doobin
Well-known member
TJ transport.Out of interest who do you use Doobin? I'm paying a little more than that - not much mind but always keen to reduce costs when other elements are going through the roof!
TJ transport.Out of interest who do you use Doobin? I'm paying a little more than that - not much mind but always keen to reduce costs when other elements are going through the roof!
'bout ****ing time it was ..... rigidlyThat’s always been illegal, just not policed.
dont think its lorrys the trouble from what I hear its lack of HGV drivers when Blair flooded Britain with thousands of cheap lorry drivers many uk drivers said f k it they would not work for peanuts and found other jobs or reteird and young people did not want to learn in a job where you where just abused by employers so haulage firms bought this on themselves![]()
Timber shortages getting worse
The timber industry has issued a warning that UK shortages are set to get worse later this summer.www.theconstructionindex.co.uk
" the market is such that any wood coming into the UK from Sweden has already been sold to customers. Despite strict allocations, most buyers are already unable to purchase all the timber they want for their business,"
“The already tight balance between supply and demand is already being made worse because there are insufficient heavy goods vehicles available to get the wood out of UK ports and into UK customers yards."
Think you are right Bob, we need to encourage new LGV drivers into the professiondont think its lorrys the trouble from what I hear its lack of HGV drivers when Blair flooded Britain with thousands of cheap lorry drivers many uk drivers said f k it they would not work for peanuts and found other jobs or reteird and young people did not want to learn in a job where you where just abused by employers so haulage firms bought this on themselves
Here’s what I don’t get, if all these firms are on 60% allowance, and Max 10 bags from merchants where the heck is it actually all going? Who’s laying all of this mystical 40% of concrete everyone is holding back?I just paid £12 a ton for type 1 but 1200 tons and less than 2 miles from quarry and artic loads
155m3 in last month £89/m3 C40 pump mix 300 yards from concrete plant
but concrete firm saying they are on 60% cement allowance and they are using 150 tons a day normally so price will be going up
I'm led to believe the cement problem is caused by a few things. Boom in demand, at least one plant in this country shut down for maintenance and knock on effect of covid shutdowns. You don't realise how finely balanced the supply chain is from manufacturer to seller with v little product stored for any length of time. A rep for a local merchants told me that even after lockdowns etc end (you could say from now if you like) it could take 2 years at least for everything to get up and running and settled down again.Here’s what I don’t get, if all these firms are on 60% allowance, and Max 10 bags from merchants where the heck is it actually all going? Who’s laying all of this mystical 40% of concrete everyone is holding back?
Something doesn’t add up in my eyes, just feels like a forced price hike from the big boys again!
totally agreedont think its lorrys the trouble from what I hear its lack of HGV drivers when Blair flooded Britain with thousands of cheap lorry drivers many uk drivers said f k it they would not work for peanuts and found other jobs or reteird and young people did not want to learn in a job where you where just abused by employers so haulage firms bought this on themselves
Any particular reason for not renewing Routy? Had enough of driving?Think you are right Bob, we need to encourage new LGV drivers into the profession
I have just turned 65 and have NOT renewed my LGV licence.
Have just competed 11 years driving grain lorries by providing a driver service to local hauliers.
View attachment 25076
Averaged out as 2 or 3 days a week to keep my hand in. Gonna miss going to farms and taking the good stuff to flour mills or Maltings
On a positive note only 2 years ago I am proud to have helped and sponsored a new driver into the job......
View attachment 25077
Rod is my son-in-law. He was a dry liner and found that fast approaching 40 the trade was 'beating up his body'
So he trained for his Class 2. Went to work for a local company and they gave him a new grab lorry to play with
We use them all the time in this area for grab work.
A few weeks ago he was promoted to Transport Manager. His alert and young approach means that the company is more productive.
He is now actively interviewing and recruiting younger drivers, especially this from the building trades![]()
must say i regret not keeping mine up .... be handy now and again ....... but at the time I didn't think I was going to be around to need itAny particular reason for not renewing Routy? Had enough of driving?
Hs2 seems to be the culprit everyone points at but just general demand every decent builders busy, every fucktard one is claiming furlough etc so demand is high.Here’s what I don’t get, if all these firms are on 60% allowance, and Max 10 bags from merchants where the heck is it actually all going? Who’s laying all of this mystical 40% of concrete everyone is holding back?
Something doesn’t add up in my eyes, just feels like a forced price hike from the big boys again!
No on the contrary, I actually love driving anythingAny particular reason for not renewing Routy? Had enough of driving?
that was my 'issue' at the time .... smack in the middle of being ill and diagnosed .... and wouldn't have passed the medical at the time .... I'd lost 3.5 stone and looked liked a refugee from Dachau ....... and my HGV I'd had since I was 18 was the last thing on my mindNo on the contrary, I actually love driving anything
Advanced Driver both with IAM and my former occupation
Only licence that I didn't hold was for buses - but then you have to be nice to people
BUT you probably know that once you reach 45 then LGV licence are every 5 years with a medical.
Not a problem because I still enjoy excellent health.
THEN when you reach 65 yer LGV licence renewal is every year with a medical.
Kinda send you a message don't it.
Had my full Class 1 HGV or C+E LGV licence with all the Driver CPC etc since the year dot.
Even got to moonlight officially in my previous occupation
So been there and got the T shirtView attachment 25080
So here's some more trucking porn for y'all - had this one for a week last summer while full timer was on holiday.
As you can see from the blue signs - I love a challenge![]()
My dad had a similar dilemma, decided to give up his HGV license that he’d had for decades. And he’d actually surrendered it, but when he realised that they were also going to take away his privilege to tow a trailer behind a 3.5t vehicle, unless he took a test, then he quickly got back his HGV!
Yes you are correct, as it does for mine and many others. I’m guessing it was when he was 70, doesn’t feel like that long agohis pre '97 test should've automatically entitled that privilege
![]()