doobin
Well-known member
I'm making the move to LTD as it's getting to the point where I have other assets outside of the business that might be worth someone going after. I'm not worried about going bust because I owe people money, more being sued because I make a mistake that isn't covered under the insurance. I have a friend going through this- he had a subby slip over and break his ankle on a job years back. Just before the statue of limitations, he gets a letter from a no win no fee solicitor. Insurance don't want to know as he never informed them way back when. Tells me his solicitor reckons it'll cost him £70k.I should probably mention I did a 4 yr honours degree in business studies
I more the understand comercial risk but manage it. I'm fully insured against getting sued by customers or clients.
I'm always making sure that we don't go into too deep with 1 customer or 1 job thus spreading the risk. I would say we would have a 1 company every 2 years go bust and due me money.
In a quite old fashioned way I would hate to liquidate a company and be due money or wages though it dosent seem to bother some folk round here.
I think there might also come a point (although I'm not there yet!) when you don't want to buy any kit for a bit- maybe saving for a big purchase. Being able to leave the money in the company as retained profits, subject to just corporation tax, might be helpful.
I'm like you in that I've not paid much tax ever, such a big capital pool to claim against.