Reached 50hrs

Gunners

Gunners

My JCB was 500hrs for its first service - so thats what it got. My Navara is 18k to its first service and thats getting that too. Sure if you want to run it forever to a million hrs then changing the oil more is the way to go. But I dont think its worth it personally for the time we keep these things.

S

Smiffy

My JCB was 500hrs for its first service - so thats what it got. My Navara is 18k to its first service and thats getting that too. Sure if you want to run it forever to a million hrs then changing the oil more is the way to go. But I dont think its worth it personally for the time we keep these things.
When it's new it doesn't need doing when its old it's not worth doing 😜

hiluxman

hiluxman

Ive always done an engine oil and filter at 50 hours. Then i aim for 200 hours max on swapping oil and filter, oil and filters are cheap and takes very little in terms of effort or time.

I keep filters on the shelf and as i use one i order another.

M

Monkeybusiness

Kubota and JCB etc will specify ridiculous service intervals on diggers to appeal to the hire market - lower overall cost of ownership etc. They will aim to sell them dozens at a time, and in reality they will be auctioned off before any long-term engine issues present themselves.
Other plant manufacturers using Kubota engines will have to adhere to whatever stipulations Kubota (or whoever) specify for engine warranty purposes. I’m pretty sure that engine suppliers need to be involved/consulted with regards packaging/cooling/filtration/dutycycles etc with new machinery, and all of this impacts on service stipulations.

D

deuce22

I spoke with the service centre today and they said that the gear oil is the only thing to change.

doobin

doobin

I spoke with the service centre today and they said that the gear oil is the only thing to change.
Well they're a bunch of morons in my book...and you'd be penny wise and pound foolish not to change the oil as the engine manual tells you to!

Sadly dealers often know fuck all about the workings of the kit they sell. I've had Cautrac tell me twice there are no hydrostatic filters on my new dumper, despite there being a very obvious blue catridge filter plus the manual says there's a return filter also. When I pointed this out to the sales guy, he told me that the yard guys told him it was a washable filter!:ROFLMAO: A washable catridge type OIL FILTER!!!

The salesman has done his best, but I've been less than impressed with the technical and organisational skills at Cautrac. First I bought a 250 hour three year old used machine- when it turned up it was beat to shit, hydrostat whining, all original filters (desite them saying it had been serviced as per the book),everything bent and bits falling off. The fitter had had a go at welding the tailgate and made a right pigs ear of it, 20mm gap one side and the lugs all twisted. Oh, and diesel all over the top of the engine. Fair play to them, I video called them, told them to take it back and sort it out with the finance to sent me a new one. They did, and said to just use it whilst they were sorting the finance house out. But every time someone from the 'yard team' has given the salesman something to relay to me, it's been a crock of shit from someone who clearly knows fuck all about mechanics and plant.

Very glad I went new, and I'll never depart from that policy again for frontline kit after three brand new diggers. A 250 hour used machine is just enough time for some cunt to wreck it, and the savings don't justify the risks. The new machine is much faster and the hydrostat isn't whining. An oil and filter change may well improve the old machine, but I didn't fancy it for 3.5k saving.

TiltyShaun

TiltyShaun

Well they're a bunch of morons in my book...and you'd be penny wise and pound foolish not to change the oil as the engine manual tells you to!

Sadly dealers often know fuck all about the workings of the kit they sell. I've had Cautrac tell me twice there are no hydrostatic filters on my new dumper, despite there being a very obvious blue catridge filter plus the manual says there's a return filter also. When I pointed this out to the sales guy, he told me that the yard guys told him it was a washable filter!:ROFLMAO: A washable catridge type OIL FILTER!!!

