who runs lorries

V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
Is there a limit to the driving you do before it's classed as the main part of your work? We have a jobbie next week where I plan to load up the truck with materials and some gear, drive 6 or so hours down the road, spend approx 3 days working on site with the truck parked up, then load up the gear and drive 6 or so hours back home.
sounds fine, as long as you use a tacho disc and take your breaks for the both journeys

as for "the main part of your work" if more than 50% of your regular working week is taken up with driving, then I think that would fall into "the main part of your work" category if it happened every week .... or more than half of every month. .... if it occurred one week in a month, occasionally, logic would dictate that it doesn't :rolleyes:

Quattromike

Quattromike

Well member-known
sounds fine, as long as you use a tacho disc and take your breaks for the both journeys

as for "the main part of your work" if more than 50% of your regular working week is taken up with driving, then I think that would fall into "the main part of your work" category if it happened every week .... or more than half of every month. .... if it occurred one week in a month, occasionally, logic would dictate that it doesn't :rolleyes:
This is what I’m thinking, for the week it’ll be a six hour drive with the required breaks working onsite staying in digs then he drive home. What I don’t have is proof of weekly breaks and daily breaks leading up to the job as my card is hardly ever in he tacho recording any.

V8Druid

V8Druid

This is what I’m thinking, for the week it’ll be a six hour drive with the required breaks working onsite staying in digs then he drive home. What I don’t have is proof of weekly breaks and daily breaks leading up to the job as my card is hardly ever in he tacho recording any.
the fact that your tacho card is never in should be sufficient indicator as to your freqency of driving ...... unless it's all done within your permissible radius of course :rolleyes:

S

Smiffy

the fact that your tacho card is never in should be sufficient indicator as to your freqency of driving ...... unless it's all done within your permissible radius of course :rolleyes:

No you have to have records of all time in the past month however this can just be a diary
Lack of this is incorrect record keeping and a fine,
Fairly pointless as you can write whatever you like in the diary but still what they insist upon

Mogman

Mogman

What man as done, man can do, what never has,maybe
No you have to have records of all time in the past month however this can just be a diary
Lack of this is incorrect record keeping and a fine,
Fairly pointless as you can write whatever you like in the diary but still what they insist upon
What he said;) I run an artic and some weeks it doesn’t turn a wheel but others can be out all week with nights out too:rolleyes: but have to keep a diary of ‘other work’ and keep it with you in the cab, got caught out one day, left the diary at home got pulled into check point and couldn’t prove I’d had a 9 hr rest so was going to park me up for 9 hrs:eek: luckily was only 10 miles from home so got the bride to bring it:rolleyes: to prove to the knobhead jobs worth:mad:
Still got a £200 fine for my trouble :(:(

Quattromike

Quattromike

Well member-known
I'm now thinking I wish I had a digi card reader. I can easy fill out diary sheets for the past month but it would have to correspond with what's already on the card. Not done alot in the drivers seat so not an issue but its the paper trail that's lacking :rolleyes:

craig

craig

I'm now thinking I wish I had a digi card reader. I can easy fill out diary sheets for the past month but it would have to correspond with what's already on the card. Not done alot in the drivers seat so not an issue but its the paper trail that's lacking :rolleyes:
You should be able to get the info you need if you put your card in the tacho and using the driver printout menus select the days/dates when the cards been In use, or the display driver 1 menus if you don't need a print out.

Quattromike

Quattromike

Well member-known
You should be able to get the info you need if you put your card in the tacho and using the driver printout menus select the days/dates when the cards been In use, or the display driver 1 menus if you don't need a print out.
Ah yes good point. Can you tell I don't use it alot :giggle:

G

Gez_lewis

I'm the same as mogman some weeks I don't drive much some days I can be in a wagon with analogue tacho charts this week been mostly in artic with digi and a night out sometimes do both in same day.
Can drive you a bit potty but is doable. With me it depends on what we are buying or selling that week and need to move .

Driving hours aren't to bad to do I always struggle with time off like being late bk 1 night and need to be out early next day. Especially if I need to swop trailers or load out of our yard.

