jcb 801.4

videodrome

videodrome

Hi. I need help with an old jcb 801.4.
As you can see in the attached file, I tried to remove the lower cover, from the ground without lifting on the lift, but I didn't find any attachment to grease. Who helps me?
Thanks
Screenshot_2020-04-27 JCB 801 4 MINI EXCAVATOR Service Repair Manual SN(720001 Onwards).png

Shovelhands

Shovelhands

There is no grease nipple, the grease is to be applied directly to the pinion and slew gear teeth by using a spatula tool or your hand. It’s a messy job which people tend to overlook for this reason.
Put the machine on suitable blocks to make access easier, you will need to get your arm inside the frame and be able to see what you are doing, so you need to get the machine off the ground, potentially higher one end will help.

I’m doing this job myself today, but on a bigger machine.

Good luck and stay safe.

videodrome

videodrome

Thanks Shovelhands. I think I will do the awkward work from below, I cannot guarantee my safety by raising the car roughly. I will use mirrors and a lot of patience. Thanks you were very fast and accurate.
Good job.

Shovelhands

Shovelhands

that's a PITFA to grease James :(:unsure:
Just have to get a bit messy and palm it in there! It’s not something that needs doing every day, and as I said, something which most of the time doesn’t get done at all.

Last edited:
videodrome

videodrome

Thanks you are very kind, precise and fast, I was sure that this forum was perfect for my needs. The images correspond to my situation. The small 801.4 has very small dimensions and little intervention space. But yesterday I managed to insert healthy fat.

honey_badger

honey_badger

Funnily enough I saw some lacking instructions on how to do this in the manual for our jz70 the other day, It may or may not have been done regularly... :whistle:
Maybe I should sit down and get on with it...

Mogman

Mogman

What man as done, man can do, what never has,maybe
Thanks you are very kind, precise and fast, I was sure that this forum was perfect for my needs. The images correspond to my situation. The small 801.4 has very small dimensions and little intervention space. But yesterday I managed to insert healthy fat.
That reminds me must collect my ‘fat gun’ from my brothers 😂😂

videodrome

videodrome

Ciao jcb 801.4 does not have a thermostat to control the temperature of the radiator fluid. What solution do you recommend to check for overheating?
Thanks

S

Smiffy

If you want to monitor it then digital engine temp guage can be bought from eBay that fit any engine

They start at about £5 and go upto £100 with a company level alarm

videodrome

videodrome

Thanks Smiffy I was thinking about something like this, but I'd like to do a simple installation. Where can I install the temperature thermostat? In the radiator drain hole? In an additional sleeve between radiator and pipes? Or is there a simple magnet system to put on the radiator?
grazie

S

Smiffy

I'll try and find the one I've seen fitted before
It simply had a wire with a bolt loop on the end
You removed a bolt from somewhere around the cylinder head (usually for a bracket of some description ) put the bolt loop over it then re threaded the bolt so it gave you actual cylinder head temp

Furniss

Furniss

Ciao jcb 801.4 does not have a thermostat to control the temperature of the radiator fluid. What solution do you recommend to check for overheating?
Thanks
I wouldnt bother - when it gets hot a bleeper sounds :unsure:

videodrome

videodrome

Hi everybody,
I put some fat in my hand and did the job, it was very difficult, but now I have this problem: in rotation, when the turret stops, I hear a noise similar to friction between metal parts, I have also greased the fifth wheel with external greasers. Thanks