Pipe Lasers

M

Matt

Looking at the possibility of getting a pipe laser as the job we are starting in January has a lot of drainage with shallow falls so can’t afford not to be accurate.

Have plenty of experience with drainage but normally use a standard above ground laser level. Looking to be more accurate and efficient with a pipe laser.

Done a bit of research and like the look of the Spectra Precision DG613 or DG813. The Leica Piper 100 looks good as it fits in 100mm pipe but don’t want the faff of changing the little legs all the time.

Just wondered if anyone had any experience setting them up/ using and how difficult they are to use well? Any advice on make/model appreciated too.

Thanks
Matt

B

Brendan

Looking at the possibility of getting a pipe laser as the job we are starting in January has a lot of drainage with shallow falls so can’t afford not to be accurate.

Have plenty of experience with drainage but normally use a standard above ground laser level. Looking to be more accurate and efficient with a pipe laser.

Done a bit of research and like the look of the Spectra Precision DG613 or DG813. The Leica Piper 100 looks good as it fits in 100mm pipe but don’t want the faff of changing the little legs all the time.

Just wondered if anyone had any experience setting them up/ using and how difficult they are to use well? Any advice on make/model appreciated too.

Thanks
Matt
Not used one for a good 9 year plus, they are handy. It was the Leica version easy enough to use, came with a little gradient book to quickly set it up without have to work out the input settings. The legs have two jobs centering the laser in the pipe and also raising the unit so the beam is centre of the pipe

T whiting

T whiting

There a all right tool and very good at keeping your pipes straight and very simple to use but you can achieve the same results with a rotary laser.

There not much use on runs less than about 20m as you spend so long faffing setting them up it could've been finished with a rotary laser

G

Grifferr

Not much good when using 6m lengths of pipe as you can only check at each end. How do you check halfway along the length. Some 4 inch pipes have a 4 inch bow in them!

T whiting

T whiting

Not much good when using 6m lengths of pipe as you can only check at each end. How do you check halfway along the length. Some 4 inch pipes have a 4 inch bow in them!
We put them on top of the pipe or a couple of rings up a PPIC then lay a bed of gravel to lay the pipe on and you can check the top of the pipe with a stick you can't lay the gravel with a shovel as easily though

Left hooker

Left hooker

Cut them in half and fit a joiner
South west water won't allow pipes over 3m to be used on main sewer jobs for this exact reason

S

Smiffy

South west water won't allow pipes over 3m to be used on main sewer jobs for this exact reason

But surely checking with a rotary laser by passes that problem
I check all pipes every meter regardless of laying to turn of the bubble or something more exact

And some one above mentioned leveling the shingle bed with a shovel
I have an earth rake cut to six inches wide it is far quicker and easier to level the bed out and no need to get in a trench with i struggle with in deep 200mm trenches anyway

M

Matt

Thanks for all the replies. They do sound like a bit of a faff to set up. Perhaps just setting up the rotary laser on a single axis slope might be a better option. Most of the runs are 20-30m.

All the main runs of foul have to be in 150mm clay so won’t have issues with the 6m pipes until we get to the laterals, but that was a good point as they are often like bananas.

All the main runs of storm water are 225mm upwards so hoping they will be fairly straight.

I like the idea of the narrow rake. Might have to do that!

Cheers

Left hooker

Left hooker

But surely checking with a rotary laser by passes that problem
I check all pipes every meter regardless of laying to turn of the bubble or something more exact

And some one above mentioned leveling the shingle bed with a shovel
I have an earth rake cut to six inches wide it is far quicker and easier to level the bed out and no need to get in a trench with i struggle with in deep 200mm trenches anyway
One thing with the water boards of your respective areas on mains work like of south west water in my area your not allowed bugger all deviation gps will mark center of manhole runs gradients have to be as to plan so a pipe laser will give you a truer pipe lay than rotary laser for side to side and up and down so 3m lengths keep it more tight where's 6m lengths are like bananas to lay
Also pipe laser you can mark the back of a shovel to use as a guide for gravel bed prep leaving it slightly lower to allow for joint

