tree shears 10% off

Hg2702

Hg2702

Well-known member
Why not try a mechanical grab to start with
They are certainly better than nothing and if used a lot can then be sold on to upgrade

unfortunately one of the disadvantages of having a tilting hitch is not being able to have a mechanical one 🤦🏼‍♂️ Used to have one on my old tb016. Half the trouble is whilst I’m off at the minute I’ve got more time to think 🤣
 
Hg2702

Hg2702

Well-known member
Dont' work well with a Powertilt- you loose most of the grip force and it's clumsy as hell.




You'll use it A LOT. However, under your tilt hitch and on such a small machine weight will need to be the overwhelming decision-affecting criterea. That rules out Bucket Warehouse and their s**t steel I'm afraid mate.


My Intermecatto TG16 is around 75kg plus top plate, and that's a fair bit even without tilt hitch on a 1.7t machine- remember you will be trying to lift a lot more with it too. I've no experience with the baby Intermecatto log grip type, but at 25kgs upwards they're very light and if they are made from the same steel as my TG16 then I'd say with perhaps a pair of flat plates welded on the bottom (one side offset to pinch if that's what you want) they might be ideal to run on a baby machine under a Powertilt.


im upgrading to a 2.2 ton machine and the bucket warehouse grab is 65kg with a headstock so weight wise there’s not a lot in it. I have been in discussion with dr pecker about intermercato grabs
 
doobin

doobin

Well-known member
im upgrading to a 2.2 ton machine and the bucket warehouse grab is 65kg with a headstock so weight wise there’s not a lot in it. I have been in discussion with dr pecker about intermercato grabs
If you're going up to a 2.2t machine then I'd definately consider the bit I aded to my post about running the Powertilt under a normal Q/H- it's a joy to use (with 1.7t size buckets) on my 2.7t.

Get a cheap Q/H to move you rmachine on with, then spec your new machine with a mix/match q/h (with the new buckets having the TB016 size pins also) to pick up your Powertilt (and any specialist buckets you already have). This is exactly what I've done with all three machines (1.2, 1.7 and 2.7t) and it's versatile to say the least. Powertilt fits all. Ripper fits all. Buckets technically fit all, and you can pick the right size for a job. I've even had the Tigergrip on a micro for a specialist job, saved days of labour. It's futureproof too if you're thinking of extra machines down the line.
2019-10-31 10.07.00.jpg

Note the micro shell bucket on the mini under the Powertilt also.


For a grab, the Tigergrip is worth every penny more than the Bucket Warehouse crap.
 
GazCro

GazCro

Well-known member
Thing about some attachments is that it isn't always how much you're going to use it, but how much time/hassle you'll save when you do. But trust me you'd use one a lot when you have one. Regarding there thumb idea (which won't work really with powertilt anyway so doesn't matter) there only for if you're on a mega tight budget imho, so numb to use as you can only pick stuff up from one position and put it down in similar way. I don't think you'll better intermercato
 
doobin

doobin

Well-known member
Thing about some attachments is that it isn't always how much you're going to use it, but how much time/hassle you'll save when you do. But trust me you'd use one a lot when you have one. Regarding there thumb idea (which won't work really with powertilt anyway so doesn't matter) there only for if you're on a mega tight budget imho, so numb to use as you can only pick stuff up from one position and put it down in similar way. I don't think you'll better intermercato

On the flip side, they are great for grubbing out. Add a hydraulic backstay and you have a pretty good compromise for a small machine. Did a load of brambles with my micro on a tight access job the other day, two of us for three hours, £470. And no I didn't have to march her down the cashpoint, she had it ready with a smile on her face :ROFLMAO:

I would have loved to get the E27 with rotator and Intermecatto in there, but realistically it was all the job needed.
2020-04-08 09.26.37.jpg
2020-04-08 11.21.37.jpg
2020-04-08 09.13.55.jpg
 
doobin

doobin

Well-known member
Thing about some attachments is that it isn't always how much you're going to use it, but how much time/hassle you'll save when you do. But trust me you'd use one a lot when you have one. Regarding there thumb idea (which won't work really with powertilt anyway so doesn't matter) there only for if you're on a mega tight budget imho, so numb to use as you can only pick stuff up from one position and put it down in similar way. I don't think you'll better intermercato
Sorry, just realised you said thumb not grapple. Agreed, a thumb is not worth a wank.
 
Grahams

Grahams

Don't complain - suggest what's better
On the flip side, they are great for grubbing out. Add a hydraulic backstay and you have a pretty good compromise for a small machine. Did a load of brambles with my micro on a tight access job the other day, two of us for three hours, £470. And no I didn't have to march her down the cashpoint, she had it ready with a smile on her face :ROFLMAO:
I bet she was well pleased. From having an area that looked virtually unusable to a lovely open wooded area in half a day and less than £500 was a bargain.
 
doobin

doobin

Well-known member
I bet she was well pleased. From having an area that looked virtually unusable to a lovely open wooded area in half a day and less than £500 was a bargain.
Gardener's World strikes again ;) :ROFLMAO:

To be fair to Eddie, I'm 90% sure that the hydraulic backstay was an idea he suggested on ArbTalk which I mananged to get working. I've even got two rams- one for the mini and one for the micro. Also, if I hadn't read his orignal write up in Earthmovers I'd probaby still be chasing brambles around with a bucket o_O

The great thing about bramble clearance with a grab is that a lot of the roots come out, and you weaken the infestation more than just flailing.
 
K

Komatsu

Well-known member
I have been in discussion with dr pecker about intermercato grabs
you’ve also got to take into consideration the resale should you want to move it on in the future, they (intermercato) hold there money very well, and if it means just saving up a bit more to get one, I’d do that, you pay cheap, you pay twice.
Like I said, I only bought mine for one pacific job quite a few years ago now, got a selector grab, that works fine, but the intermercato is my go too one now, and used all the time, and am very pleased I spent that little bit more to get it rather than going to a competitor, even had some tips for teeth put on the end now🙂[/QUOTE]
 
Grahams

Grahams

Don't complain - suggest what's better
you’ve also got to take into consideration the resale should you want to move it on in the future, they (intermercato) hold there money very well, and if it means just saving up a bit more to get one, I’d do that, you pay cheap, you pay twice.
Like I said, I only bought mine for one pacific job quite a few years ago now, got a selector grab, that works fine, but the intermercato is my go too one now, and used all the time, and am very pleased I spent that little bit more to get it rather than going to a competitor, even had some tips for teeth put on the end now🙂
I have only used a selector grab and a log grab. What do you find better with the open tynes than a bar across the bottom like a log grab?
 
K

Komatsu

Well-known member
I have only used a selector grab and a log grab. What do you find better with the open tynes than a bar across the bottom like a log grab?
Open bottom, just gives you the extra option to be able to dig down into stuff to then be able to rip it out, was doing this a lot with mine, hence why I had teeth put on the tips, but you can also be gentle enough to be able to lift logs out without doing any damage to them, giving you the best of both worlds.
 
Hg2702

Hg2702

Well-known member
Well I think you’ve all solved the issue here and will eventually help dr peckers bank balance 😅 I’m sticking with a power tilt on the next machine but with the same buckets so if a second one turns up mainly for self drive we can swap attachments but not the tilt this machine will be for me and my chap only ! Thank you everybody for your input 👍🏽
 
Hg2702

Hg2702

Well-known member
Also like the option of adding a rotator later on on the inter grab, there’s a lovely plaadet ( I think that’s the name ) grab but it’s £3500 🥴 the rotator is built in and looks more protected but again it comes down to money being used elsewhere
 
GazCro

GazCro

Well-known member
Open bottom, just gives you the extra option to be able to dig down into stuff to then be able to rip it out, was doing this a lot with mine, hence why I had teeth put on the tips, but you can also be gentle enough to be able to lift logs out without doing any damage to them, giving you the best of both worlds.
If your handling piles of branches old hedge etc the open tines will actually stab down between branches so you can get hold of bigger piles. As said already can also grub roots out the ground with them as well
 
Hg2702

Hg2702

Well-known member
When I spoke to dr pecker about it we discussed having some bolt on cutting edges 👍🏽
 
doobin

doobin

Well-known member
When I spoke to dr pecker about it we discussed having some bolt on cutting edges 👍🏽
I keep meaning to do this with my Tigergrip. Only thing is- where do you have the bolt holes? At the bottom of the tines would weaken them.

For my upcoming demolition job I'll just weld a pair on.
 
doobin

doobin

Well-known member
Well I think you’ve all solved the issue here and will eventually help dr peckers bank balance 😅 I’m sticking with a power tilt on the next machine but with the same buckets so if a second one turns up mainly for self drive we can swap attachments but not the tilt this machine will be for me and my chap only ! Thank you everybody for your input 👍🏽
If you are paying to have the bosses modified on the powertilt to fit the new machine, I'd seriosuly consider buying a Q/H instead and running it underneath as and when. That tilt is going to rob a lot of grab breakout force.

They're great things, but only 25% of the time IMHO. The rest of the time I don't want it. Bulking, ripping, grab work- all these things are hindered by a powertilt.
 
Hg2702

Hg2702

Well-known member
If you are paying to have the bosses modified on the powertilt to fit the new machine, I'd seriosuly consider buying a Q/H instead and running it underneath as and when. That tilt is going to rob a lot of grab breakout force.

They're great things, but only 25% of the time IMHO. The rest of the time I don't want it. Bulking, ripping, grab work- all these things are hindered by a powertilt.

It’s not being modified it’ll be a new unit as Im selling the digger fingers crossed there still interested after all this with the power tilt on

a lot of my work is tight spaces make it work so the power tilt on is a time saver and having run it opposite the same machine and the same buckets the difference wasn’t gobsmacking. The grab would mainly be used for tidying up I’ve got a ripper for roots 👍🏽 The cats classed as 2.2 in weight but the supply them with 1.5 ton buckets so my current set will fit 👍🏽
 
Grahams

Grahams

Don't complain - suggest what's better
I keep meaning to do this with my Tigergrip. Only thing is- where do you have the bolt holes? At the bottom of the tines would weaken them.

For my upcoming demolition job I'll just weld a pair on.
If Ollie put teeth on his I guess he must have holes to pin them on. Would also mean you could have a flat plate made up and welded to spare teeth so easy to put on if needed. Maybe Ollie has photos? I think I have seen a picture of it when the teeth were new, but can't remeber how they were fitted.
 
Top