Sell the pickups quick

craig

craig

Well-known member
It always makes me chuckle when people go on about mpg in such vehicles, some of my mates are fastidious about it...I tell them to get real it's a working truck, just put diesel in and go.
I had a dodge ram 5.9 cummings once, and it was probably the most asked question, I don't do a big mileage so I`m not massively bothered, just fill when needed.
My current ranger is coming up 12 years old, with under 35k :ROFLMAO:
 
JD450A

JD450A

Feral as Fk 🐾
Imo...Pickups with AT tyres and all the crap we drag about .
20mpg max normal and 30mpg max on a very...for me very very good run.

Anyone beg to differ?
The Isuzu would run consistently at 300 miles to around 60L of Diesel... so 5 miles to a litre...... so about 22.7 MPG That's mixed use.... but fair average.
The old Rangers (Mk2) would do the about 350 miles to 60L empty, or 250 miles to 60L when towing..... which was noticeable The Isuzu just was consistently thirsty.
 
Giles

Giles

Well-known member
They should have developed a single cab really. That should squeeze it under the weight issue of not being able to carry 1t in the back and therefore hit all the VAT exemptions we all want. They do sell a chassis doublecab but its still too heavy for the 1t rule.
A single cab with some space for coats behind the seat, no extra doors to stay clear of the new rules, for £30k with all the good bits the Grenadier has going for it - I might be tempted.
But the real problem for all these new trucks is my 2018 Navara was £22k, drives lovely, and is exceptional on fuel - getting 45mpg on my 50 mile commute into London atm. And for all the stop start/ 20mph limits I'm going through I thought that was exceptional!

No idea what I'm going to do in 2029. But the old Defender is still sat on my drive and it might well get resurrected again. Could fully rebuild it for less than £20k and just say no to ULEZ jobs. Get something nice as a car for outside of work - nice 996 Porsche or something. Or maybe I can retire by then :LOL:

Does that iteration of navara still have the Renault software that’s very optimistic on mpg?
 
S

Smiffy

Well-known member
I had an 08 Mitsubishi l200 and it would last forever on a tank. Never checked properly but the screen said mid 30s and I would believe it based on how long it would go between fill ups. It was also a really nice size in comparison to anything available now. Could easily reach in the bed, fit comfortably in car parking spaces. Better visibility. I don't quite understand why if the aim is economy why the pickups and cars in general have ballooned so much.
And it has nothing to do with safety as the individual models have grown but for the cars at least smaller models have been added below. Look at the size of a new golf but then you have the up that is similar size to the original golf.
 
M

Monkeybusiness

Well-known member
Our hilux and previous Navaras all do/did approx 400 miles to a tank (approx 70 litres), except for one of the old shaped versions that always did 450 miles for some reason (doing the same job, with the same engine etc). The old (64 plate) Defender has always done 300 miles to approx the same amount of fuel, as do my MAN vans.
The Cabstars are the worst - hold 95 litres and do less than 300 miles (but are always running heavy and towing in fairness).
 
William127

William127

Well-known member
Colchester to Cornwall, 16mpg 😆 Not heavy just a big sail! 24ish on the way back.
 

Attachments

  • 20250108_071541.jpg
    20250108_071541.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 96
  • 20250108_112416.jpg
    20250108_112416.jpg
    177 KB · Views: 86
  • 20250108_130225.jpg
    20250108_130225.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 99
  • 20250108_032208.jpg
    20250108_032208.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 92
Furniss

Furniss

Well-known member
I tried a navara after an izuzu trooper 3.1 commercial - really liked the trooper but hated the navara and only kept it a few weeks, v thirsty and uncomfortable, think it would of been about a m/y 98.
Went to a defender but preferred the trooper.
 
TiltyShaun

TiltyShaun

Well-known member
I tried a navara after an izuzu trooper 3.1 commercial - really liked the trooper but hated the navara and only kept it a few weeks, v thirsty and uncomfortable, think it would of been about a m/y 98.
Went to a defender but preferred the trooper.
I remember trying a 98my trooper commercial. Ended up going for a freelander!! Decided towing 3.5ton was not that important!!
 
Top