What do you guys run?

V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
Off road vehicles are exempt from the rule
off road probably :rolleyes: ...... but on road, would need to comply:unsure: ..... I would have thought, or it makes a nonsense of the whole EU directive :unsure::cautious:

B

Brendan

'S' usually denotes nose weight Brendan ..... never seen one with a greater nose weight rating than 100kgs max. :unsure:.... what make is the hitch?
Alko and a frame has this rating.
To be fair how often does the EU make sense.
it's annoying as had to use a 100mm drop plate to get the towball to correct height but technically the towbar probably isn't rated to take a drop plate. A bit shit really as the tow bar ford supply on the ranger has two holes for towball yet on the brochure they are all 4 hole

Attachments

pettsy

pettsy

Also can’t figure the new L200 twin/tri axle towing differences. Surely there will only be one set of figures on the chassis plate!?

V8Druid

V8Druid

Alko and a frame has this rating.
To be fair how often does the EU make sense.
it's annoying as had to use a 100mm drop plate to get the towball to correct height but technically the towbar probably isn't rated to take a drop plate. A bit shit really as the tow bar ford supply on the ranger has two holes for towball yet on the brochure they are all 4 hole
..... and especially as the 16" centre of ball to G/L has been a UK standard, long before EU/CE standards/reg.s started to rule our lives .
As 99% of trailers are built to this, Ford are supplying a product that is not fit for purpose -- technically ... anyone fancy taking them on :rolleyes: :unsure:

V8Druid

V8Druid

Also can’t figure the new L200 twin/tri axle towing differences. Surely there will only be one set of figures on the chassis plate!?
nah ..... just doesn't make sense :unsure::unsure:

Shovelhands

Shovelhands

I’ve fitted an adjustable hitch plate to my NP300, so the correct hitch height can be achieved, as that’s crucial imo. The OE offering from Nissan is also a bit shit, having only one height for a standard tow ball. I would say that is why people are complaining about the Nissan looking like it’s on its arse when towing, the ball height is simply wrong.

As for checking the nose weight, the old trick of being able to pick the nose up is ok, but expecting to do that with a fully laden tri-axle ifor?....not a chance
It’s also surprising how much just 100kg will make some vehicles sit down, if that load is imposed on the hitch.
With a tri-axle particularly it’s imperative that there is some nose weight, or your going to be in real trouble at some stage.

The reality is, very few people are going to be checking nose weight every time they hook up a trailer, but if it’s a regular combination, then there’s no excuse not to make sure the ball/hitch heights are correct, and from then on, if it looks right, then it probably is right.

V8Druid

V8Druid

Ifor plant trailer 350kg nose weight

Jordan
Just had a look at 3 Ifors here - the 2 new ones both have a nose weight of 10% of their gross (270kg and 350kg). The old 3.5 tonne tipper has an S figure of 150/350 - I don’t know why 2 numbers?
that's the A frame/trailer plate - says the A frame is good for that ...... what's the actual coupling's plate saying??

M

Monkeybusiness

that's the A frame/trailer plate - says the A frame is good for that ...... what's the actual coupling's plate saying??
The last one is the coupling (150/350),I didn’t look on the others but will later.

BertB.

BertB.

Our transportpanzer a 2009 'Fruitliner' with MB engine around 435h.p. and an Allison Automatic both diff's are fully locking. Box has a capacity around 12 cu. yd. It's a pretty handy combination being able to load and haul by yourself on some job sites. I can haul both buckets and the brush cutter with it and fairly easy to hook up.
20170906_154144.jpg
20171101_182221.jpg
20171106_114944.jpg

Routy56

Routy56

So, does anyone actually run a new Ssangyong Musso :p
Spec looks good with a healthy 7 year/150k warranty
But what are they like in the real world towing plant trailers etc :cool:
Will soon be in the market to replace my Disco 2 TD5 with a Pickup Truck.
Have not yet crossed this one off my short list...

B

Brendan

Its the only pickup on the market that has a 7t gtw out of the factory all the other pickups that can tow 3.5t you have to give up payload in the pickup to achieve it.

All depends if you can put up with the look of it, got a local dealer although only seen one on the road and it's a horrible brown colour which does not help it. Spec wise they seem ok but they are lacking on the safety side of stuff, don't think they have been crash tested as of yet

Furniss

Furniss

I could put up with look of it - you cant see it when your drive it and park it in garage on a night :)
None of them look great to me

V8Druid

V8Druid

So, does anyone actually run a new Ssangyong Musso :p
Spec looks good with a healthy 7 year/150k warranty
But what are they like in the real world towing plant trailers etc :cool:
Will soon be in the market to replace my Disco 2 TD5 with a Pickup Truck.
Have not yet crossed this one off my short list...
don't know about the pick ups, but the SUVs were all merc under their SYM skins. engine, tranny, axles, etc. all Mercedes ...... they ain't a bad bus TBH .... and used to be cheap as... have considered one occasionally, as a run around.
A mate bought a flood damaged Merc ... as in a lungful of water ..... could not find a motor for it :(... 'til he discovered SYM ... bought an entire bus for less than the cost of a motor ... and a lot ... if he could've found anyone that actually had one.:unsure:
went straight into the car ;) and cleared a very tidy profit (y)

Driven a couple of the SUVs ... an alright drive ;)

B

Brendan

The older ones had mercedes running gear.
These ones dont although they are based on the SUV just a different body

S

Smiffy

I think they are monocoque so no tipper and rhey look very low but a friend has the previous model and is happy enough with it his is 4 years old bouggt second hand
Not a place for tall people though very cramped cabin dont know if thats changed