1997 lifton dumper question/issue

  • Thread starter heritage machining
  • Start date
heritage machining

heritage machining

Well-known member
Yes I will today I did try to adjust the stops on the lever arm that the cable from the pedal goes to but it made no difference so I put it back to what it was it looks very similar to the hydrostatic drives on the John Deere mowers
 
heritage machining

heritage machining

Well-known member
Pics of pump
 

Attachments

  • IMG_20230424_095738430_HDR_copy_864x1152.jpg
    IMG_20230424_095738430_HDR_copy_864x1152.jpg
    344 KB · Views: 191
  • IMG_20230424_095804644_HDR_copy_864x1152_1.jpg
    IMG_20230424_095804644_HDR_copy_864x1152_1.jpg
    290.6 KB · Views: 171
Mick-the-fitter

Mick-the-fitter

It’s what I do!
These two hex head caps seem to be your f/r arv’s but I guess looking at them, they are adjusted by shims, if it’s better in reverse than forward take the springs and shims out and swap sides! Try not to lose parts the oil in there will push parts out when the caps are off!
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0644.jpeg
    IMG_0644.jpeg
    128.2 KB · Views: 160
heritage machining

heritage machining

Well-known member
The flow from the pump and the fast slow lever goes up to a separate shuttle valve for fwd reverse
 
heritage machining

heritage machining

Well-known member
Hose comes off the bottom of the pump up to the valve in the top right of the pic then one to fwd and one to rev
 

Attachments

  • IMG_20230424_112827533_HDR_copy_1152x864.jpg
    IMG_20230424_112827533_HDR_copy_1152x864.jpg
    293.3 KB · Views: 189
heritage machining

heritage machining

Well-known member
Yes it's the manual one 4 hoses 1 feed off the pump 1 return a fwd and a rev standard type of reversing valve but unsprung with a detent so it stays in fwd or rev or neutral
 
heritage machining

heritage machining

Well-known member
That's what has me stumped as in theory it should be the same unless there is an issue with the motors but I done think so
 
V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
lack of flow in the forwards direction ... damaged valve shuttle?
 
Mick-the-fitter

Mick-the-fitter

It’s what I do!
Change the forward hose for the reverse one see if it changes anything!
 
heritage machining

heritage machining

Well-known member
When I got it it had the slow or no go in fwd and good in reverse so after inspection of the shuttle valve and finding damage on the sliding part which I think was because someone shifted from fwd to rev without lifting their foot off the go pedal I thought that replacing the shuttle valve would fix my issues it has helped but it's still not right yesterday I got a new set of hoses from flowfit so I will fit them and see if that's it if not I will start swapping fwd reverse round to see if I can make the fault replicate in t other direction
 
V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
When I got it it had the slow or no go in fwd and good in reverse so after inspection of the shuttle valve and finding damage on the sliding part which I think was because someone shifted from fwd to rev without lifting their foot off the go pedal I thought that replacing the shuttle valve would fix my issues it has helped but it's still not right yesterday I got a new set of hoses from flowfit so I will fit them and see if that's it if not I will start swapping fwd reverse round to see if I can make the fault replicate in t other direction
if that's the case it could well be more than just that valve :unsure:
 
heritage machining

heritage machining

Well-known member
Indeed it could but I would be surprised if it was the drive motors as they work well in reverse
 
heritage machining

heritage machining

Well-known member
Seems a lot better after hoses and pipe replacement will go up a reasonable gradient not sure what it's supposed to go up seems the same in fwd and rev only thing I have done I filled it with 32 oil then realised it needs 46 will it make any difference or shall I drain a bit out and put in some 68
 
heritage machining

heritage machining

Well-known member
So is it worth draining the 32 weight oil and putting in 46 still looking for a filter for it too it's 45 diameter by 80mm long judging by the filter housing as I don't have the original it was missing when I got it
 
Top