Stuff from road to house and around property rotary is fine as no one's checking deviation

Vinpetrol

Vinpetrol

I’ve used a Leica pipe laser for years I’ve had it at least 15 years and it still works perfectly . I wouldn’t be without it now . It’s great when you don’t have much fall or when the ground is running in the opposite direction of your pipe fall but I use it whenever I can . When you get in the habit of using it it actually takes no time to set it up. I usually sit it on a concrete block and I level the dig and then the pea gravel . If you get that right you hardly need to check the pipes .
Far more important bit of kit than any tilt rotator for a Groundworks outfit ! But that’s just my opinion .
vin

JD450A

JD450A

Feral as Fk 🐾
I’ve used a Leica pipe laser for years I’ve had it at least 15 years and it still works perfectly . I wouldn’t be without it now . It’s great when you don’t have much fall or when the ground is running in the opposite direction of your pipe fall but I use it whenever I can . When you get in the habit of using it it actually takes no time to set it up. I usually sit it on a concrete block and I level the dig and then the pea gravel . If you get that right you hardly need to check the pipes .
Far more important bit of kit than any tilt rotator for a Groundworks outfit ! But that’s just my opinion .
vin
I concour.

F

fred

not the same pipe.

severnttrent insist on the black ribbed stuff on their side not the standard 110 smooth. Lot more expensive and doesn't bow half as much.

Left hooker

Left hooker

not the same pipe.

severnttrent insist on the black ribbed stuff on their side not the standard 110 smooth. Lot more expensive and doesn't bow half as much.
6 inch and up in plastic multi rib is used

Lancs Lad

Lancs Lad

CST/Berger 59-LMPL-20 CST/Berger Electronic Pipe Laser Kit

LAST ONE IN STOCK!! SOLD OUT MODEL!!!

ONE LOW PRICE: 2,999$ CAN

We ship anywhere in CANADA or USA FOR FREE!!!!

CST/berger brings an unparalleled expertise to designing, developing and manufacturing leveling and layout instruments. CST/berger tools and accessories are built to survive the toughest jobsites and packed with innovative features – leading the way for the building, construction and survey markets

The CST/Berger Pipe Laser 59-LMPL20 combines productivity and functionality for manhole, sewer, and pipe construction. Dual axis self-leveling gives the LMPL20 the ability to respond quickly to grade adjustments. It has a LED Light on top for plumb reference. Additionally, the CST/Berger Pipe Laser is waterproof and lightweight with an accuracy of +/-10 arc seconds. It comes with a remote control that works from a distance up to 800 feet.

Self-Leveling Grade Setting and Lock

Using its laser point, the LMPL20 Pipe Laser allows construction professionals to measure grade in a range of -15 to +40%. The laser adjusts horizontally at a range of +/-15%.The Auto Grade Zeroing feature returns the pipe laser to zero-grade (no incline or decline) while the Auto Line Centering feature resets the pipe laser’s line range to zero. You can control these functions by inputting your grade into the LMPL20’s keypad and the results appear on the large, LCD display. With its special locking feature, this pipe laser will not lose its settings if moved after setup.

LED Plumb Light

The CST/Berger LMPL20 contains a LED Plumb Light for plumb reference to verify that your vertical line is accurately aligned. And with this pipe laser you can always achieve the precision and detail you need on the first attempt.

Wireless Two-Way RF Remote Control RC20

Construction professionals can control the pipe laser as far away as 800 feet with the Wireless Two-Way RF Remote Control RC20. The remote has its own LCD display and controls every function of the pipe laser. So climbing in and out of the sewer is no longer necessary. The auto shut-off function preserves your battery even if you forget to turn it off manually.

Waterproof and Portable

The CST/Berger 59-LMPL20 is thoroughly sealed to function in damp conditions with an IP rating of 67. It weighs just over 10 pounds, so you can easily transport it wherever you need, including pipes with diameters as small as 8 inches.

Dual axis self-leveling
656 ft. laser range
+/-10 arc second accuracy
-15% to +40% slope
LED plumb light
IP67 dust and waterproof
5/8 x 11 tripod thread
How much for cash?😎