Druidic Dabblings and General Twaddle !!

V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
Friday evening ..... came down about 5pm ......

WP_20191129_23_40_41_Pro.jpg

then just after midnight the temp. noticeably leapt up and it all vanished :) .... must've risen by 10 deg.s in a matter of half an hour ?

got these set out Saturday, between barrowing piles of garden crap and burning it for Pam ....
WP_20191129_14_40_28_Pro.jpg

Mr Hermes arrived Saturday evening about 7.30 ...... with these :giggle:

WP_20191201_12_35_23_Pro.jpg

WP_20191201_12_36_23_Pro.jpg

fifty quid each ... had to be had ... third of new price... not a mark on the one and t'other's done maybe a couple of holes at best .... can never have enough tools ;)

Set up the 70,s yesterday ..... between yet more barrow fulls of prunings for burning ..

WP_20191201_13_47_57_Pro.jpg

WP_20191201_13_48_32_Pro.jpg

was gonna have a day on 'em all today .... bad night last night though :( ... just surfaced - pissed 🤪 ... and been reminded it's Monday ... so tha's another two hours shot, when we get me 'plugged in' ...... might get to run the genny up after lunch 'praps :rolleyes::unsure: .... if Pam's no other plans :rolleyes::oops:o_O

lovely sky last night ......

WP_20191201_16_50_16_Pro.jpg

WP_20191201_16_50_44_Pro.jpg

and was pretty crisp, 'bout half six, this morning ... -6C .... just before I eventually got to sleep :mad:

V8Druid

V8Druid

What's an adsl filter?
" An ADSL Line Filter or ADSL Low Pass Filter is a device which separates signals intended for ADSL modems from voice signals. Most of the human voice is at sound frequencies below 3000hz. ADSL works by sending signals along a phone line which are at higher frequencies than those used for human voice "

1575305469557.png

dunno WTF ours keep dying ......... but they do and yon 'net just don't work :mad: :mad:
I don't even have a phone plugged into the land line .... too many bloody 'nuisance' calls ... even registered with the 'phone preference service' ... these tossers just ignore the fact you're on the do not call lists.
anyone wants to speak to me - they have my mobile - and if they don't, I really have no interest in talking to them ;) as I've not given them my number :giggle:

Just found this ... searching for the info above Jim ......... " You should change your DSL filter every 3 months or 3000 packets, whichever comes first. " !!
never seen that recommended anywhere before :unsure::oops:

T whiting

T whiting

We normally kill a filter every couple of years have you tried buying a better quality one?

Cyberprog

Cyberprog

" An ADSL Line Filter or ADSL Low Pass Filter is a device which separates signals intended for ADSL modems from voice signals. Most of the human voice is at sound frequencies below 3000hz. ADSL works by sending signals along a phone line which are at higher frequencies than those used for human voice "

View attachment 10441

dunno WTF ours keep dying ......... but they do and yon 'net just don't work :mad: :mad:
I don't even have a phone plugged into the land line .... too many bloody 'nuisance' calls ... even registered with the 'phone preference service' ... these tossers just ignore the fact you're on the do not call lists.
anyone wants to speak to me - they have my mobile - and if they don't, I really have no interest in talking to them ;) as I've not given them my number :giggle:

Just found this ... searching for the info above Jim ......... " You should change your DSL filter every 3 months or 3000 packets, whichever comes first. " !!
never seen that recommended anywhere before :unsure::oops:
3000 packets could be half this web page.

Sounds like rubbish to me!

V8Druid

V8Druid

We normally kill a filter every couple of years have you tried buying a better quality one?
those were BT ones .... I've never had an issue with them before :unsure: .... never changed one in work

Lancs Lad

Lancs Lad

those were BT ones .... I've never had an issue with them before :unsure: .... never changed one in work
Have you tried not using one Druid? They designed to filter voice traffic, now if you've ditched yer landline then ain't needed?

