OK who's nicked my Boom Lock Master Cylinder - - - JCB 3CX Project 8 Side Console

Gecko

Gecko

Well-known member
I've never found anything official describing what serials belong to what Projects
 
craig

craig

Well-known member
I can`t remember the reg of one I used to drive, think it was a R `97-`98, and it had slewing rams, and different headlights and work lights than the older one, also SRS.
 
diggerjones

diggerjones

Well-known member
I know its no help but i found this of my 1988 3cx
Screenshot_20211123-222027.jpg
 
A

AndrewMawson

Member
Odd how they kept changing the set up .My 1990 Grey cab had the boom lock lever where yours is, but was cable operated from lever to locking plate, no hydraulics.
 
GazCro

GazCro

Well-known member
Odd how they kept changing the set up .My 1990 Grey cab had the boom lock lever where yours is, but was cable operated from lever to locking plate, no hydraulics.
Between roughly mid nineties into the 2000s they changed so much so often back and forth this way and that often for no apparent/clear reason I don't think they could keep up themselves. Machines off the production line weeks apart could have all number of differences. Probably the period in time which lost JCB it's reputation imo.
 
C

charlie2

Well-known member
I've never found anything official describing what serials belong to what Projects
i always thought they went from project7 to project 8 to project 12 then project 21 on the 3cx but it could be completely different. i know an ex jcb fitter i will try finding out some info from him. msgd fitter he says nothing official other than numbers i put. no doubt some people may of thought up model numbers it always seemed illogical to me the numbering.
 
Last edited:
Gecko

Gecko

Well-known member
glad someone else said that - I was wondering what I was missing.

The service manual I use (for my P8) covers serials 400001-460000
My transmission didn't ship in a P8, but is covered by the next service manual (serials 460001-4699999) which I have taken to be a P12, but the word 'Project' is not mentioned in either manual.

To keep on topic, the boom lock on 460001+ is completely different to mine

1637790315887.png


@Gunners did a nice summery of the P8/P12 differences at the start of the year
 
Last edited:
GazCro

GazCro

Well-known member
Something he missed from his p8 to p12 differences was the engine change. The turbo engine in the p8 was what jcb called the "blue" engine and was rated at 94hp. The p12 contractor (black roof and mudguards) was fitted with the "green" engine and the first 3cx with over 100hp (101hp supposedly). The extra 7hp was non existent though in reality and no explanation from dealer. Being 1999 i guess you could say Internet was in its early days still. I emailed jcb and was actually sent full bench dyno testing results from both engines. Blue engine 94hp when tested green engine 101hp. But green engine tested with no fan, alternator or water pump fitted unlike blue engine which had these fitted. When tested under same conditions both engines were actually 94hp. Some sneaky marketing for you there. I can't recall who or what position the person at jcb held but i guess they pretty quickly learned not to give out such info so easily.
 
Gecko

Gecko

Well-known member
The manual I'm using lists three engines (four if you included the 4ws) with corresponding engine number prefixes to identify what you've got.
1637805244178.png


Naturally the prefix of mine isn't among them, so I'm not entirely sure what I've got.

But green engine tested with no fan, alternator or water pump fitted unlike blue engine which had these fitted.
This is how SAE horse power has been defined.
DIN hp gives you a number closer to what you should expect.

Jaguar ran the XK series, where (the story goes) the number (eg XK150) was the claimed top speed in mph. It never got there, they simply lied. Seems nothing changed!
 
V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
....... so I'm not entirely sure what I've got.
......Jaguar ran the XK series, where (the story goes) the number (eg XK150) was the claimed top speed in mph. It never got there, they simply lied. Seems nothing changed!
Heinz 57?? :rolleyes:
 
A

AndrewMawson

Member
I collared my oil boiler service chap who was changing a PRV in the house, and got him to clean and top up the elusive reservoir - he's far more flexible than I am !
Turns out there's a bit more headroom above the reservoir than I thought - somewhere between 2 and 3 inches. It was maybe 1/3rd full so low but OK'ish but now topped to the full mark and ready for the next 25 years :)

Boom-Lock-Reservoir-Topped-Up.jpg


Why do these images rotate? The imported thumbnail is the right way up !
 
Gecko

Gecko

Well-known member
Heinz 57?? :rolleyes:
Quite.
The engine number matches the ID plate, but the trans doesn't.
At this age, you have to expect some things to be NQR, but often it's the things done in the factory that can be the most perplexing.
 
GazCro

GazCro

Well-known member
Quite.
The engine number matches the ID plate, but the trans doesn't.
At this age, you have to expect some things to be NQR, but often it's the things done in the factory that can be the most perplexing.
As i said earlier they seemed to change things so much at that time i don't even think they knew what was what. When you machines of that era new and had warranty claims and fitters turning up with the wrong parts and knew of others with the same experiences nothing surprises you.
 
Left hooker

Left hooker

Well-known member
I collared my oil boiler service chap who was changing a PRV in the house, and got him to clean and top up the elusive reservoir - he's far more flexible than I am !
Turns out there's a bit more headroom above the reservoir than I thought - somewhere between 2 and 3 inches. It was maybe 1/3rd full so low but OK'ish but now topped to the full mark and ready for the next 25 years :)

View attachment 29755

Why do these images rotate? The imported thumbnail is the right way up !
Got to take them in landscape for some bizarre reason
 
V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
Got to take them in landscape for some bizarre reason
I put up plenty of portrait shots though Stu .... something t do with the way they're downloaded I think?
 
Canal Navvy

Canal Navvy

Well-known member
Wouldn't like to speculate about how JCB worked, I do know how the Matbro used to operate. The design and development crew produced a coherent machine that could be built and subsequently serviced without difficulties. The accounts side would then delay payment to the suppliers to the extent that parts didn't get delivered and the buyers would have to find a part that was close enough from another manufacturer prepared to offer credit 🙄
A near fit on the production line turned into a miss by a mile when out in the field 🤪
 
A

AndrewMawson

Member
As my friend Phil would say 'I advanced another Tech Level' today. At last found a replacement radio that I could fit in place of the faulty Radio / Cassette unit but this time a Radio / CD Player - eBay s/h item arrived this morning and fitted. Had to pull out the original housing, and prune the 'three level' ISO socket on the loom down to 'two level' with a hacksaw but now all fitted and working.

There was even a Motown CD in the CD when it arrived letting me prove that the CD worked. I can't ever imagine wanting to play CD's in the Jake but I do want to be able to listen to the radio !


Clarion-CD-Player-Installed.jpg
 
V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
As my friend Phil would say 'I advanced another Tech Level' today. At last found a replacement radio that I could fit in place of the faulty Radio / Cassette unit but this time a Radio / CD Player - eBay s/h item arrived this morning and fitted. Had to pull out the original housing, and prune the 'three level' ISO socket on the loom down to 'two level' with a hacksaw but now all fitted and working.

There was even a Motown CD in the CD when it arrived letting me prove that the CD worked. I can't ever imagine wanting to play CD's in the Jake but I do want to be able to listen to the radio !


View attachment 29782
iPod and a transmitter gizmo .... works great on the Wing (y):giggle:
 
Top