Mogmans creations 🤔

Mogman

Mogman

What man as done, man can do, what never has,maybe
Thinking of making an elephants foot for my breaker (fits the 20 tonner) question? can you machine an old worn out steel ie turn a taper on the end so I can get it to fit in a thick steel plate that will also have the same taper machined into it (oh when I say plate it’ll be 100mm possibly 150mm thick need to see what I have)

Left hooker

Left hooker

Thinking of making an elephants foot for my breaker (fits the 20 tonner) question? can you machine an old worn out steel ie turn a taper on the end so I can get it to fit in a thick steel plate that will also have the same taper machined into it (oh when I say plate it’ll be 100mm possibly 150mm thick need to see what I have)
Won't be able to weld them so a bolt holding both parts together in an lose hole so save it snapping only way
Know they are hard had to reprofile a concrete drill bit to drill through a 30mm breaker steel

Quattromike

Quattromike

Well member-known
Won't be easy to machine it, might be hard. Have you got acces to a cylindrical grinder

JD450A

JD450A

Feral as Fk 🐾
Turn your foot up on the lathe with a slightly smaller diameter hole than breaker steel, flush face both surfaces on the lathe..... Heat foot with gas.... Bang Bang Bang, then weld round the top your mind thinks like mine so these instructions will be grand. (y)

T whiting

T whiting

It's no use welding something that's going on the end of a breaker I tried making a elephant's foot for a electric breaker it worked well but I couldn't keep it in one piece, when we bought one for the bever pack it had a point that had a taper and a decent chunk of steel with a tapered hole and it's never come to pieces.

I'd machine a tapered hole in the biggest piece of steel you can fit on a lathe it's going to want to be a good thickness too I'd say 200mm is probably on the thin side then grind a point to match but it would eat to be a good fit think about a morse taper if there clean they never move

doobin

doobin

It's no use welding something that's going on the end of a breaker I tried making a elephant's foot for a electric breaker it worked well but I couldn't keep it in one piece, when we bought one for the bever pack it had a point that had a taper and a decent chunk of steel with a tapered hole and it's never come to pieces.

I'd machine a tapered hole in the biggest piece of steel you can fit on a lathe it's going to want to be a good thickness too I'd say 200mm is probably on the thin side then grind a point to match but it would eat to be a good fit think about a morse taper if there clean they never move
Yup, taperlock is the only way. Even on a 10kg breaker it won't hold, so it's got no chance on a digger pecker.

I tried preheat before weld too. No joy. Yet my first attempt at taper turning on the lathe? Perfect fit and hasn't let go yet.

Mogman

Mogman

yea won’t be welding to for sure😳 but like the idea of grinding a taper on a chisel can easy fit a grinder to the cross slide on the lathe and grind an angle
Was just wondering about heating the steel to take the hardness out of it🤔

R

Rob65

Mog, what sort of size are you planning to make the foot plate?

I’m thinking if one edge of the plate lands on a hard object it’s going to put a bending force on the shank of the tool. Might this cause it to snap?

With such a big lump it’s going to be tricky to get it up to annealing temperature and hold it for long enough for the heat to soak all the way through but I think it might be wise to try and temper it down a bit.

Could you heat it enough to get the surface to turn blue? That would make it a little less brittle but won’t take much hardness out of it.

You might be able to turn it using a carbide tool if you run it fairly slow but use a good depth of cut so you don’t work harden it rather than cut it.

I have rock drill rods that have a taper on for knock on bits to grip. They are hard and do occasionally snap but I can turn new tappers on them if I’m careful.

Good luck and please let us know how you get on.

Rob

Mogman

Mogman

Mog, what sort of size are you planning to make the foot plate?

I’m thinking if one edge of the plate lands on a hard object it’s going to put a bending force on the shank of the tool. Might this cause it to snap?

With such a big lump it’s going to be tricky to get it up to annealing temperature and hold it for long enough for the heat to soak all the way through but I think it might be wise to try and temper it down a bit.

Could you heat it enough to get the surface to turn blue? That would make it a little less brittle but won’t take much hardness out of it.

You might be able to turn it using a carbide tool if you run it fairly slow but use a good depth of cut so you don’t work harden it rather than cut it.

I have rock drill rods that have a taper on for knock on bits to grip. They are hard and do occasionally snap but I can turn new tappers on them if I’m careful.

Good luck and please let us know how you get on.