What broadband provider you with? I'm guessing yer on standard steam powered like us ...😏

Oh and hello everyone! Great forum ...I've lurked for a bit but like this thread and thought I'd jump in..

J

Jimoz

Never changed one of those in my life but know what they are now. To be fair I probably change provider every couple of years so new modem and new filter then

V8Druid

V8Druid

Never changed one of those in my life but know what they are now. To be fair I probably change provider every couple of years so new modem and new filter then
neither had I until these started giving trouble .... :mad:

V8Druid

V8Druid

Have you tried not using one Druid? They designed to filter voice traffic, now if you've ditched yer landline then ain't needed?

What broadband provider you with? I'm guessing yer on standard steam powered like us ...😏

Oh and hello everyone! Great forum ...I've lurked for a bit but like this thread and thought I'd jump in..
the sockets are different on the leads to the router LL .... so has to be in circuit ...it still needs to filter the varying tone levels apparently, in use or not.

wish I could ditch the landline :(.... only reason it's there is for BB ...
with SSE for BB - two quid a month, but line rental is still £19 ...
has been a lot better since binning BT's crap efforts at BB. Still steam powered, sadly, but as good as it gets at over 3 miles from the local exchange and a UK helpline !!:giggle:

Glad you enjoy me thread Boyo ... and the forum in general .... @Regy53 's done a great job on setting it up .... look forward to hearing more from you (y)

Cyberprog

Cyberprog

You can get a NTE with integrated filter now also.

Packets are as they say, a packet of data - generally defined by the MTU, so for most people 1500bytes of data or less. With 10g ethernet you can push the MTU up towards 12000 bytes per packet which increases transmission rates.

A packet contains information;

Source IP
Destination IP
Source port
Destination port
Protocol
Sequence Number (as data can be split into multiple packets)
Then the Data (or payload), and then a trailer with a CRC value (CRC is pretty neat. It takes the sum of all the 1s in the payload and adds them together. The result is stored as a hexadecimal value in the trailer. The receiving device adds up the 1s in the payload and compares the result to the value stored in the trailer. If the values match, the packet is good. But if the values do not match, the receiving device sends a request to the originating device to resend the packet. )

V8Druid

V8Druid

as said .... Sunday night was 'crisp' again .....

WP_20191202_01_34_15_Pro.jpg

and still was yesterday morning .....

WP_20191202_09_17_26_Pro.jpg

as said above/earlier ..... yesterday was a bit of a 'write off' :mad:

had a great, but very different sky to end the day with .....

WP_20191202_16_35_33_Pro.jpg

WP_20191202_16_34_13_Pro.jpg

today however has been a different story .... least it was 'til I had to go 'grand-dad-ing' about half two :rolleyes: to watch Clara's second swimming lesson ... after my presence was 'requested', as she left for nursery, this morning!!

kicked off the day with some 70 mil.s .... genny ran up fine and we were in business ...(y)
WP_20191203_10_28_04_Pro.jpg

although I'd set this out already, it was nice to check me measurements with the DRO on the Ajax ...

WP_20191203_10_46_50_Pro.jpg

Spot on would adequately describe it :giggle::giggle:

the broach presented a lovely 70.1 mil hole ... which was perfect for the pins, as a nice slide fit

WP_20191203_11_09_58_Pro.jpg

WP_20191203_11_10_26_Pro.jpg

WP_20191203_13_15_45_Pro.jpg

then it was time to give the 80 mil.s a try

WP_20191203_13_15_32_Pro.jpg

these were a tad more 'interesting to hang on to ... didn't want to trust them to a machine vise ... can never guarantee parallel in the bar stock and DID NOT want anything hopping about with 150 quidsworth of new broach buried elbow deep :oops::cry: .... miss my old off cut stocks from work when it comes to packing summat :(:rolleyes: ... wish I'd kept more :cry::cry:

.....Anyway, got it set up and .......