The salesman has done his best, but I've been less than impressed with the technical and organisational skills at Cautrac. First I bought a 250 hour three year old used machine- when it turned up it was beat to shit, hydrostat whining, all original filters (desite them saying it had been serviced as per the book),everything bent and bits falling off. The fitter had had a go at welding the tailgate and made a right pigs ear of it, 20mm gap one side and the lugs all twisted. Oh, and diesel all over the top of the engine. Fair play to them, I video called them, told them to take it back and sort it out with the finance to sent me a new one. They did, and said to just use it whilst they were sorting the finance house out. But every time someone from the 'yard team' has given the salesman something to relay to me, it's been a crock of shit from someone who clearly knows fuck all about mechanics and plant.

Very glad I went new, and I'll never depart from that policy again for frontline kit after three brand new diggers. A 250 hour used machine is just enough time for some cunt to wreck it, and the savings don't justify the risks. The new machine is much faster and the hydrostat isn't whining. An oil and filter change may well improve the old machine, but I didn't fancy it for 3.5k saving.
Cautrac....went there sometime in the early 2000’s as they where selling grey import hitachi diggers. The only place that impressed me less was Molsons. Yet Molsons have gone on to be a very large organisation. At least with new you expect some sort of back up as long as you have a decent local dealer. We had Bobcat mini diggers, Manitou telehandler, and HM plant one year old kit. Also had a couple of grey imports that we obtained from someone we knew that dealt in lorries. We was well out of warranty before we needed to find out how good the dealers spares dept of the dealers really where!

L

Lynchy

Change oil n filter,what manufacturers consider 'life' to components ain't what I'd go by,totally spurious probably,but 'no change for life gearbox oil' in van,changed last year,bit of a faff on,got 3/4 ish litre of filthy black stuff out,topped back up 2+ litre of new oil,if you intend keeping machine look after it

D

deuce22

I am going to change the engine oil and filter as well. I decided to not take much notice of them when they said to grease anything that needs it at 50hrs. I said I do it every 8 hrs and they said that was overkill.
I've got to get the 80w90 gear oil from Halfords as it's the only place open that sells it. I can also get the 15w40 engine oil from there, but I'm unsure of where to get the filter. The workshops for Kubota are now closed and they may not re-open until the end of May.
Is there anywhere else you know of (that's open that sells the filter).
Can I just confirm that it's the gear oil and engine oil/filter that needs doing now, is there anything else recommended?
Thanks.

GazCro

GazCro

I am going to change the engine oil and filter as well. I decided to not take much notice of them when they said to grease anything that needs it at 50hrs. I said I do it every 8 hrs and they said that was overkill.
I've got to get the 80w90 gear oil from Halfords as it's the only place open that sells it. I can also get the 15w40 engine oil from there, but I'm unsure of where to get the filter. The workshops for Kubota are now closed and they may not re-open until the end of May.
Is there anywhere else you know of (that's open that sells the filter).
Can I just confirm that it's the gear oil and engine oil/filter that needs doing now, is there anything else recommended?
Thanks.
How many hours are you likely to put on it before may? Wouldn't be that big a deal if you left oil change until 100hrs

D

deuce22

I probably won't hit 100hrs by then. I can order the oil to come next week, but where could I get the filter if it has to be a genuine Kubota.
What is the difference between semi synthetic, fully synthetic and mineral? Which should I be using?

Thanks.

D

deuce22

Thanks Danny.

I just spoke with them and they are still delivering. What oil should I use? They told me any 15w40, but I don't trust them now, are they all the same?

V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
Thanks Danny.

I just spoke with them and they are still delivering. What oil should I use? They told me any 15w40, but I don't trust them now, are they all the same?

Shell Rimula X ... won't better it .... used it for decades in some pretty expensive engines ..... still run it in everything .... I'd get a 20l if I were you and covered for a few changes then

D

deuce22

When should the filter and oil be changed after this 50hr one? It's stating every 500hrs in the manual.

Danny

Danny

500 hour service intervals is pretty standard well it is on our machines...

50 hour service oil filter, air filter, final drives
500 hour - oil filter, air filter
1000 hour oil, air, and final drives
1500 oil filter, air filter
2000 oil, air and final drives