Trucks.

Quattromike

Quattromike

Well member-known
We had an older lorry which was a good runner but the killer is the safety inspections you had to carry out. Any older gear takes allot more to keep them in good running order. im not sure what the regs are for non O licence work if you still need to get the 6 weekly inspections or is it just annual MOT.

hiluxman

hiluxman

If it was my money id go iveco, but thats cos i know iveco's and they have never failed me yet.

Quattromike

Quattromike

Well member-known
I’m hedging my bets and have gone and got one out of a cracker

go on, how much?
Nah I don’t know the cost but there’s bound to be a second hand option or a similar low cost version.
is it just solely for lifting tracks and idlers when out on site Coz it seems like a major expense and liability risk for a few days a month. Is hiring an option as and when the jobs come in?

doobin

doobin

You can’t beat being self sufficient. Could be done relatively cheaply I reckon.
If you don’t need much articulation then the smaller hiabs are much cheaper. Fitted an old one to a tracked dumper the other day, only a little thing but the label said it was good for a ton and a half.

M

Monkeybusiness

Would a 2.5 tonne digger on a trailer tick any of your boxes, or not man enough for the lumps you need to shift? Carry everything else in your van (payload permitting).

pettsy

pettsy

There’s a sprinter dropside on eBay that has a crane mount (crane has been removed)

wee_gus

wee_gus

For me, truck is the way to go, I know for a fact that trailer would be stolen if left at my yard! Plus I already get grief of vosa for towing my compressor behind my van, it’s a vosa magnet.

Cheap wagon with a decent crane, or a sprinter chassis cab with a crane would be even better, I would like a crane with a bit of reach

Stubota86

Stubota86

For me, truck is the way to go, I know for a fact that trailer would be stolen if left at my yard! Plus I already get grief of vosa for towing my compressor behind my van, it’s a vosa magnet.

Cheap wagon with a decent crane, or a sprinter chassis cab with a crane would be even better, I would like a crane with a bit of reach

something like this be any good? With a bigger crane though

doobin

doobin

Nah I don’t know the cost but there’s bound to be a second hand option or a similar low cost version.
is it just solely for lifting tracks and idlers when out on site Coz it seems like a major expense and liability risk for a few days a month. Is hiring an option as and when the jobs come in?

I don't reckon there's any such thing as a low cost trailer crane. Bloke on Arbtalk was punting his trailer crane for hire the other day. Looked like the bigger brother of that one, good for around 1.6t. Wouldn't give a day rate but said purchase price around £150k.

I can't see it being viable, you could have a well sorted service truck with hiab for the cost of a few dozen trailer crane hires- i bet that little trailer crane is £300 a day, plus the hassle of collecting and returning it, and what if a job overruns by a day? Easily done if the track pins are seized.

That Merc for £10k looks perfect. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/114136612866 If you use it three times a month you've paid for it in a year, it's a total no brainer.

V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
I don't reckon there's any such thing as a low cost trailer crane. Bloke on Arbtalk was punting his trailer crane for hire the other day. Looked like the bigger brother of that one, good for around 1.6t. Wouldn't give a day rate but said purchase price around £150k.

I can't see it being viable, you could have a well sorted service truck with hiab for the cost of a few dozen trailer crane hires- i bet that little trailer crane is £300 a day, plus the hassle of collecting and returning it, and what if a job overruns by a day? Easily done if the track pins are seized.

That Merc for £10k looks perfect. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/114136612866 If you use it three times a month you've paid for it in a year, it's a total no brainer.
get a decent s/h truck mounted crane for that:oops:

1583171302188.png

1583171519395.png

1583171253547.png

or 3 of these ....... :LOL::LOL:(y) great tools the city crane
1583171659026.png

R

Russell

What about one of these? Stick it in the back of the van so the pikeys can't see it.

C

Canal Navvy

If you could find one a 7.5 tonne earthmover tyre changing truck would be perfect. Big compressor and a manipulator :love: