Log splitters

V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
Yeah thats what i was going to do. But i took the other lever off in the end.
I thought about the return like you've already discussed but for same reasons as you i didn't bother. Plus if the log dose'nt quite split through the ram will hold it while you pull it apart by hand
can't see this taking prisoners TBH Dylan ..... blade goes to the table and can't see anything not parting
reckon this'll make a decent bar bender too with my big Vee block under the blade :giggle::giggle:

R

Rob65

Druid,
Is yer big vee block steel or cast iron?

I have heard of cast iron ones shattering when used under a press.

Rob

V8Druid

V8Druid

Druid,
Is yer big vee block steel or cast iron?

I have heard of cast iron ones shattering when used under a press.

Rob
't is machined from a large block of mild steel @Rob65 ...... used to use it in work with my 60t press :giggle: ... bent 100 x 20 sweet (y).... splitter won't though :LOL:

centring an axle for the roller on me grading beam
WP_20160209_12_45_58_Pro.jpg WP_20160209_12_46_09_Pro.jpg
WP_20160209_12_46_22_Pro.jpg

V8Druid

V8Druid

these got stitched inside the tube,
WP_20160209_12_36_09_Pro.jpg
welded up and then a disc on the outer end
WP_20160209_14_22_32_Pro.jpg
both ends ..... etc.
WP_20160211_14_04_41_Pro.jpg

oxy bottles don't come in 10ft lengths, so had to join a few ..
tops and bottoms make good flower pots for Pam
WP_20200513_16_38_05_Pro.jpg WP_20200513_16_38_45_Pro.jpgWP_20200513_17_53_52_Pro.jpg she likes the 'industrial look':giggle:

diggerjones

diggerjones

I was thinking how mundane tasks we've done all our lifes are quite interesting in a photo. Like strengthening some thing or digging a hole. The power of pics🤔😁

J

Jimoz

@V8Druid for a man of such ingenuity a couple of bungee straps. That's disappointing! Can't you invent and fab some contraption not forgetting to paint it in tish?!
Also I think I've got you worked out now. Planted all them oak acorns a couple of months ago, now your buying a splitter you tell us will last forever. You setting up a firewood dynasty?!

V8Druid

V8Druid

@V8Druid for a man of such ingenuity a couple of bungee straps. That's disappointing! Can't you invent and fab some contraption not forgetting to paint it in tish?!
Also I think I've got you worked out now. Planted all them oak acorns a couple of months ago, now your buying a splitter you tell us will last forever. You setting up a firewood dynasty?!
could just as easily remove the damned thing Jim, but it does give a degree of safety for unwary fingers .... the bungee is the easiest, quickest and most easily undone measure.
as for the oak forest ....... reckon it'll be some time 'fore you'd need to split anything those acorns produce

Randla

Randla

Interloper
can't see this taking prisoners TBH Dylan ..... blade goes to the table and can't see anything not parting
reckon this'll make a decent bar bender too with my big Vee block under the blade :giggle::giggle:
MIssed this earlier, Graham; but is this safe or wise?:eek: The one I hired in recently (petrol-driven Oxdale) was a two handed job which, if it was mine, I would have converted to single hand (or foot) operation. But the critical thing was that the blade didn't go all the way to the bed - if I had my hand in the wrong place it would have probably bruised it but I'd still have all my fingers :)

Robert

doobin

doobin

MIssed this earlier, Graham; but is this safe or wise?:eek: The one I hired in recently (petrol-driven Oxdale) was a two handed job which, if it was mine, I would have converted to single hand (or foot) operation. But the critical thing was that the blade didn't go all the way to the bed - if I had my hand in the wrong place it would have probably bruised it but I'd still have all my fingers :)

Robert
Not a chance mate, that blade and your fingers on top of a log of pretty much any description is only going to end one way.

Local lad lost three fingers to a post knocker last month. No idea how, he was sensible and knew what he was doing. Sobering.

GazCro

GazCro

Robert
This is a good representation of the sad cotton wool world we live in. Its a log splitter if you put you're hand in the way it will get hurt ffs. My horizontal splitter (don't see many now probably h+s issues) didn't push all the way to the wedge it finished about 2 in short. It was totally useless on knotty wood as it needed to push all the way through to split fully. So we modded it. Even finishing short if you're hand is between the knife and the log it'll get nipped so as far as i can see makes it no safer. The two handed operation isn't safe imho as they often require you to stand right in front of the splitter. If you have a log burst and fly to bits you're safer to the side.

S

Smiffy

Robert

Put your hand on top of a log and it will hurt just as much as on the table
I think the ones that stop short are done for price more than anything

L

Lazy Driver

Whats peoples thoughts on screw log splitters as have a brilliant electric splitter for logs for the house but it’s not good on 3ft diameter logs and most timber is for batch biomass boiler and wood chip boilers

S

Smiffy

Whats peoples thoughts on screw log splitters as have a brilliant electric splitter for logs for the house but it’s not good on 3ft diameter logs and most timber is for batch biomass boiler and wood chip boilers

Fair tool on a digger but watching my mates pto one I am quite happy never to go near it
One of those tools that no amount of skill or experience could rule out an accident

L

Lazy Driver

Don’t want a pto one this is to go on a 3cx and 14 tonne at a latter date when I get one

V8Druid

V8Druid

Robert
as said Rob .... would rather it went to the table and did a proper job of splitting than have to faff about with a short travel stroke .... plus as said if you're dull (or unfortunate) enough to have a finger under the blade, it is going to hurt whether on a block or the table ..... as for the double hander debate ... Personally i'd rather have the ability to control the odd odd shaped lump with me left danny, than have it pop out in my direction, with both hands in the air, stood in the line of fire
Gaz hit it on the head ..... " the sad cotton wool world we live in " ....if you ain't up to being "in the kitchen" stay away from what's going to hurt you

V8Druid

V8Druid

Fair tool on a digger but watching my mates pto one I am quite happy never to go near it
One of those tools that no amount of skill or experience could rule out an accident
yeh when they burst there's no telling where's safe to be stood (y)

S

Smiffy

yeh when they burst there's no telling where's safe to be stood (y)

The thing don't like is they are usually doing 2-300 rpm and when they snatch there isn't much u can do
Also heard a few stories of people pushing the log onto the screw with either hand or foot the log splitting and the limb doing the pushing being impaled with no e stop in reach

V8Druid

V8Druid

The thing don't like is they are usually doing 2-300 rpm and when they snatch there isn't much u can do
Also heard a few stories of people pushing the log onto the screw with either hand or foot the log splitting and the limb doing the pushing being impaled with no e stop in reach
aye they make me cringe ...... only safe place for a screw splitter is on the end of a dipper