Ricky Magee and Sons Plant Hire

GazCro

GazCro

Well-known member
Well you may think it’s harsh, that’s your opinion.

Rory has indeed been critical where need be and also praised things where he feels it’s worthy.

I myself do not deny it when there are improvements to be made and quality should be better. But I hope I make those comments based on experience.

Constantly slating a brand and their individual products based on hearsay is not constructive IMO and I think that is a bit harsh, but that’s just my opinion.

Where is the proof that JCB reduce the quality of components after a few years? They may just use shite from the start? Or they may not? They may inadvertently reduce quality as a side effect of reducing production costs, but can anyone prove that?
Relentlessly bashing JCB is just getting a bit tiresome. I know Gaz has owned them and I think he still has one or two JCB machines? And I’m sure he has some valid opinions based on the machines he’s owned and their respective quality. But how can anyone honestly have a balanced opinion about a machine they may never have operated, let alone owned?
I fear that much of JCBs online reputation is based on gossip rather than real experiences and people jumping on the bashing bandwagon.
You may or may not notice I've not specifically criticised the x series or many other jcb models as like you rightly say I've not driven them. I cannot or do not want to give any proof as to the component quality statement as i do not want to drop anyone in it. I'm not saying that other companies don't do the same thing they maybe do but i don't have anyone telling me others do it.
Only jake product i still have is telehandler and i keep thinking of changing it to a newer one and would likely stay jcb. Trouble is everyone tells me to stick with the one I've got as the newer ones aren't as good.
Maybe the reputation they have now is unfounded by many, myself maybe included but if they turn a corner for long enough they will leave it behind and not keep dragging it along with them.
Like i said i didn't want it to become a bashing thread i was intending it to be more of a constructive criticism (there is a difference).
 
Thomas7740

Thomas7740

Well-known member
Only bad experience ive had with JCB has been an 8035 zts, just horrid. Been on a few different JS130s, a 145 and 8085 and they have all been good diggers, the 2017 JS130 plus was a super digger. Da has been on bigger JCBs on a demolition job, 240s and 330 from what i remember, and again, no complaints at all.

I think James is right, in that a majority of people who slate JCB, dont have personal experience of them, just jump on a band wagon. Likewise people will have bad experiences and thats fair enough, same as owners of any brand.

Personally i would have no hesitations buying a JCB, only thing put me off the 8026 was lack of boom swing to the left. I spend a day loading soil with a 55z - 1 and it was lovely, hope they carry that style down to the 2. 5 to 3.5 ton range
 
Gunners

Gunners

Well-known member
Don't get your knickers in a twist boys. Hitachi are doing a tie up with Tata, the quality of this machine looks to rival the Chinese manufacturers. Your favourite machines just got lower quality...
 

Attachments

  • 159038126_1208767922895064_2544360667139525588_o.jpg
    159038126_1208767922895064_2544360667139525588_o.jpg
    195.9 KB · Views: 238
Thomas7740

Thomas7740

Well-known member
Don't get your knickers in a twist boys. Hitachi are doing a tie up with Tata, the quality of this machine looks to rival the Chinese manufacturers. Your favourite machines just got lower quality...
Really got my hopes up when i seen EX, then seen the full picture and badly disappointed 😂
 
GazCro

GazCro

Well-known member
Don't get your knickers in a twist boys. Hitachi are doing a tie up with Tata, the quality of this machine looks to rival the Chinese manufacturers. Your favourite machines just got lower quality...
Didn't harm landrover
 
M

Monkeybusiness

Well-known member
I heard those new ones were s#t. Loads breaking down, typical landrover, look great but cant stay bolted together. No room for your right arm either - well there wasn't in their last model so must be the same in the new one......... 🤪

*Lights touch paper and runs away*
How good they are is irrelevant sadly - they will flog plenty of them on the caché of the brand name. Premium product sold to the well-heeled - cost pretty much the same as any other 4 wheeled box to produce now so plentyofmargintocoverwarrantyissuesarama!!!
 
Bri963

Bri963

Well-known member
This reducing quality of components isn’t restricted to JCB, they all do it to an extent. I call it accountant’s engineering; they’re constantly looking to drive down cost, and sometimes they get it wrong when picking suppliers or processes and the quality goes down the pan. I’ve seen it many times. Seen it with muck shift, landscaping and civils owners as well, they set out to do everything well, and after a few years they just want to do it cheap,.
 
F

fred

Well-known member
all i can say is I've never sat in a JCB that made me think, this is a quality machine. Functional yes.

Would I buy one ? No chance when they charge a premium price for a non premium product.

The Brits do tend to just put up with poor quality and s**t service how else could our pre-jap automotive industry have existed.
 
Bri963

Bri963

Well-known member
"I fear that much of JCBs online reputation is based on gossip rather than real experiences and people jumping on the bashing bandwagon"
Exactly that 👍
No it's not. Personally I wouldn't comment on their whole range, but my comments on certain newer machines have been based on personal experience.
 
V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
all i can say is I've never sat in a JCB that made me think, this is a quality machine. Functional yes.

Would I buy one ? No chance when they charge a premium price for a non premium product.

