Sell the pickups quick

S

Smiffy

Well-known member
£85k!!! Maybe if it had a big diesel V8 (like a proper Land Cruiser) but definitely not with the Hilux power train.

There are a few, what I presume to be US imports with V8 petrols.
And as I recall the V8 turbo diesel in the proper land cruisers where only ever 200hp stock. So no difference in actual power. Maybe in reliability though
 
6

6feetdown

Well-known member
I do believe Ford had a huge issue with the rear axles… in that they didn’t work and had no replacements? And don’t Nissans split in half? And the newer Hilux 2.8 L engine is just very poor!
It’s all steering us all into leasing, something I never want to do!
Exactly why I believe the new vehicle costs are so high and over inflated
 
S

Stroppymonkey

Well-known member

85k truck with a 201hp 4cylinder engine…. I know it’s not all about power and size… but that’s going to be very sluggish in such a big truck!!
Tis enough surely ? That’s 34 more horses than the Dmax and that isn’t shy.
His was a left hand drive import, but with leather etc not work spec property spec. Think his was Australia /New Zealand spec where the older boxier ones are Middle East Africa spec
I didn’t get a chance to go back and check it out properly .. will do if I see it again.
 
Lancs Lad

Lancs Lad

Well-known member
Problem is the days of pickups being a long term purchase are long gone.... No make is bomb proof.... Toyota's are getting a name for being rot boxes under the tubs... Ford Ecoboom, Nissans eat turbos, Mitsis are just well Mitsis and unfortunately Isuzu have won the hearts of the utility industry and feel they can charge whatever they want for parts.

IF someone had the balls to develop a basic chassis cab 4x4 that retailed for £20-40k and you put your own body on it'd sell astronomically well..... But they won't. Because the yuppie twat market is too good.
Exactly what the grenadier looked like it could be but sadly every one I've seen appears to be driven by folk who are even more green oval snobs that actual LR owners.
But considering they are going through auctions at 36 shows their actual width so I reckon it's technically feasible for a 30k chassis cab with a 6cyl diesel?
 
Gunners

Gunners

Well-known member
Exactly what the grenadier looked like it could be but sadly every one I've seen appears to be driven by folk who are even more green oval snobs that actual LR owners.
But considering they are going through auctions at 36 shows their actual width so I reckon it's technically feasible for a 30k chassis cab with a 6cyl diesel?
They should have developed a single cab really. That should squeeze it under the weight issue of not being able to carry 1t in the back and therefore hit all the VAT exemptions we all want. They do sell a chassis doublecab but its still too heavy for the 1t rule.
A single cab with some space for coats behind the seat, no extra doors to stay clear of the new rules, for £30k with all the good bits the Grenadier has going for it - I might be tempted.
But the real problem for all these new trucks is my 2018 Navara was £22k, drives lovely, and is exceptional on fuel - getting 45mpg on my 50 mile commute into London atm. And for all the stop start/ 20mph limits I'm going through I thought that was exceptional!

No idea what I'm going to do in 2029. But the old Defender is still sat on my drive and it might well get resurrected again. Could fully rebuild it for less than £20k and just say no to ULEZ jobs. Get something nice as a car for outside of work - nice 996 Porsche or something. Or maybe I can retire by then :LOL:
 
Lancs Lad

Lancs Lad

Well-known member
They should have developed a single cab really. That should squeeze it under the weight issue of not being able to carry 1t in the back and therefore hit all the VAT exemptions we all want. They do sell a chassis doublecab but its still too heavy for the 1t rule.
A single cab with some space for coats behind the seat, no extra doors to stay clear of the new rules, for £30k with all the good bits the Grenadier has going for it - I might be tempted.
But the real problem for all these new trucks is my 2018 Navara was £22k, drives lovely, and is exceptional on fuel - getting 45mpg on my 50 mile commute into London atm. And for all the stop start/ 20mph limits I'm going through I thought that was exceptional!

No idea what I'm going to do in 2029. But the old Defender is still sat on my drive and it might well get resurrected again. Could fully rebuild it for less than £20k and just say no to ULEZ jobs. Get something nice as a car for outside of work - nice 996 Porsche or something. Or maybe I can retire by then :LOL:
Retire and buy a GT3 RS 😜
 
pettsy

pettsy

Well-known member
No idea what I'm going to do in 2029. But the old Defender is still sat on my drive and it might well get resurrected again. Could fully rebuild it for less than £20k and just say no to ULEZ jobs.

If more people stood up and said no to going inside these LEZ they would have to do away with them!. The money they draw in doesn’t magically fix the air it just fills someone’s account balance.
 
S

Smiffy

Well-known member
They should have developed a single cab really. That should squeeze it under the weight issue of not being able to carry 1t in the back and therefore hit all the VAT exemptions we all want. They do sell a chassis doublecab but its still too heavy for the 1t rule.
A single cab with some space for coats behind the seat, no extra doors to stay clear of the new rules, for £30k with all the good bits the Grenadier has going for it - I might be tempted.
But the real problem for all these new trucks is my 2018 Navara was £22k, drives lovely, and is exceptional on fuel - getting 45mpg on my 50 mile commute into London atm. And for all the stop start/ 20mph limits I'm going through I thought that was exceptional!

No idea what I'm going to do in 2029. But the old Defender is still sat on my drive and it might well get resurrected again. Could fully rebuild it for less than £20k and just say no to ULEZ jobs. Get something nice as a car for outside of work - nice 996 Porsche or something. Or maybe I can retire by then :LOL:

45mpg is astonishing. 2.4ltr Hilux wouldn't touch that for sure. With me driving it sits at 27.5 whilst towing a trailer twice a week. Can get up to 30 with prolonged periods of no trailer motorway miles and taking the beacon of the roof.
If anyone else uses it it comes back with 25 mpg on the dash.
On road tyres as well.
 
JD450A

JD450A

Feral as Fk 🐾
Be interesting what the ranger does. It seems to think it's doing 400 miles on a tank at the moment :oops:
 
B

Brendan

Well-known member
My 2023 2.0 ranger is utter crap on fuel, will not break 30mpg empty or even 29. Hook a trailer up and even empty it's just over 20mpg, stuck the machines on and it's sub 20, old 3.2 wasn't fantastic on fuel but better than the 2.0
 
S

Smiffy

Well-known member
My 2023 2.0 ranger is utter crap on fuel, will not break 30mpg empty or even 29. Hook a trailer up and even empty it's just over 20mpg, stuck the machines on and it's sub 20, old 3.2 wasn't fantastic on fuel but better than the 2.0

Ahh but the 2l is better for the environment
 
Storrsy

Storrsy

Well-known member
Be interesting what the ranger does. It seems to think it's doing 400 miles on a tank at the moment :oops:
What's the size of the tank. My disco does about 350 miles to a tank but when I work it out it's about 18mpg. So a truck doing more like 25 could easily do 400 on similar size tank
 
William127

William127

Well-known member
My 2023 2.0 ranger is utter crap on fuel, will not break 30mpg empty or even 29. Hook a trailer up and even empty it's just over 20mpg, stuck the machines on and it's sub 20, old 3.2 wasn't fantastic on fuel but better than the 2.0
Mine was just the same, thought it would shoot up when I reset the trip and went to Edinburgh from Hertford and back. Just about broke 30 on the way up, back down to 27.5 by the time I got home.
 
Top