A
AndrewMawson
Member
Welcome to the Project 9 Club 
Between roughly mid nineties into the 2000s they changed so much so often back and forth this way and that often for no apparent/clear reason I don't think they could keep up themselves. Machines off the production line weeks apart could have all number of differences. Probably the period in time which lost JCB it's reputation imo.Odd how they kept changing the set up .My 1990 Grey cab had the boom lock lever where yours is, but was cable operated from lever to locking plate, no hydraulics.
that's where mine was but was boxed in with a cubby for tools / pins/ etc. and had a hinged cover over it too between the wing and the handbrakeI know its no help but i found this of my 1988 3cxView attachment 29737
i always thought they went from project7 to project 8 to project 12 then project 21 on the 3cx but it could be completely different. i know an ex jcb fitter i will try finding out some info from him. msgd fitter he says nothing official other than numbers i put. no doubt some people may of thought up model numbers it always seemed illogical to me the numbering.I've never found anything official describing what serials belong to what Projects
This is how SAE horse power has been defined.But green engine tested with no fan, alternator or water pump fitted unlike blue engine which had these fitted.
Heinz 57??....... so I'm not entirely sure what I've got.
......Jaguar ran the XK series, where (the story goes) the number (eg XK150) was the claimed top speed in mph. It never got there, they simply lied. Seems nothing changed!
Quite.Heinz 57??![]()
As i said earlier they seemed to change things so much at that time i don't even think they knew what was what. When you machines of that era new and had warranty claims and fitters turning up with the wrong parts and knew of others with the same experiences nothing surprises you.Quite.
The engine number matches the ID plate, but the trans doesn't.
At this age, you have to expect some things to be NQR, but often it's the things done in the factory that can be the most perplexing.
Got to take them in landscape for some bizarre reasonI collared my oil boiler service chap who was changing a PRV in the house, and got him to clean and top up the elusive reservoir - he's far more flexible than I am !
Turns out there's a bit more headroom above the reservoir than I thought - somewhere between 2 and 3 inches. It was maybe 1/3rd full so low but OK'ish but now topped to the full mark and ready for the next 25 years
View attachment 29755
Why do these images rotate? The imported thumbnail is the right way up !
I put up plenty of portrait shots though Stu .... something t do with the way they're downloaded I think?Got to take them in landscape for some bizarre reason
iPod and a transmitter gizmo .... works great on the WingAs my friend Phil would say 'I advanced another Tech Level' today. At last found a replacement radio that I could fit in place of the faulty Radio / Cassette unit but this time a Radio / CD Player - eBay s/h item arrived this morning and fitted. Had to pull out the original housing, and prune the 'three level' ISO socket on the loom down to 'two level' with a hacksaw but now all fitted and working.
There was even a Motown CD in the CD when it arrived letting me prove that the CD worked. I can't ever imagine wanting to play CD's in the Jake but I do want to be able to listen to the radio !
View attachment 29782