Workshop press

GazCro

GazCro

Well-known member
a zed could be done the same way, at the dimensions Giles is talking about ...... just put the first bend down and pack it up under the blade then scaff board behind the first bend to lift on
Yeah do able, awkward if it's in middle of a sheet. If you've got a rebar tying gun it's possibly not worth the hassle. I'd give it a go if it was me.
 
Quattromike

Quattromike

Well member-known
What size are the sheets, if it's 4mx2m will be a job to handle in the press brake, might be easier in a folder.
 
S

Smiffy

Well-known member
For complex shapes isn't it quicker to send the drawing into the steel stockists
I don't know if they do whole sheets but definitely do single bars and it doesn't take long to learn to tie by hand
If not using the cable ties like things
Or a tieing gun is less than £50 a week
 
Giles

Giles

Well-known member
For complex shapes isn't it quicker to send the drawing into the steel stockists
I don't know if they do whole sheets but definitely do single bars and it doesn't take long to learn to tie by hand
If not using the cable ties like things
Or a tieing gun is less than £50 a week
I bought both size max guns about 5 years ago when we were doing lots of 16mm x16mm at 100 c/c grids in the factory, been a game changer for us ever since.
 
M

Monkeybusiness

Well-known member
trap it under the blade and a grader MB? ..... not very accurate though .....
I’d bet it’d be accurate enough for a Mog project, there will be more steel than concrete involved anyway!!!
 
Mogman

Mogman

What man as done, man can do, what never has,maybe
Tried with the duck........ no use can’t get a sharp bend where I need it also got to repeat it several times
Then welded a piece of channel to a 3m plate of steel and tried to press it with my blade (no use) grading beam(not tight enough)

This is the shape I want to achieve
965A73ED-6B57-419C-9876-C2AEC0532C1B.jpeg

I have 20 sheets of mesh 2.4x4.8 so want to use what I have👍 plus I do like a challenge 🤔🤣🤣
 
V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
Tried with the duck........ no use can’t get a sharp bend where I need it also got to repeat it several times
Then welded a piece of channel to a 3m plate of steel and tried to press it with my blade (no use) grading beam(not tight enough)

This is the shape I want to achieve
View attachment 21292
I have 20 sheets of mesh 2.4x4.8 so want to use what I have👍 plus I do like a challenge 🤔🤣🤣
:oops::oops: you'd need some pretty special tooling to achieve that in a press brake .....
usual rule of thumb is you struggle to bend deeper than it is wide in the U if you follow me .....

could be done with swan neck tooling, but'd be sooome offset on the neck .....
1611508806795.png

who the hell came up with that shape Mog?????......

could bend two Ls and a Z and wire it together ... it's buried in conc anyway:rolleyes:
 
GazCro

GazCro

Well-known member
Tried with the duck........ no use can’t get a sharp bend where I need it also got to repeat it several times
Then welded a piece of channel to a 3m plate of steel and tried to press it with my blade (no use) grading beam(not tight enough)

This is the shape I want to achieve
View attachment 21292
I have 20 sheets of mesh 2.4x4.8 so want to use what I have👍 plus I do like a challenge 🤔🤣🤣
Burn the fabric off a load of old mattresses and hey presto.
 
Mogman

Mogman

What man as done, man can do, what never has,maybe
:oops::oops: you'd need some pretty special tooling to achieve that in a press brake .....
usual rule of thumb is you struggle to bend deeper than it is wide in the U if you follow me .....

could be done with swan neck tooling, but'd be sooome offset on the neck .....
View attachment 21295

...

could bend two Ls and a Z and wire it together ... it's buried in conc anyway:rolleyes:
 
Mogman

Mogman

What man as done, man can do, what never has,maybe
:oops::oops: you'd need some pretty special tooling to achieve that in a press brake .....
usual rule of thumb is you struggle to bend deeper than it is wide in the U if you follow me .....

could be done with swan neck tooling, but'd be sooome offset on the neck .....
View attachment 21295
who the hell came up with that shape Mog?????......

