T Whiting Excavations

Routy56

Routy56

Well-known member

A little video of me trimming with the grading beam it works really well with the offset boom for running along kerbs
Love the video :love:
Now you have gone and reminded me that I now want to add a grading beam to my long list :LOL:
I'll probably end up having a go a fabricating one from the RSJ off-cuts laying around my yard :p
 
T whiting

T whiting

Well-known member
That's all I did with mine 2 pieces of RSJ and a couple of pieces of angle for the wings all I bought is the pins and the piece of plate for the back
 
F

fred

Well-known member
put it under the tilty and follow the curves of the kerbs!
 
JD450A

JD450A

Feral as Fk 🐾
I'm not a lover of beams... we have made a few up now and tried them with/without laser receivers on and TBH not been over impressed finding they wind up costing time, particularly if under a standard hitch.... BUT.

As always Tom, doing a lovely job and demonstrating the benefits for a change, which most aren't capable of.
 
Routy56

Routy56

Well-known member
That's all I did with mine 2 pieces of RSJ and a couple of pieces of angle for the wings all I bought is the pins and the piece of plate for the back
That's great Tom - I've just flicked back to yer photo when you welded it up and printed it.
Hope here's no copyright on it :ROFLMAO:
Now if you (or anyone else) has tips or info' when knocking one up from RSJ then it could be useful.
Guess what we will be doing when it goes quiet 😇
 
Shovelhands

Shovelhands

Well-known member
I'm not a lover of beams... we have made a few up now and tried them with/without laser receivers on and TBH not been over impressed finding they wind up costing time, particularly if under a standard hitch.... BUT.

As always Tom, doing a lovely job and demonstrating the benefits for a change, which most aren't capable of.
I don't think they are for every job, but in the right place and the right material they are great, and speed things up no end. I did a large are with type1 granite, got it near enough bob on with a bucket, rolled it once without vibe and then trimmed the last 15-25mm with the beam, dud a tidy and quick job, and certainly changed the mind of one particularly sceptical person, who thought I’d bought a useless pile of iron 😂🤦‍♂️

Its also important to be able to carry a bit of material on the blade though, especially if you are levelling heaps with it.
 
Routy56

Routy56

Well-known member
I don't think they are for every job, but in the right place and the right material they are great, and speed things up no end. I did a large are with type1 granite, got it near enough bob on with a bucket, rolled it once without vibe and then trimmed the last 15-25mm with the beam, dud a tidy and quick job, and certainly changed the mind of one particularly sceptical person, who thought I’d bought a useless pile of iron 😂🤦‍♂️

Its also important to be able to carry a bit of material on the blade though, especially if you are levelling heaps with it.
Great advice James - the trouble with me is that if I see something that is useful I'll want one.
At least some scrap metal will get welded together :LOL:
BTW - the Navara is the "dogs bollocks" and continues to please while earning it's keep
IMG_7646.jpeg
 
T whiting

T whiting

Well-known member
put it under the tilty and follow the curves of the kerbs!

I'd love to I just need to find a tilty first! 😲

I'm not a lover of beams... we have made a few up now and tried them with/without laser receivers on and TBH not been over impressed finding they wind up costing time, particularly if under a standard hitch.... BUT.

As always Tom, doing a lovely job and demonstrating the benefits for a change, which most aren't capable of.

Thankyou yes its not for every situation it's good for leveling large areas to no particular level or trimming when there's about the right amount in already and tidying up site at the end of the week.

I don't know what to do about laser recovers I might add a staff holder next time it's in the yard

That's great Tom - I've just flicked back to yer photo when you welded it up and printed it.
Hope here's no copyright on it :ROFLMAO:
Now if you (or anyone else) has tips or info' when knocking one up from RSJ then it could be useful.
Guess what we will be doing when it goes quiet 😇

Yes the only thing I'd change is I'd make the lip bigger on the back to carry more material I've made it 9"

I don't think they are for every job, but in the right place and the right material they are great, and speed things up no end. I did a large are with type1 granite, got it near enough bob on with a bucket, rolled it once without vibe and then trimmed the last 15-25mm with the beam, dud a tidy and quick job, and certainly changed the mind of one particularly sceptical person, who thought I’d bought a useless pile of iron 😂🤦‍♂️

Its also important to be able to carry a bit of material on the blade though, especially if you are levelling heaps with it.

Yes I'd definitely go plate over a roller having used both
 
Hg2702

Hg2702

Well-known member
Just flick back through the photos of the beams after using mine this week and I’m not sure it helps much on a mini digger due to reach mind you mine could do with a re-design

I’ll add is was literally made by anything we had
 

Attachments

  • 2488FF58-5BC0-48C9-8E06-9ED91BDE40CE.jpeg
    2488FF58-5BC0-48C9-8E06-9ED91BDE40CE.jpeg
    391.6 KB · Views: 277
V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
65mm it must be quite wide though as I had to butcher that scoop bucket to make it fit I'll Chuck a tape in it in the morning
be circa 250mm at a guess ..... that's a hell of a hook jaw on that ... will have to be trying, to drop anything out o' that :oops: ... what range of centres will that pick up Thomas .... roughly what did that set you back??
 
T whiting

T whiting

Well-known member
be circa 250mm at a guess ..... that's a hell of a hook jaw on that ... will have to be trying, to drop anything out o' that :oops: ... what range of centres will that pick up Thomas .... roughly what did that set you back??
Yes it's somewhere around there I know it just fits between the ears on the scoop bucket.

The big hook looks like it'll work well and allows the front lock to be quite simple as all it has to do is slide forward farther than up/down.

About 1k for the hitch and another 300 for the piping/wiring kit and valve to fit it
 
V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
Yes it's somewhere around there I know it just fits between the ears on the scoop bucket.

The big hook looks like it'll work well and allows the front lock to be quite simple as all it has to do is slide forward farther than up/down.

About 1k for the hitch and another 300 for the piping/wiring kit and valve to fit it
pretty good that (y)..... plenty of 65 mm stuff about Thomas ... and some bargains to be had, if you can afford to sit back
 
T whiting

T whiting

Well-known member
Yes I'm going to get to euros on Saturday and get a 18" and a ditcher after that I'm in no hurry and can pick things up cheap I only paid 150 for that scoop bucket 😉
 
T whiting

T whiting

Well-known member
I've had a look and the hitch is 250mm wide and having had a wander round euros with a tape measure it looks like that's fine for everything except miller scoop and cat buckets which have a 225mm dipper width
 
Top