Price hike

Routy56

Routy56

Well-known member
Yes you are correct, as it does for mine and many others. I’m guessing it was when he was 70, doesn’t feel like that long ago😳, but he had to renew his license. It was stated in the renewal docs that he would loose the entitlement to tow, or indeed drive anything up to 7.5t and above 3.5t, if he didn’t get a medical etc. If he failed to get it sorted at renewal then iirc he’d have to go through the test. So it meant basically going through the same rigmarole and cost that was required to retain his HGV. So just made sense to keep the HGV going.

I wonder how many folk have renewed their license at 70 and not realised they have lost the entitlement to tow? Bet there’s a few....
Yes you are both correct that Cat C1 has to be renewed at 70+ with a medical 😳
Many people (including my uncle) don’t realise this when they drive a larger motorhome in later life 🤓
In his instance we got the dealer to have it down rated 😉
 
V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
Yes you are both correct that Cat C1 has to be renewed at 70+ with a medical 😳
Many people (including my uncle) don’t realise this when they drive a larger motorhome in later life 🤓
In his instance we got the dealer to have it down rated 😉
might see if I can't renew my Goods then .. might save a lorra crap in a few years time??
 
diggerjones

diggerjones

Well-known member
I'm nearly 52. Think at 45 i needed a medical and digital tacho card thing, so i never bothered. Probably not drove a truck for 20 years now😁
In my early 20s i was driving one like this.
 

Attachments

  • img036.jpg
    img036.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 213
pettsy

pettsy

Well-known member
Would love to get my class2 and 1. Got as far as medical and provisional on my license, trouble is I’m not very good in test situations.
 
hiluxman

hiluxman

Well-known member
There's also a bit of panic buying going on. Few local merchants only letting you have 10 bags of cement but some builders are getting 10 bags every time they order something incase they can't get it later. I bet its surprising what's stacked up on jobs
I went for some today from a merchants I use, got everything else I wanted without issue and at very good prices as they usually are but needed 4 bag of cement. Got told no we don't have any.
That's fine there's plenty I can get from another source I thought. So I go to get what I'd ordered.....walks in there shed and lo and behold there is, I kid you not, 24 pallets of cement.😱.
 
Routy56

Routy56

Well-known member
I'm nearly 52. Think at 45 i needed a medical and digital tacho card thing, so i never bothered. Probably not drove a truck for 20 years now😁
In my early 20s i was driving one like this.
Drove one of those 1000s of miles and then the updated DAF 95
Would love to get my class2 and 1. Got as far as medical and provisional on my license, trouble is I’m not very good in test situations.
Best thing you can do is go on a short training course with yer test on the Friday.
Our Rod did this and never looked back :cool:
 
Last edited:
V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
I went for some today from a merchants I use, got everything else I wanted without issue and at very good prices as they usually are but needed 4 bag of cement. Got told no we don't have any.
That's fine there's plenty I can get from another source I thought. So I go to get what I'd ordered.....walks in there shed and lo and behold there is, I kid you not, 24 pallets of cement.😱.
I assume some serious words were had ?
 
Giles

Giles

Well-known member
I was quoted .66p a block for 100mm 7n Block around feb when I priced job just come to order and they’re now .78p a block. £1200 increase on the block order
 
V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
I was quoted .66p a block for 100mm 7n Block around feb when I priced job just come to order and they’re now .78p a block. £1200 increase on the block order
saw someone on FB last night asking 82+p a block :oops:..... and had a yard full of 'em on pallets, presumably waiting to make a killing

" 4" concrete blocks. 72 blocks per pallet 1.3 tonne per pallet. Colletion Barry dock. We do not deliver. Fork truck here for loading. Anything less than a full pallet is 90p per block."
1623267697891.png
 
D

DaveDCB

Well-known member
I was quoted .66p a block for 100mm 7n Block around feb when I priced job just come to order and they’re now .78p a block. £1200 increase on the block order
Wouldn’t complain too much (other than the fact your quoted more!) I paid 76p each for 7n back in june, that’s full rigid lorry load.
Who do you get yours from at that? I tried afew places and they were all dearer back then!
 
Left hooker

Left hooker

Well-known member
Not bought any 4 inch for couple years but get them direct from manufacturer and get them with own lorry at 55p each
 
V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
Not bought any 4 inch for couple years but get them direct from manufacturer and get them with own lorry at 55p each
when i was doing me wall in '12/13, 9" hollows were 98p each, by the lorry load ... bought 1200 in total ..... just shows HOW MUCH stuff has gone up let alone stupidly leapt up, this year :oops::(
 
V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
I was quoted .66p a block for 100mm 7n Block around feb when I priced job just come to order and they’re now .78p a block. £1200 increase on the block order
WTF are you building with 10,000 blocks @Giles ????:oops:
 
Giles

Giles

Well-known member
Wouldn’t complain too much (other than the fact your quoted more!) I paid 76p each for 7n back in june, that’s full rigid lorry load.
Who do you get yours from at that? I tried afew places and they were all dearer back then!
Was quoted 66 and 68p direct loads but Buxton so only going a mile from where they’re made

markovitz tideswell and Redmoor senior in new mills
 
Giles

Giles

Well-known member
Was going to ask the same! Nice job to get that! 👍🏼
Didn’t realise they were made in Buxton too, ours all come from Congleton.
Made in the quarry here so cement and crushed stone on site makes sense was 16k blocks but we’ve dropped the cavity walls between the units and gone for single wall
 
Grahams

Grahams

Don't complain - suggest what's better
Went to pick up 20m of 2x2 for a job starting Monday and our local supplier had none in stock or any other convenient sizes we could rip down. Never known anything like it.
Luckily went on to another place and they had some in stock, although only tanalised. Luckily that doesn't matter to us.
 
Top