Log splitters

CPS

CPS

Sorry for not getting back to you Aiden ..... your countryman has come up with a 50 quid pallet on a 3-4 day job, so many thanks for the offer and to save you a lotta faff I paid the man Thursday and it got collected yesterday (y) got his latest 25mm hardox blade and all galvy head ...

View attachment 20222
Looks a real tidy unit to be fair, and a good price for shipping also.

Does look to have some good gear, must check him out👍

Hg2702

Hg2702

I may well of missed the boat on this but does anyone know of a log splitter that would work off of a beaver pack

S

Smiffy

I may well of missed the boat on this but does anyone know of a log splitter that would work off of a beaver pack

They all will just dead slow
Finding one with a smaller splitting force therefore smaller ram will speed it a bit
Although if you can find one with a 2 speed ram it should go well but that's usually on 30t models

Hg2702

Hg2702

Dead slow will do 👍🏽 Not something I’ll use a lot just handy to have I’ll get looking on fleabay!

V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
mine arrived Tuesday 'fore Christmas ..... got to try it this week .... very good .... destroyed a very gnarly, knotty piece of oak in seconds
WP_20201230_15_21_03_Pro.jpg

WP_20201230_15_21_08_Pro.jpg

WP_20201230_15_31_20_Pro.jpg

WP_20201230_15_31_24_Pro.jpg

don't know what the flow rate is on the Zetor, but worked well, just over tickover - say 900-1000 rpm and plenty fast enough

V8Druid

V8Druid

Dead slow will do 👍🏽 Not something I’ll use a lot just handy to have I’ll get looking on fleabay!
I looked at all sorts on Fleabay/FB marketplace and for the money folks wanted for s/hand units ... a bit more got me this shiny, well made new one. Quality job ... nice design, well assembled, lovely welding on it, all spanking new and will outlast me ... and still be worth seriously good money 'ad infinitum' .... highly recommended (y) (y)

S

Smiffy

If you can find one with auto return it means you can be sorting the next log ready as the splitter retracts speeding the job up a bit
And an adjustable table means the splitter doesn't have to travel before hitting the log to be split
Although this can be achieved with a stack of logs and just split the top one each time

V8Druid

V8Druid

If you can find one with auto return it means you can be sorting the next log ready as the splitter retracts speeding the job up a bit
And an adjustable table means the splitter doesn't have to travel before hitting the log to be split
Although this can be achieved with a stack of logs and just split the top one each time
Shane, who did mine said he could fit an auto return valve for an extra forty (IIRC) quid .. but ...
IMHDO, it's better off controlling the return to where you want it, rather than having to go full stroke each time, so I stuck with non-auto / manual valve ...
saves on a lot of wasted ram travel .....
the table's big enough to have several lumps ready to go and once you've split and stacked/bagged/removed them from the table, can fill it again ....
no real quick way of 'racking it up' ... other than a second pair of hands ...
what you save in time with auto return, you'll lose in waiting on the full strokes to split.

can well see Pam lending a hand with this in future, as there's little effort involved, other than sliding blocks into place and pressing a lever, 'fore bagging/boxing up the 'manageable' results

I'd better give the maul its 'gold watch' :giggle:

(20) Marketplace – 16ton log splitter | Facebook

doobin

doobin

Shane, who did mine said he could fit an auto return valve for an extra forty (IIRC) quid .. but ...
IMHDO, it's better off controlling the return to where you want it, rather than having to go full stroke each time, so I stuck with non-auto / manual valve ...
the table's big enough to have several lumps ready to go and once you've split and stacked/bagged/removed them from the table, can fill it again ....
what you save in time with auto return, you'll lose in waiting on the full strokes to split.

can well see Pam lending a hand with this in future, as there's little effort involved, other than sliding blocks into place and pressing a lever, 'fore bagging/boxing up the 'manageable' results

I fitted an auto kickout valve to mine and use a couple of scaffold girder clamps to stop the return. Set the kickout valve to it's minimum setting but still broke the ram bolt after a while (only M10) so changed to a 12.9 and we'll see how we go.

Why didn't you think of that, Druid? :p :ROFLMAO:

2020-11-26 16.42.39.jpg

V8Druid

V8Druid

I fitted an auto kickout valve to mine and use a couple of scaffold girder clamps to stop the return. Set the kickout valve to it's minimum setting but still broke the ram bolt after a while (only M10) so changed to a 12.9 and we'll see how we go.

Why didn't you think of that, Druid? :p :ROFLMAO:

View attachment 20709
didn't want a 'looong' splitter Doob .... our Morso's a small hearth so won't be cutting anything longer than 12"and didn't need anything with a lot of daylight

S

Smiffy

(20) Marketplace – 16ton log splitter | Facebook

This is where the Adjustable height table kicks in so that when the ram is fully returned it's only a couple of inches from the top of the log
Or if really fancy like the bindeburger machines the have the auto return height adjustable
Rather than having a latching spoil that just kicks out under added pressure at the end of the ram stroke, they have a spool sprung so It is constantly pumping to retract the ram then a length of chain attached to the splitter head that pulls the spool back to neutral
By adjusting the chain you change the resting height of the splitter
Also means as soon as you let go of the levers it starts to retract no need to knock them up

S

Smiffy

Here is a video of the posch machine it shows the height being adjusted

M

Monkeybusiness

UK EU CE ones have to be two hands on the controls to comply.
It’s funny really, as they are all largely made to be easily bypassed to allow single-handed operation (but that is obviously a total hse no-no.)
I watched Oxdale demoing their splitters at the APF many moons ago and the guy was flying through the timber. He wasn’t happy when I pointed out how his demo machine was set up wasn’t how they sold them or how customers could put them to use...

diggerjones

diggerjones

Yeah thats what i was going to do. But i took the other lever off in the end.
I thought about the return like you've already discussed but for same reasons as you i didn't bother. Plus if the log dose'nt quite split through the ram will hold it while you pull it apart by hand