OOPS

Quattromike

Quattromike

Well member-known
Now I'm not saying I'm an expert. But I did spend a weekend trailing around Fraser Island in a clapped out pajero when I was downunder. We had her at some angles getting through the tracks left by those big wheeled landcruisers the tour companies had romping about. I can tell you the sandy stuff was not her friend, some major whining came from her the rest of the time we had her. 🚙

Jimbo69

Jimbo69

Now I'm not saying I'm an expert. But I did spend a weekend trailing around Fraser Island in a clapped out pajero when I was downunder. We had her at some angles getting through the tracks left by those big wheeled landcruisers the tour companies had romping about. I can tell you the sandy stuff was not her friend, some major whining came from her the rest of the time we had her. 🚙

Sounds like my ex wife.

Cyberprog

Cyberprog

This is why I won't venture into sand or shingle in my discoveries. Not worth the risk of getting bogged.

Q

Quarryop

This is why I won't venture into sand or shingle in my discoveries. Not worth the risk of getting bogged.
Was out on a narrow dry silt bank between 2 silt ponds at start of the week on a 50 tonner, last digger was up there was a 13 tonner. Wasn't long there as only a few buckets needed lifted out to help the flow but I wasn't well until I got out of there as there was nowhere to recover the digger from if it went down:oops:

Grahams

Grahams

Don't complain - suggest what's better
I do a lot of driving on sand dunes and my main take away from that is as soon as you start to get bogged stop. It will only get worse. Much easier to get something out that is a little bit stuck than something that has dug itself in until it can't dig any more.

A

AusDave

Get one or two heavy hardwood timbers, like railway sleeper size and chain to tracks, obviously before you've buried them. Drive forward pulling the timber under the tracks and lifting the machine and moving it forward free of the sand/swamp/mud. Additional timbers as bog mats can be laid for the machine to continue to drive forward on.

This assumes the machine is in working order and can drive the tracks. Any steel tracked machine, excavator, dozer etc can be unbogged this way with the right gear. It should be even easier with an excavator where you can pull and push with the bucket.

But as has been mentioned as soon as the machine starts to get bogged is the time to take action. And don't get me started on the idiots that seem to believe the way out of any bog situation is to give the machine/vehicle full revs and spin the wheels/tracks, immediately digging the machine deeper :mad:
Every movement of the tracks, revolution of the wheel should be freeing the machine. If it isn't then stop, you're doing it wrong, and you'll make things worse.

Q

Quarryop

1610224326818.png

1610224363526.png

1610224386245.png

1610224406695.png

hiluxman

hiluxman

Seem to see it more often and can't work out why but a lot now don't clamp buckets in 4 in 1. Well here's why you should clamp them.
Looking at the picture it was....you can see the 4in1 open and the 2ft still in it.

I personally don't grab them. I lay them on there side in front bucket.

Q

Quarryop

I did see a photo with only top of jib showing but dont know if that was highest point of tide
1610278700871.png

1610278828090.png

1610278989665.png

Cant find the night photo of highest point with just tip of jib showing. Apparently the digger got stuck trying to rescue a dumper that went down in soft sand.

Last edited:
Q

Quarryop

Get one or two heavy hardwood timbers, like railway sleeper size and chain to tracks, obviously before you've buried them. Drive forward pulling the timber under the tracks and lifting the machine and moving it forward free of the sand/swamp/mud. Additional timbers as bog mats can be laid for the machine to continue to drive forward on.

This assumes the machine is in working order and can drive the tracks. Any steel tracked machine, excavator, dozer etc can be unbogged this way with the right gear. It should be even easier with an excavator where you can pull and push with the bucket.

But as has been mentioned as soon as the machine starts to get bogged is the time to take action. And don't get me started on the idiots that seem to believe the way out of any bog situation is to give the machine/vehicle full revs and spin the wheels/tracks, immediately digging the machine deeper :mad:
Every movement of the tracks, revolution of the wheel should be freeing the machine. If it isn't then stop, you're doing it wrong, and you'll make things worse.
Whin bushes if its called the same everywhere else are hard to beat for crawling yourself out of trouble. Strong as hell and spread the load
1610291170864.png