to battery and starter with ignition only😊
 
Shovelhands

Shovelhands

Well-known member
But also the engines with electric start had the hand crank facility too, so just because it’s got the handle option doesn’t mean it’s been converted.
If that machine had electric start from factory then imo it’s highly unlikely that it never had a charging system.

Of course it might not be the original engine?….
 
L

LKSF

Pennine Hillbilly
thumbnail (34).jpg


Ok I braved the blizzards and had a look, aren't I good to you guys? Yes I am 😅


We have a lucas starter motor so it can't be Dynastart:

thumbnail (32).jpg

Clearly someone's been doing something there.

Then I noticed this plastic box/cover thing above it:

thumbnail (33).jpg


It's a got a bunch of wires going into it from the bellhousing so that points to a charger in there. Just two thin black ones coming out though, you can see one goes to the negative on the starter and the other onto the positive. Would an alternator have such thin wires going from it?
The sensible thing was to get the voltmeter on the battery. It shows 12.6 static. Engine on tickover about 13v, engine revving 14v so I think it's working ok. Engine still refuses to turn over, either at all or just very slowly. It's either the battery is too small or knackered, but the smart charger says it's ok, or there is a problem with the starter.
It will turn over and start as long as it has the booster connected.
I'm hoping someone hasn't put a 24v starter on it or if that would give this kind of problem, but the first thing to do is to take it off and check it over.
 
Shovelhands

Shovelhands

Well-known member
Awful lot of wires there for something that’s only got the battery leads going to it……🤪😂

It’s got the earlier type charging system, by the looks of it, I forget the name of it, but the wires aren’t massive. Voltage sounds about right, I think it’s fine IMO.

Have you checked the positive and negative connections and leads on the battery? Checked and cleaned the terminals on the starter?
Does the negative battery lead run directly to the starter? Or is it issuing the frame as earth? Get all those basics right first, even if you need to replace some of it, before you go buying a starter. Even though that’s where you might end up…
 
doobin

doobin

Well-known member
If it starts on the booster then it's almost certainly the battery! And as Shovelhands says, clean all the terminals and earth conenctions. A bad earth to battery contact (or earth to frame contact) will give the same symptoms as a bad starter.
 
L

LKSF

Pennine Hillbilly
Both leads go straight from starter to the battery and they look fine, all fresh and tight, will check them though.
 
V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
If it starts on the booster then it's almost certainly the battery! And as Shovelhands says, clean all the terminals and earth conenctions. A bad earth to battery contact (or earth to frame contact) will give the same symptoms as a bad starter.
was about to say the same .... it may be showing 12.6V with no load, but a dodgy cell'd halve that in a nanosecond on crank .... get it a decent battery and remake all connections no matter how good they look -- get them clean and tight
 
JD450A

JD450A

Feral as Fk 🐾
What a peach
 

Attachments

  • IMG_20220330_193810.jpg
    IMG_20220330_193810.jpg
    233.3 KB · Views: 181
  • IMG_20220330_193752.jpg
    IMG_20220330_193752.jpg
    279.5 KB · Views: 190
Top