Rob
Cheers for the info👍 going to be used to bang in Sheet piles etc so not a big head (also depends on what I can find🤔) without making a forge i will struggle to get up to and maintain a good temperature😢

V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
no need to heat the foot if it's only mild steel .... and i'd not bother messing with the temper on the chisel ... just grind it to suit the taper in the foot and bang it in ... rat tat tat ;):giggle:

Last edited:
V8Druid

V8Druid

new toy for you @Mogman ... FramesRC26
1617398245353.png

Mogman

Mogman

no need to heat the foot if it's only mild steel .... and i'd not bother messing with the temper on the chisel ... just grind it to suit the taper in the foot and bang it in ... rat tat tat ;):giggle:
Not made the foot yet😳😂😂

Mogman

Mogman

Had a quick chat with Dan @Monkeybusiness about other issues and he enquired about my ‘pit’ so after a week or so it’s bone dry (apart from a drop of rain we had, but pumped it out and 👍👍)
CC734A4D-E3BB-435A-A5DA-47BA4F02A7D8.jpeg

got some 20mm plates that I’m going to use as a pit cover while not in use, one problem is they are 6’ wide with rough cut ends so cut 10 meters worth 49” wide using this tool that I pulled from the scrap😉
34BAAC29-2794-459A-8A25-637CC5392223.jpeg
4AEFAA1E-04CA-42E3-8D82-253AF11E03D5.jpeg

V8Druid

V8Druid

Had a quick chat with Dan @Monkeybusiness about other issues and he enquired about my ‘pit’ so after a week or so it’s bone dry (apart from a drop of rain we had, but pumped it out and 👍👍)
View attachment 23700
got some 20mm plates that I’m going to use as a pit cover while not in use, one problem is they are 6’ wide with rough cut ends so cut 10 meters worth 49” wide using this tool that I pulled from the scrap😉
View attachment 23701View attachment 23702
never seen a straight line cutter that runs on that sort of track before Mog .. more usually a grooved track for a guide wheel like this.. got about 18ft of it sat here
1617478337684.png

usually BOC pug cutter ..... very handy tool
1617478414165.png

like the twist lock corner weight :giggle::giggle:

Mogman

Mogman

never seen a straight line cutter that runs on that sort of track before Mog .. more usually a grooved track for a guide wheel like this.. got about 18ft of it sat here
View attachment 23703
usually BOC pug cutter ..... very handy tool
View attachment 23704

like the twist lock corner weight :giggle::giggle:
That’s a length of aluminium that I cut from a scrap sign that came from BOOTS chemists 😂😂 needs must
yes got a few of the corner blocks not as heavy as a 56er and easy to handle👍

V8Druid

V8Druid

That’s a length of aluminium that I cut from a scrap sign that came from BOOTS chemists 😂😂 needs must
yes got a few of the corner blocks not as heavy as a 56er and easy to handle👍
's a good long length .... wondered what it was off ..... thought it might've been a bit of truck body ... bet those blocks're handy things to have about :cool:

Mogman

Mogman

A couple of weeks ago had a job of clearing a yard that a shed fabrication company was renting, had 4 artic loads of wood all tantalised York board and 1 load of 9x3 7x3 4x3 you get the picture😉
A11F8399-C49C-4A3C-BE47-EB3908F549D2.jpeg

725BD57B-9D0F-4769-A5D2-8716792E9263.jpeg

6CD22BF8-A5D3-4532-95A0-384B92686FBE.jpeg

also 60 ton of scrap including steel racking an old foden tractor unit and tautliner trailer🤫

but I digress got a job coming up where I will need to filter silted water out of a Reed bed so needed a couple of dumpy bag lifters that will hold a ton bag in an IBC to catch the solids and let the water out that we will pump into them out of the wash plant I built a few years back😉 and make a ton bag filling hopper so my grab can also fill dumpy bags so they can be left to drain out (only took a few pictures as I get in the ‘zone’)😳

started out with this from the above job a narrow steel rack not much use to me as a rack😢 but🤔
0E20B0DD-9411-482E-9315-BC9BFD01ECF1.jpeg

bit of cutting and welding later got these two made
0B5C550D-7F41-4AC4-8348-76A12C0C7D3F.jpeg

and with the rest glued this together
E234DE9C-D67A-40AC-A8DC-42584293C651.jpeg

and no new steel was harmed in the process😂😂