could bend two Ls and a Z and wire it together ... it's buried in conc anyway:rolleyes:
I came up with it😳🤔 as I need 9 bars running around the perimeter of the slab🤔 and thought this would keep all the bars spaced evenly and make them ridgid so easier to place and fix, might be a bit tricky to form though😳🤣🤣
 
GazCro

GazCro

Well-known member
I came up with it😳🤔 as I need 9 bars running around the perimeter of the slab🤔 and thought this would keep all the bars spaced evenly and make them ridgid so easier to place and fix, might be a bit tricky to form though😳🤣🤣
A single u shape is possible form a 90 with blade/beam and bucket combo and then ig you have a beam or similar the height you want the two layers apart just fold it down over it. I guess if you needed to hold the beam you could weld a couple of lengths of box to it to sit the blade on from far enough back. Then just make another to lay on top. It's probably doable to fold back on itself if you could space everything apart etc but probs cost more in time than the mesh saving.
 
GazCro

GazCro

Well-known member
Tried with the duck........ no use can’t get a sharp bend where I need it also got to repeat it several times
Then welded a piece of channel to a 3m plate of steel and tried to press it with my blade (no use) grading beam(not tight enough)

This is the shape I want to achieve
View attachment 21292
I have 20 sheets of mesh 2.4x4.8 so want to use what I have👍 plus I do like a challenge 🤔🤣🤣
How far apart do you want the layers and I'm guessing from you diagram they don't have to be connected?
 
V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
I came up with it😳🤔 as I need 9 bars running around the perimeter of the slab🤔 and thought this would keep all the bars spaced evenly and make them ridgid so easier to place and fix, might be a bit tricky to form though😳🤣🤣
bend a U and an L Mog .... wire the L in the U
Untitled.jpg
 
S

Smiffy

Well-known member
I came up with it😳🤔 as I need 9 bars running around the perimeter of the slab🤔 and thought this would keep all the bars spaced evenly and make them ridgid so easier to place and fix, might be a bit tricky to form though😳🤣🤣

If you have the steel already and want to use it
And as I understand it the steel work connecting the 9 bars isn't as important/required in the curved form
Then why not cut the sheets and either tie to make a box if you have enough spare or use one of the spacer products available to stack 3 cut panels on top of each other
With some careful planning you could probably cut to get very little in the way of double bars running nxt to each other
 
V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
I think that’s a cop out 😂😂 if I can bend a U I can flip it over and do the same on the opposite side to form the shape I want👍
yes but remember .... doing it deeper than it is wide is a swan neck job .... my U is equal width/height and the L is the same height as the U ... job done and will have finished it by the time you've pee-ed about and got a quarter of it done in one piece :p:giggle:
 
V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
there yer go @Mogman ... i'm sure your 'stock yard' will have summat suitable kicking about :giggle:
mog's press brake.jpg
 
S

Smiffy

Well-known member
Or another solution bend one strand at a time few degrees at a time until u have the desired shape


On a more serious note we have a rebar bender that is a 5 foot bar with a plate on the end to make an f shape
If you had enough of these for each bar on the mesh just pull it round with a machine
 
Mogman

Mogman

What man as done, man can do, what never has,maybe
there yer go @Mogman ... i'm sure your 'stock yard' will have summat suitable kicking about :giggle:
View attachment 21302
I’ve already got everything I need to build something 👍 even got it cut😉 just need a dry day to weld it up as the MIG in the scrapyard is not working so will have to use mine which means outside welding as need to bend the mesh to put in the floor to sit my shed on🤔😪
 
M

Monkeybusiness

Well-known member
I’ve already got everything I need to build something 👍 even got it cut😉 just need a dry day to weld it up as the MIG in the scrapyard is not working so will have to use mine which means outside welding as need to bend the mesh to put in the floor to sit my shed on🤔😪
Sunny tomorrow - crack on!!!
 

Attachments

  • 2A026367-06CC-42EB-8DBB-54278FBA01B9.png
    2A026367-06CC-42EB-8DBB-54278FBA01B9.png
    440.6 KB · Views: 184
Top