Reached 50hrs

D

deuce22

Hi.

My machine is now at 50hrs and a spanner light came on at 40hrs. It is for a service and I’m wondering what that entails. Is it something I could do myself or does it need to go to a service centre.

I’ve also been greasing with molly along the boom and one side of the cab every 8hrs. There are 2 grease points at the front of the cab with 50hrs and 200hrs on them. Do I still use black molly for the 50hrs one or lithium?

I was told by a farmer that if I have the time and space, to pressure wash the machine every now and again to get all mud and dirt off. Somebody else told me not to do this. Is it ok or not?

Thanks.

T whiting

T whiting

Feel free to pressure wash it but don't blast any electrical connectors and the diesel and hydraulic tank lids, I'd also not get the Lance too near on the top half to save lifting the paint off treat it like a car.

The 50hr service won't be much the last one I did was slew ring grease (lithium moly is only for pins and bushes) and the oil in the track motors. Some machines also ask for the engine oil and filter to be changed

hiluxman

hiluxman

50 hours is just an engine oil and filter change. Nice and easy.

By all means pressure wash it but dont go forcing it into all the nooks and cranies. Just do it from a distance away

Quattromike

Quattromike

Well member-known
Does the manual not give you the service requirements

L

Lynchy

50 hours is running in service,used to work for Ford dealer n servicing new tw20 farmer kept filters to put on his two older yokes!
Penny wise........

B

Brendan

Does your warranty allow DIY servicing? Or allow DIY servicing as long as you buy the filters from them?

doobin

doobin

First service is important, don't neglect it. It will be engine oil and filter, possibly hydraulic filter too depending upon machine.

Take photos for proof and use genuine filters, keep the receipts.

The front grease nipples- one will probably be the far end of the ram offset (50 hours)- use moly as its a pin and bush. The other one will be slew bearing and ring drive- use lithium here. Check this in your manual first. If you grease the far end of the offset ram elsewhere then they're probably both slew, so lithium.

Last edited:
V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
Hi.

My machine is now at 50hrs and a spanner light came on at 40hrs. It is for a service and I’m wondering what that entails. Is it something I could do myself or does it need to go to a service centre.

I’ve also been greasing with molly along the boom and one side of the cab every 8hrs. There are 2 grease points at the front of the cab with 50hrs and 200hrs on them. Do I still use black molly for the 50hrs one or lithium?

I was told by a farmer that if I have the time and space, to pressure wash the machine every now and again to get all mud and dirt off. Somebody else told me not to do this. Is it ok or not?

Thanks.
how's it behaving/performing? all you expected ??

D

deuce22

It is excellent. There's a lot of times when I'm using it for just an hour or so, but that short amount is saving me about 3 days of hard physical labour. The thumb also speeds things up as it grabs things pretty easily. I cleared the whole plot yesterday of trees and roots, but couldn't have done it without the thumb.

F

fred

nice you got a kubota as well, which one ?

Yes its just the drive oil on the two sprockets.

doobin

doobin

No way can you leave that engine oil until 500 hours for a first service!!

I have four machines with Kubota engines. All have oil change intervals of 100-250 hours (machine manufacturers specifications) and a first oil change of 50 hours. Best though to go with the engine manufacturers specifications.

Two of my Kubota engines are D902's , same as your engine. The engine manual itself specifies 50 hours first service, 100 hour oil changes and 200 hour filter changes (but I just do filter changes every oil change, they're peanuts)

Someone at Kubota has made a major fuckup by the looks of it. They make the engine too- should be no excuse!

Fred, I'd do yours now if you haven't got to 500 hours yet!

Attachments

V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
No way can you leave that engine oil until 500 hours for a first service!!

I have four machines with Kubota engines. All have oil change intervals of 100-250 hours (machine manufacturers specifications) and a first oil change of 50 hours. Best though to go with the engine manufacturers specifications.

Two of my Kubota engines are D902's , same as your engine. The engine manual itself specifies 50 hours first service, 100 hour oil changes and 200 hour filter changes (but I just do filter changes every oil change, they're peanuts)

Someone at Kubota has made a major fuckup by the looks of it. They make the engine too- should be no excuse!

Fred, I'd do yours now if you haven't got to 500 hours yet!
no arguing with that Doob ...... if it were mine I'd be giving it it's initial service at 50 no question ... and by the book there after ... oil and filters are peanuts compared to a buggered engine and use the best lube you can get ... my cranes got a belly full of Rimula X and Coopers filters every month unless they weren't out a lot .... Cummins V504/V555s/240s & 290s were big bucks to replace

F

fred

i did oil and all filters including hydraulic at 100 hours. as i do maybe 150 a year it just gets done annually the lot.

D

deuce22

Should I do more than what it states, what do you suggest I do in total?
Thanks.

GazCro

GazCro

Can't speak for kubota but I've always thought the 50 to 100 hr first service is an opportunity to see if anything is wrong in manufacture hence engine oil and filter usually included. Having said that my takeuchi 290 according to handbook didn't need first oil change until 250hrs ( which is also regular interval) questioned it with dealer and they said becoming more common not to worry about it.