The Brits do tend to just put up with poor quality and s**t service how else could our pre-jap automotive industry have existed.
this is exactly what I was saying elsewhere, recently ... mediocrity and the it'll do attitude is the problem with so much manufacturing these days. Yes they'm not the only ones who spoil what have the potential to be great products with this attitude sadly and it is well documented, by many end users with experience of it - case in point above.
Pity Graham Rush D4C isn't on here.
I don't want to fall out with anyone over it, but you really do just have to read the plethora of comments, complaints and illustrations which form the basis for the prevailing opinions, that go to demonstrate the 'could've been great, but for ....' image and rep. gained.
Would be nice to think that, as someone else has said, their new 'gen' stuff could 'pull them round that corner' and away from that image that really hasn't just appeared from thin air -- as the old adage goes ..." There's no smoke without fire"
 
JimboCX

JimboCX

Well-known member
I’v never had a jcb digger. But I did have a Fastrac. And it broke my heart. Lost count of the number of times it let me down. I wasn’t sorry to see it go out the gate for the last time. I have drove hired JCB diggers and I really didn’t like them. See a photo of a hydrodig doing the rounds on Facebook today with its boom laying in a heap in front of it. I got a trip to the factory a few years ago and I have to say that was one of the most enjoyable day trips I have ever had.
 
JD450A

JD450A

Moderattor🐾
Genuinely not looking to start a bashing thread but not been out long enough yet and i don't mean not enough with decent hours on the clock yet i mean not long enough for jcb to start fitting cheaper components. They may not do this for a change but that would be a big shift in the way they work as a company.
To be blunt It's rare I feel the need to ask the question, but have you just done a line of crack and are looking for things to fault? All companies fit cheaper/alternate components through the lifespan of the machine.... Personally even the Dogshit JS series didn't suffer from that complaint, nor have I seen any other JCB's suffer from "cheap bits" being added...... Quality control issues I will happily slag on about all year but I'd say that's lack of care, not seeking cheaper components.

The 220X I drive is fast getting on for 5 years old.... It was one of the first production machines and started life as a standard excavator before becoming a long reach. The only thing I can fault on it is the utter dogshit paint...... But looking at some other new marques recently I'd say JCB aren't alone in that issue.

I'll slag a machine off all day long if it warrants it..... I don't do false praise or f****ng backhanders/gifts from Reps. Speak as I find. I like JCB's New generation mini excavators, and the X series....... Quality control is piss poor and finish quality leaves things to be desired but on the whole they are a excellent brand atm...... Just factor in the need to repaint it sooner or later.

The one thing that does f**k me off big time (and it's the same for all marques) is the desire of manufacturers to get a s**t "journalist" * to chase the low-loader, take photos and then make up a article in there head..... I'd gladly praise the 220X.... I love it. I love it more than the 200hr Case CX130D LR i've had the past couple weeks.....
 
GazCro

GazCro

Well-known member
To be blunt It's rare I feel the need to ask the question, but have you just done a line of crack and are looking for things to fault? All companies fit cheaper/alternate components through the lifespan of the machine.... Personally even the Dogshit JS series didn't suffer from that complaint, nor have I seen any other JCB's suffer from "cheap bits" being added...... Quality control issues I will happily slag on about all year but I'd say that's lack of care, not seeking cheaper components.

The 220X I drive is fast getting on for 5 years old.... It was one of the first production machines and started life as a standard excavator before becoming a long reach. The only thing I can fault on it is the utter dogshit paint...... But looking at some other new marques recently I'd say JCB aren't alone in that issue.

I'll slag a machine off all day long if it warrants it..... I don't do false praise or f****ng backhanders/gifts from Reps. Speak as I find. I like JCB's New generation mini excavators, and the X series....... Quality control is piss poor and finish quality leaves things to be desired but on the whole they are a excellent brand atm...... Just factor in the need to repaint it sooner or later.

The one thing that does f**k me off big time (and it's the same for all marques) is the desire of manufacturers to get a s**t "journalist" * to chase the low-loader, take photos and then make up a article in there head..... I'd gladly praise the 220X.... I love it. I love it more than the 200hr Case CX130D LR i've had the past couple weeks.....
I'm talking switching fairly major bits which completely change how a machine operates. Can be a big disappointment if you try a machine and think that's how yours is gonna be if you buy one. They may have learned and turned a corner on this time will tell.
 
JD450A

JD450A

Moderattor🐾
I'm talking switching fairly major bits which completely change how a machine operates. Can be a big disappointment if you try a machine and think that's how yours is gonna be if you buy one. They may have learned and turned a corner on this time will tell.

But that happens with all manufacturers too. :unsure: Takeuchi for one have done it a few times.
 
GazCro

GazCro

Well-known member
But that happens with all manufacturers too. :unsure: Takeuchi for one have done it a few times.
I'm not saying that others don't and it's not always driven by manufacturer it could be component supplier stopping producing a part which forces a change. But if its seriously detrimental to how the machine works its a big sickener if you've bought a machine after trying one and the one you end up with is vastly different in a negative way. Like I've said already they may have stopped doing this.
 
Gunners

Gunners

Well-known member
But that happens with all manufacturers too. :unsure: Takeuchi for one have done it a few times.
Now come on Rory, Takeuchi don't fit bad components - they just don't fit them at all..... Like a fuel gauge!!!!

Anyway, Furniss has a point. We have somewhat hijacked Thomas's thread - and he didnt even buy a JCB!
How's that Wacker getting on? Its got a lot to live up to replacing an EX30
 
Top