Trucks.

wee_gus

wee_gus

Right guys, I am on the hunt for a small hiab lorry.
I have seen 2 for sale reasonably local. I was originally going for a sprinter 4x4 with rear mounted hiab but can’t find anything

Both are 1995.

Man L200 with rear mounted pm series model 6 crane new in 2003

Also an Iveco 75E15 with rear mounted pm series mode 6 hiab new in 2003

Or if anyone can recommend anything else?

I want be carrying burning gear and running air gun from an additional air tank fed via trucks air compressor for air gun. Also will have possibly a track press.

JD450A

JD450A

Feral as Fk
I would be strait on the MAN, Gus. Better built lorry that is far more reliable in my experience than the Iveco, Parts are more expensive BUT it will break down less!

Stick to 7.5t for what your doing as you will have to go fully on tacho any larger, but a 7.5t wagon you can run on domestic UK hours within 100km of your base as your only carrying tools and parts for your trade!

R.E the air supply. You won't get the flow required on any small lorry to consistently run a Air gun. The only ones that did have a chance of that where the 1990's ish Merc 7.5 - 13t lorrys fitted with a 366 Engine. that era had two air compressors due to changing regs and would supply just about enough air. Your best bet is just to fit a petrol compressor and have done with it in all seriousness.

That Man is the one!

V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
I had an iveco like that ... was a comfy truck, went well, had exactly 3.5t load cap with a 21ft drop side on it and drove better loaded than empty. stay under 55mph and it'd do 21 mpg .. over that and was down to 13 mpg ... had a six lunger under the cab.
even with 3.5t behind it and a fully loaded bed, it went VERY well.
down side was cab rot and foot brake valves ... yearly item ...
Empty it had terrible traction issues on poor surfaces, but with the Hiab on the arse, that'd not be an issue

as for air ... no way would the truck's compressor run a 1/2" gun let alone anything bigger .. as said ... get an independent compressor, or a PTO driven unit.
I know sod all about the MANs
with the limited load cap. I'd be tempted to go as short as poss on the bed, I think .. if only for access. If you've the license to cover it, you'd get more on an ifor behind it than on the truck and a SWB'd be a major advantage for towing/maneuvering

wee_gus

wee_gus

I am swinging more towards the MAN, budget is the biggest issue, I want to keep it as low as possible, this is only for undercarriage jobs. Would be used a few times a month if that! Hence why I want to go
For an older truck and keep the costs down. Nothing worse when you go to site and no other machine available or machine has short dipper so can’t reach itself.

Like Graham said, I want it as short as possible, the bed will be for biting equipment and possibly a track press, I do have fast tow compressor that I could place in the bed also it weighs sub 750kg

CPS

CPS

Gus, save your self a load of hassle. Hiab on a flat bed trailer 👍

JD450A

JD450A

Feral as Fk
I am swinging more towards the MAN, budget is the biggest issue, I want to keep it as low as possible, this is only for undercarriage jobs. Would be used a few times a month if that! Hence why I want to go
For an older truck and keep the costs down. Nothing worse when you go to site and no other machine available or machine has short dipper so can’t reach itself.

Like Graham said, I want it as short as possible, the bed will be for biting equipment and possibly a track press, I do have fast tow compressor that I could place in the bed also it weighs sub 750kg
You realise you will be needing a O License for it if you carried the tracks/rollers etc.

Exemption - "a vehicle with equipment permanently attached to it for the life of that vehicle. Examples of such equipment include permanently fixed machines or appliances. Additionally, the only other goods or burden that such vehicles are allowed to carry are those essential for use in connection with that fixed equipment. As a general rule, loose tools, cooking equipment, foodstuffs, furniture or display units of any kind or other articles that are not a permanent fixture on the vehicle would not constitute goods that are essential for the use of the fixed equipment."

You could set up with that MAN, with a Fixed (Bolted to the Frame) Road Compressor, Track Pin Press and lifting chains/Equipment. You would have to get any parts delivered to site by other means to stay on the right side of the Law with that.