V8Druid

V8Druid

pressed the go button on't genny ....... and ****ing sod all :mad::mad::mad: ... done it to me again !! earths off re-cleaned, although they looked perfect ... nothing ... going through the motions, but still sod all :cry:
fannied about checking all sorts and was contemplating 'jumping' the low current solenoid, to kick the starter's solenoid in, when i noticed a diode straddling the live terminal and earth on it??? Curious?? :unsure: ... had it off, crimped up the spade a tad .. pressed the go button and we were in biz :confused: .. again?? :giggle:

one 80.15 mil hole later ......

WP_20191203_14_14_23_Pro.jpg

........and a sweet as fit on a well greased pin ... jeez they'm heavy lil' sods .. and on to the next ...

WP_20191203_14_37_03_Pro.jpg

WP_20191203_14_43_56_Pro.jpg

it's fast approaching half two and I had to give up for the day :( .... would've liked to have stuck this in the band saw and sized them up, before shutting the genny off, but ..... it'll start in the morning :rolleyes: ... it better had anyway :mad:

just to give you an inkling ;)...... can you see where this is going??? :unsure::giggle:

WP_20191203_14_46_01_Pro.jpg

WP_20191203_14_46_21_Pro.jpg

hopefully ... a lot more to come, tomorrow ...... forecast is dry :giggle::giggle:
Bit more machining and it'll be MIG time (y)😁

V8Druid

V8Druid

DPD have a new service ...... next day month delivery ..... dunno WTF this has been o_O:unsure::unsure: ... been reimbursed by seller and assumed I'd never see it so got another from elsewhere ?? (phone battery)

WP_20191204_20_21_18_Pro redacted.JPG

V8Druid

V8Druid

well she started first flick this morning :giggle:... and no grief all day (y):giggle::cool:

first up to bat was the Startrite .....
WP_20191204_11_51_44_Pro.jpg

WP_20191204_12_04_59_Pro.jpg

get a truer cut elevating it off the bed and kinder to the blade .. not running in a looong curf ;)

Ajax was next up .... playing drilling machine this morning ....

WP_20191204_12_31_43_Pro.jpg

I don't bother clamping anything under 16 mil. .... much quicker ...

Out with the M16 taps ...

WP_20191204_12_49_33_Pro.jpg

pin retainers tapped in both plates and on to splitting me spreader tubes ... 88.9 CHS with a 5mm wall just ain't quite big enough inside ... 4mm wall would've been, but didn't have any/couldn't get any :( ..... so :sneaky: ...

WP_20191204_13_42_11_Pro.jpg

WP_20191204_14_56_39_Pro.jpg

and re-set the carrier, ready to set up the pins parallel with each other ... in every plane ;)

WP_20191204_15_19_50_Pro.jpg

and stitched the one on ... followed by some very careful measuring ... in every plane to get t'other one dead on

WP_20191204_15_41_34_Pro.jpg

WP_20191204_15_50_57_Pro.jpg

WP_20191204_15_50_43_Pro.jpg

before adding a few tacks to that one too ....... then the light and the bloody cold beat me .... :mad:
been raw here today, for standing about, fiddling, with a N Easterly to take your ears off :(

All ready for the morning ..... hoik the SEC out the trailer and get it over to the bench for a trial ... this is gonna be a 'Drema to handle it jobbie ... the 80 mm
pins on their own are a handful .. two o' them and two 70,s plus all the ironmongery is waaaaaay too much for one pair of hands :oops:... plus I'll need 'em to align everything:rolleyes:;)
if it fits it'll get braced up in position, then off for a weld up and get some bosses made up for the 70,s (y)
the spreader tubes for the 80,s'll get crammed full of grease ... don't want them getting stuck ............... and I can see how it looks on't Miller :giggle::giggle:(y)

then it'll be a case of lose all the sharp edges and corners :) ............ after Clara has been delivered to nursery:rolleyes::giggle: .. there all day tomorrow and it's 'sposed to be dry yet again (y)

Last edited: