The ideal trailer......

6

6feetdown

Well-known member
The Ifor Williams gh1054 is 64" from memory, wouldn't bother with tri axle you`ll lose around a 100kg payload, you must be close to the weight already with a DX27?
Agree with you about the 12x6, I`ve got a GH126 and its a fair size (width) in somewhere tight.
I was looking at the gh1054 but glad I went for the slightly longer Brian james 1 at 3.6m
 
Richard Hunton

Richard Hunton

Well-known member
these guys do anything suitable Rich? .. good quality stuff ..... used to buy all my running gear off them, mid 90's onwards, when Bramber stuff got hard to find (they went bust, Peak bought all their rights, but didn't continue a lot of their products for a while)
View attachment 31373 View attachment 31374 View attachment 31375 always had piles of their products/running gear about the shop
One of theres looks very similar to what I have now, abite not as wide internally, @V8Druid do you have a point of contact for prices etc?
 
M

Monkeybusiness

Well-known member
I’ve got the same digger (but in white). I also have several trailers, and none of them are perfect!
That digger fits (as if it were made to measure) on our Ifor GH1054 - that’s the lightest trailer we have that it will sit on and potentially the only one that is legal when loaded (we haven’t actually weighed anything combined to date…).
We also have a 12x6 Ifor tipper which the digger sits on perfectly, and would be the trailer I would keep if I could only have one - it does everything and is incredibly versatile.
Finally, it also tows incredibly well on our Bateson 16 foot triaxle tiltbed which I actually use more than all the other trailers. It’s got a really low loading height, is massive, and has the best tie-down points of any trailer I’ve used. It runs 10’’ low profile wheels/tyres (to keep the floor low) which are crap though - they are extremely fragile and burst for fun (unlike the 13 inch 185 Savero heavy duty tyres on the other trailers mentioned here, which seem to love pain and abuse).
 
6

6feetdown

Well-known member
Picked this up Friday posted on a different chat
20220116_204054.jpg
 
V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
One of theres looks very similar to what I have now, abite not as wide internally, @V8Druid do you have a point of contact for prices etc?
https://www.meredithandeyre.co.uk/images/PDF/Trailer-Price-List.pdf

0161 368 6414
I used to deal with the sales manager called Mike Carson ... a good ten years ago, or Mr Meredith (IIRC it was Frank?) himself, but'd be surprised if he is still with us :( ... If you do get to talk to Mike, if he's still there (be my age) give him my regards.
 
V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
Yeah but it depends what part of a perfect trailer you are going to sacrifice.
Needing an o license or the selection of little problems with 3.5t trailers.


The biggest ifor plant trailer is a pig of a thing even behind a lorry.
The wide but slightly shorter versions are lovely behind a 7.5t lorry.
A twin axle gx106 behind a 7.5t tipper will get places a twin cab transit tipper won't
and that un is too big behind a 7.5t ... it'd be a full C&E
 
doobin

doobin

Well-known member
I’ve got the same digger (but in white). I also have several trailers, and none of them are perfect!
That digger fits (as if it were made to measure) on our Ifor GH1054 - that’s the lightest trailer we have that it will sit on and potentially the only one that is legal when loaded (we haven’t actually weighed anything combined to date…).
We also have a 12x6 Ifor tipper which the digger sits on perfectly, and would be the trailer I would keep if I could only have one - it does everything and is incredibly versatile.
Finally, it also tows incredibly well on our Bateson 16 foot triaxle tiltbed which I actually use more than all the other trailers. It’s got a really low loading height, is massive, and has the best tie-down points of any trailer I’ve used. It runs 10’’ low profile wheels/tyres (to keep the floor low) which are crap though - they are extremely fragile and burst for fun (unlike the 13 inch 185 Savero heavy duty tyres on the other trailers mentioned here, which seem to love pain and abuse).
I second this. The ideal trailer doesn't exist, but if you are only moving plant and in particular a DX27, the Ifor GH1054 is pretty much perfect. It should come with the 13" Savero tyres but double check.
 
Lancs Lad

Lancs Lad

Well-known member
I second this. The ideal trailer doesn't exist, but if you are only moving plant and in particular a DX27, the Ifor GH1054 is pretty much perfect. It should come with the 13" Savero tyres but double check.
Have to say they are damn good. My favourite. 👍
 
Giles

Giles

Well-known member
I’ve got the biggest Bateson for plant it’s great to load as low full width sprung ramp, everything fits on inc my thwsites 3 ton swivel dumper. But it’s long and wide and despite being careful the tyres get a beating on narrow lanes etc if you meet a someone who isn’t so aware of their road position or on tight corners etc. Go through wheels and tyres for fun especially if others use it like my dad who took it through a 6ft restrictions when the bed alone is 6ft by 12’

Had a blow out Friday on snake pass with a bit of weight on the Bateson, tried to sneak the last 2 mike’s to yard but didn’t make it.

my ifor tipper tows beautifully and nimble, I have to back into drive every night,

I’ve been thinking ifor triaxle next with the better 13” wheels.

i don’t think the perfect trailer exists we’ve currently got ifor 6x12 tipper, Bateson 6x12 plant, Batesons 6x12 drop side, challenger 5x10 mini digger and indespension 8x4 mini digger trailer rather than having one that does it all.
 

