T whiting
Well-known member
Absolutely that's how I started learning with my dad 

Maybe I'll start training him up while we are here on lockdown....Absolutelywork of any kind will help develop the young workforce.
Yep think that most of the skills for guys on here are from on the job trainingAbsolutely that's how I started learning with my dad![]()
I would encourage him. Give him as sense of the real world and no matter what he does after uni it will help him to have another perspective on things rather than just what teachers and social media tell him.So what do you guys think, should I use him on a casual labour basis?![]()
I been on a 'casual labour basis' at home for the last 18 yearsRyan our 16 yr old grandson has been living with us since the lockdown started UFN. He loves my boys toys and helps do something every day
View attachment 13909
Heโs a very handy dumper operator and can get by on the mini.
He starts 6th Form in September then will be going to University
Today over lunch, he asked me if he can work with me when on holidays etc
Got me thinking, I often need a Groundworker/banksman/dumper driver. All my work is small sole operator jobs
So what do you guys think, should I use him on a casual labour basis?![]()
Yep agree that all skillls are transferable. First one will be to get up early and get on with the jobIt's surprising what skills you can teach him that can cross over to whichever path he chooses for his career. Like Pascal's law for hydraulics which is used in almost every we do
Yep definitely got him interested. He was asking me stuff this evening like how many days do I usually workabsolutely, no question.... learning some skills and gaining knowledge, which he can take with him where ever he goes and whatever he does is pure gold ... and he'll probably be surprised in future, just how he can apply some of it .... and even earn a few bob here and there too hopefully![]()
Think heโll find it interesting especially when I show him how a good work ethic pays offI would encourage him. Give him as sense of the real world and no matter what he does after uni it will help him to have another perspective on things rather than just what teachers and social media tell him.
aye ... that's the greatest lesson a lot of youngsters need to learn ..... there are no free lunches ... but anyone with some skills can usually earn oneYep definitely got him interested. He was asking me stuff this evening like how many days do I usually work
Being semi-retired it can vary. So I told him I can be flexible but not usually weekends
I will need to teach him the value of money starting next week![]()
another great lessonThink heโll find it interesting especially when I show him how a good work ethic pays off
At his age for many years I had two jobs![]()
Yeah youโre right thereNot to mention that you probably can't get anymore reliable than a grandson. Most cheap labour turns up on days you don't need them and skives when you do need them. Everyone's a winner rodders
Tell all, I havenโt seen one of them before.I also had a bit of time to fit one of the 12v jetwashes in the back of the duck
she sure looks in her natural habitat mate! Like itโs still on the drainage board, poor thing must be sick of it by now![]()
Tell all, I havenโt seen one of them before.