yanmar b08-3 won't start

A

ade033

New member
I have seen many of these little machines over the years and I can tell you without a shadow of a doubt it will be the breaker pedal on the floor plate that is stuck in the slighting ‘on’ position. It catches everyone out with starting issues. It puts a load on the hydraulic pump when cranking and gives the problem you describe. Other people have mentioned it before on this thread but nothing has really been said about it. Check it and double check it, I’m sure you will find this to be your problem if the machine was working ok before this fault.
 
S

sandbags89

Member
I have seen many of these little machines over the years and I can tell you without a shadow of a doubt it will be the breaker pedal on the floor plate that is stuck in the slighting ‘on’ position. It catches everyone out with starting issues. It puts a load on the hydraulic pump when cranking and gives the problem you describe. Other people have mentioned it before on this thread but nothing has really been said about it. Check it and double check it, I’m sure you will find this to be your problem if the machine was working ok before this fault.

hello Ade, did look into this previously as i thought one might be some sort of cut off switch, but when I looked at the manual it seemed as though their functions were irrelevent. I've attached diagram and photo to show you what we have:

IMG_20220518_182441.jpg
IMG_20220518_182427.jpg


  1. Lock lever (locks implement control levers)
  2. Control lever for upper structure and arm
  3. Control lever for boom and bucket
  4. Travel/drive levers
  5. Accelerator
  6. Blade control lever
  7. Boom swing pedal
  8. PTO pedal (use for any attachments added) - * is this the pedal you are referring to? i've wiggled this about, and put it into the locked position (for when not using hydraulic attachments) but still no start. Is there any further checks I could do?
  9. PTO lock as mentioned above
  10. track adjuster
  11. swing lock lever
 
S

sandbags89

Member
Ok get yourself a can and a bit of fuel hose, fill the can with expensive diesel, place the can somewhere higher than the injection pump, put the hose in the can, undo the bleed screw on the pump until the fuel drips out, do it up, remove hose at manifold from the the air filter. Put your hand over the inlet manifold, turn it over if bled up, as the engine speed increases take your hand away! Let me know👍🏻

OK Mick just gave this a go. No joy unfortunately. I've got a a shitty little vid to let you hear what was happening. Had to crop that vid down 60seconds because it was me just fiddling around trying to find somewhere to balance the phone 😅

IMG_20220518_190112[10518].jpg

the set up ^^^ correct?


let me know if that was correct. It basically whizzed very fast sucking my hand into the intake, and when i removed it, it turned over as before.

FYI tried to run compression test today also but damn tester kit was a dud. Gauge was dead on it :mad::cautious:
 
Mick-the-fitter

Mick-the-fitter

It’s what I do!
Ok good job, good video, getting all the right sounds, the compression is evident due the change in noise, ok can you remove the injector pipes from the pump and injectors, try not to damage the leak off pipes on the injectors! Full throttle and do again what you did on the vid👍
 
doobin

doobin

Well-known member
I have seen many of these little machines over the years and I can tell you without a shadow of a doubt it will be the breaker pedal on the floor plate that is stuck in the slighting ‘on’ position. It catches everyone out with starting issues. It puts a load on the hydraulic pump when cranking and gives the problem you describe. Other people have mentioned it before on this thread but nothing has really been said about it. Check it and double check it, I’m sure you will find this to be your problem if the machine was working ok before this fault.
Would also cause the stalling at idle before it wouldn’t start. 👍🏻
 
S

sandbags89

Member
Ok good job, good video, getting all the right sounds, the compression is evident due the change in noise, ok can you remove the injector pipes from the pump and injectors, try not to damage the leak off pipes on the injectors! Full throttle and do again what you did on the vid👍

ok will give this a go tomorrow after work and update you with another vid

Show me also the exhaust when turning over!

😅 yes I will position the camera for this
 
S

sandbags89

Member
Would also cause the stalling at idle before it wouldn’t start. 👍🏻

i tried starting it up with this pedal in the locked (off) position and it turns over as previously shown in my original vid. I then tried again whilst pressing the pedal and it causes noticeable power drain when the pedal is pressed... which to me would indicate that pedal is work correctly, no?
 
Bri963

Bri963

Well-known member
i tried starting it up with this pedal in the locked (off) position and it turns over as previously shown in my original vid. I then tried again whilst pressing the pedal and it causes noticeable power drain when the pedal is pressed... which to me would indicate that pedal is work correctly, no?
Without a shadow of a doubt.
 
S

sandbags89

Member
Ok good job, good video, getting all the right sounds, the compression is evident due the change in noise, ok can you remove the injector pipes from the pump and injectors, try not to damage the leak off pipes on the injectors! Full throttle and do again what you did on the vid👍

Hi Mick just about to give this a go... so am I doing the same process without fuel now? If i remove the pipes there will be no fuel feed...
 
S

sandbags89

Member
i feel like i may have misunderstood your instructions. but here is a video either way. As mentioned there is no fuel source as i removed the fuel pipes.

 
Mick-the-fitter

Mick-the-fitter

It’s what I do!
Hi, leave the fuel pipe in the can and bleed fuel from the bleed screw on the injection pump, but remove the injector pipes from the pump by undoing the nuts on the pipes at the pump, put the throttle to full, and see if fuel is coming out of the injection pump when the engine is turned over, (where the pipes were bolted!) If not the next step would be to remove the stop solenoid on the back of the pump, then turn over again, any fuel yet? The exhaust was to show me when turning over if there were any sign of smoke of any colour!
 
Mick-the-fitter

Mick-the-fitter

It’s what I do!
Ok should have watched your vid first, if that is definitely diesel coming from the pump, then you have injection, reconnect the pipes to the pump, and try starting, show me then the exhaust!
 
Mick-the-fitter

Mick-the-fitter

It’s what I do!
Also if you can remove the rocker cover, which is the top with the yellow oil filler cap and Yanmar plate on it, should be 2 x 12mm nuts and a breather pipe, show this in the vid when turning over.
 
S

sandbags89

Member
Ok should have watched your vid first, if that is definitely diesel coming from the pump, then you have injection, reconnect the pipes to the pump, and try starting, show me then the exhaust!
:LOL: well at least i did it right.
okay will do this tomorrow morning and upload a vid of the exhaust

Also if you can remove the rocker cover, which is the top with the yellow oil filler cap and Yanmar plate on it, should be 2 x 12mm nuts and a breather pipe, show this in the vid when turning over.

will do this also (y) cheers mick
 
Top