JD450A

JD450A

Feral as Fk 🐾
luckily was only 10 miles from home so got the bride to bring it:rolleyes: to prove to the knobhead jobs worth:mad:
Still got a £200 fine for my trouble :(:(

Personally I'd be on a mission to take that up with the TC.... it works both ways and if you have proved compliance (which you have) and been not only legal but also accommodating to there demands then where is the need for the fine! Have said for a long time, if I get stopped and theres a issue I feel is unjust I will be immediately requesting a meeting with the TC about it and be handing my O license in with the explanation that I am going to flog the lorry, buy a 3.5t tipper and a tractor and trailer.... Not right that small HGV operators get hammered by DVSA when there are s**t loads of wankers in transit tippers and tractors running benter than a spring! Fair enough fines for proper infringements but IMHO that is beyond the pale.

Got to be honest, the drivers hours is never a issue for me.... working hours however is a utter twat...

Mogman

Mogman

Personally I'd be on a mission to take that up with the TC.... it works both ways and if you have proved compliance (which you have) and been not only legal but also accommodating to there demands then where is the need for the fine! Have said for a long time, if I get stopped and theres a issue I feel is unjust I will be immediately requesting a meeting with the TC about it and be handing my O license in with the explanation that I am going to flog the lorry, buy a 3.5t tipper and a tractor and trailer.... Not right that small HGV operators get hammered by DVSA when there are s**t loads of wankers in transit tippers and tractors running benter than a spring! Fair enough fines for proper infringements but IMHO that is beyond the pale.

Got to be honest, the drivers hours is never a issue for me.... working hours however is a utter twat...
I know what your saying;) but I knew I was over loaded at the time:( so thought my best move was to take that on the chin as apposed to them looking a bit deeper and having a proper fine:whistle: (it was a long time ago now at least 10 years back when I was young, foolish and would carry anything:oops:)

Quattromike

Quattromike

Well member-known
The rumours about Ms Aitkin the TC for Scotland is apparently she is not the best to take up issues with, goes for the jugular :oops:

Quattromike

Quattromike

Well member-known
The rumours about Ms Aitkin the TC for Scotland is apparently she is not the best to take up issues with, goes for the jugular :oops:
OK just checked and turns out she was replaced in February. Shows how much attention I pay to them.

JD450A

JD450A

Feral as Fk 🐾
OK just checked and turns out she was replaced in February. Shows how much attention I pay to them.

Unceremoniously dumped is the term.... With quite a lot of legal disputes pending I believe.

TC's are the backbone of the O licensing system... the fact is we should all be less scared of them and view them as a Judge in court. There are in power to keep the best interests of both hauliers, the public and DVSA in check. I've always found them very accommodating to questions and have no doubt if treated reasonably they would respond in kind. If not and like me your prepared to act on principle then it's a case of playing the long game, which she is about to loose.... big time!

Quattromike

Quattromike

Well member-known
IMG-20190513-WA0002.jpeg

It's fair to say, I didn't have a good day today.
This happened on the motorway south of Glasgow. Bang!! Luckily managed to get her pulled up in the hard shoulder.

V8Druid

V8Druid

View attachment 6604
It's fair to say, I didn't have a good day today.
This happened on the motorway south of Glasgow. Bang!! Luckily managed to get her pulled up in the hard shoulder.
bet that woke you up Mike :oops::eek::eek: .... I've had three 10.00-20s do that to me, over the years on cranes .... reckon they took a few years off my life span and accelerated the onset of the greys .... not a good day :( ... at least your wing survived the 'attack'

Mogman

Mogman

bet that woke you up Mike :oops::eek::eek: .... I've had three 10.00-20s do that to me, over the years on cranes .... reckon they took a few years off my life span and accelerated the onset of the greys .... not a good day :( ... at least your wing survived the 'attack'

But not his rim:( welcome to the world of haulage:oops:

Quattromike

Quattromike

Well member-known
£182 for the new rim. To be fair it happened on the M74 just south of Hamilton, didn't know any of the tyre guys in the area but was up and on the road again in 2 hrs.