Attachments

  • 0B40C8B6-C924-4435-AC70-4674F467BEE6.jpeg
    0B40C8B6-C924-4435-AC70-4674F467BEE6.jpeg
    353.4 KB · Views: 312
  • 9CA5B023-6A3B-440D-8879-17F3C1C3D76B.jpeg
    9CA5B023-6A3B-440D-8879-17F3C1C3D76B.jpeg
    149.9 KB · Views: 311
  • B7957B65-46DA-4E6D-8881-22CB6A2128BB.jpeg
    B7957B65-46DA-4E6D-8881-22CB6A2128BB.jpeg
    395.7 KB · Views: 344
V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
I’ve got the biggest Bateson for plant it’s great to load as low full width sprung ramp, everything fits on inc my thwsites 3 ton swivel dumper. But it’s long and wide and despite being careful the tyres get a beating on narrow lanes etc if you meet a someone who isn’t so aware of their road position or on tight corners etc. Go through wheels and tyres for fun especially if others use it like my dad who took it through a 6ft restrictions when the bed alone is 6ft by 12’

Had a blow out Friday on snake pass with a bit of weight on the Bateson, tried to sneak the last 2 mike’s to yard but didn’t make it.

my ifor tipper tows beautifully and nimble, I have to back into drive every night,

I’ve been thinking ifor triaxle next with the better 13” wheels.

i don’t think the perfect trailer exists we’ve currently got ifor 6x12 tipper, Bateson 6x12 plant, Batesons 6x12 drop side, challenger 5x10 mini digger and indespension 8x4 mini digger trailer rather than having one that does it all.
looks seriously over loaded in that one pic Giles
 
V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
The one with the punctured tire before it crumpled? Dumper is 2400kg mixer is 250kg trailer is 800kgish muds a bit more
Ah, right ..... lucky t'other didn't let go too then :unsure::oops:
 
Giles

Giles

Well-known member
Ah, right ..... lucky t'other didn't let go too then :unsure::oops:
I was 2 miles from yard so only 1 mile or so of main road tyre was fecked anyway thought I’d chance it, had to change it bottom of the hill though so should have just changed it. But at 3pm on Friday thought air gun proper jack etc but got caught out
 
Giles

Giles

Well-known member
L

Looks nose heavy mind which soon overloads tyres on front axle which is the problem when stuffs a neat fit in plant trailers and you can't get the sweet spot
Better having bit of nose vs tail, had a foot each end spare but loading it on rough track on hill tough to get it perfect but had a few adjustments before I strapped it.
 
GazCro

GazCro

Well-known member
Better having bit of nose vs tail, had a foot each end spare but loading it on rough track on hill tough to get it perfect but had a few adjustments before I strapped it.
It is better that way yes but if trailer is low at the front the front tyres stand no chance if running near full weight.
 
CPS

CPS

Well-known member
The perfect trailer doesn't exist as far as I can see 😁
I have had this thought many times, I had an Ifor Williams gx106 which was ok and a decent enough allrounder for me! But i was wider than than the van and on the narrow roads around here it was just to wide when meeting asshole car drivers that just don't see a trailer sticking out the side of a van.... even with a load of marker lights it was just to hairy!
I then bought the Brian James I have now and it is probably the best allrounder for me. Its 4.5m inside and is pretty long when in a tight spot, but that said I can get it most places I could get he 10 x 6 plant trailer. it also tilts which is handy at times. But on our way to a show last year it blew a tire off on the way, wasn't a big deal I had the spare, but we had no time to get it changed and on the way home the spare blew of too🤬🤬 at 11PM , I drove it on at a very slow place (further than Giles I Bet:LOL:)...... so it got me thinking that a tri axle would probably have been able to limp home a little better, so I called the following week about one, which was on a January delivery...... but I never ordered it:sneaky:
I have to say the Brian James is a brilliant trailer, super quite on the road and tows brilliant behind the van.

Then I saw the Brian James Cargo plant on the dealers Facebook page, I like the look of it. its 3.1m x 1.6m and has just over a 2.8 ton payload, but I'd have to keep my other trailer as I like the size of it and the features it has.

I have even considered building my own plant trailer to my own spec, it could still happen but is well down the list at the moment 😁
 
J

Justme

Well-known member
and that un is too big behind a 7.5t ... it'd be a full C&E
But perfectly ok behind a 6.5T vehicle on a C1E non restricted licence.

I doubt you will find many C1 class vehicles that are rated to tow it anyway so pushed into a bigger vehicle anyway.
 
Big Jordy

Big Jordy

Well-known member
we have two little MAN 7.5 tonners rated to 18000kg GTW at work that have VBG hitches full air electrical etc to rear and they tow the same type of trailer as the MAC but manufactured by farlow engineering and they are 9000kg gross trailers pulling mini diggers, skid steers about.. actually quiet a few of the utility outfits here use 7.5tonners with air, suzies etc on a Dixon bate 5500kg ball and pin hitch and either tow the Dale kane 5.5ton or MAC trailer..

Jordan
The old indespension challengers where the other way round and the drawbar so short that if you do get a machine far enough forwards with the bucket on the bucket rest the boom is virtually through the back window of the tow vehicle

As for ultimate trailer these will get close
Just a problem finding a tow vehicle
 
V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
we have two little MAN 7.5 tonners rated to 18000kg GTW at work that have VBG hitches full air electrical etc to rear and they tow the same type of trailer as the MAC but manufactured by farlow engineering and they are 9000kg gross trailers pulling mini diggers, skid steers about.. actually quiet a few of the utility outfits here use 7.5tonners with air, suzies etc on a Dixon bate 5500kg ball and pin hitch and either tow the Dale kane 5.5ton or MAC trailer..

Jordan
as far as I am aware 7.5s are max 12t GTW ... truck's axles'd be too small to go another 6 tonne :unsure::oops:
 
Top