Last edited:
V8Druid

V8Druid

you can tow up to 750kgs without C & E IIRC Gus .. as a 7.5 tonner ... if you go down the mobile workshop/special vehicle route as Rory suggests, could put a genny on there for welding/powering other gear, like a compressor/power tools/plasma/etc. ;) .. but no towing then :( and run on red, from memory

JD450A

JD450A

Feral as Fk
you can tow up to 750kgs without C & E IIRC Gus .. as a 7.5 tonner ... if you go down the mobile workshop/special vehicle route as Rory suggests, could put a genny on there for welding/powering other gear, like a compressor/power tools/plasma/etc. ;) .. but no towing then :( and run on red, from memory
No such thing as a Mobile workshop anymore unfortunately Grah. Just Fixed Vehicle Mounted Equipment Exemption. Generators, Pumps, Etc. You could swing that Hiab/Track Press setup but would be Very, Very Limited on the tools you could carry!

No way of setting up a Lorry cheaply other than that. You'll spend £5000 on paperwork and first years insurance for a Restricted O license Minimum!

V8Druid

V8Druid

No such thing as a Mobile workshop anymore unfortunately Grah. Just Fixed Vehicle Mounted Equipment Exemption. Generators, Pumps, Etc. You could swing that Hiab/Track Press setup but would be Very, Very Limited on the tools you could carry!

No way of setting up a Lorry cheaply other than that. You'll spend £5000 on paperwork and first years insurance for a Restricted O license Minimum!
bugger !! :( :cry:

wee_gus

wee_gus

This won’t be for carriage of goods, all goods are delivered to site. This is simply for lifting a tracks press, lifting and removing idler assemblies etc whilst on site or in my yard. Will have burning equipment fitted. I could easily bolt a compressor to the bed also.

Yes I do realise and o licence will be required, I am just about to start the process as I eventually would like to have an 8w hiab.

There is no point in me spending a large amount on buying a newer truck for it to sit in the yard most days! Hence why I would like an older truck, thus I can also do all my own maintenance 6w inspections
Etc.

JD450A

JD450A

Feral as Fk
This won’t be for carriage of goods, all goods are delivered to site. This is simply for lifting a tracks press, lifting and removing idler assemblies etc whilst on site or in my yard. Will have burning equipment fitted. I could easily bolt a compressor to the bed also.

Yes I do realise and o licence will be required, I am just about to start the process as I eventually would like to have an 8w hiab.

There is no point in me spending a large amount on buying a newer truck for it to sit in the yard most days! Hence why I would like an older truck, thus I can also do all my own maintenance 6w inspections
Etc.
Sorted then! Little Man run on exemption till you get your O license.... stick under 7.5t and no tacho needed!

wee_gus

wee_gus

The ideal truck for me would off been one of the little transit Hiabs that finning used to have around 10 years also.
3.5t with a decent sized hiab on the back.
I know Josh over at northwest Plant managed to find one

S

Smiffy

As said above if you only want it occasionally the size cranes on those lorry's arnt uncommon on Tri axle ifors
I think there are a couple on eBay atm
Would mean no swapping of tools out of your normal van aswell

Reactions: CPS
CPS

CPS

As said above if you only want it occasionally the size cranes on those lorry's arnt uncommon on Tri axle ifors
I think there are a couple on eBay atm
Would mean no swapping of tools out of your normal van aswell
Exactly.
I bought the Touareg for towing and kitted it out with a small toolbox etc for small break downs etc. You never have everything you need that you would have in your van.

That's why I personally would be going for a trailer with hiab. Could kit it out the same way you want with your lorry with compressor bottles etc.

V8Druid

V8Druid

S

Smiffy

gonna wanna mortgage for that ........ and then you'd have to keep it :unsure::cry: ....... be a right pikie magnet :rolleyes: :oops::mad::mad:
I don't think the cranes quite big enough either tbh but thought it would be a good example and tbh thought with gus's skills building one wouldn't be out of the question
Even starting with a brand new ifor cranes that size arnt expensive second hand often less than a grand for something that needs some work or there is this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/223931990080. That looks ready to go
Plus the petrol powerpack parts come in less than the 7.5 tonners above
And the labour to do the work would be outweighed by the running cost of the lorry so probably only a year or 2 before building the trailer becomes the cheaper option

GazCro

GazCro

Crane will take a fair bit of payload off the trailer as well. Third axle loses about 70 kg off the payload too. I know people say tri axles tow better but there's nothing wrong with tandem axle trailers loaded properly.