jcb 801.4

Shovelhands

Shovelhands

Is there a way to do a check?

There is usually a drain plug and a fill plug on the slew gearbox. Sometimes they also have a dipstick to check the level, but not always. Maybe your handbook will tell you how to check it? It will certainly tell you the grade of oil required.

videodrome

videodrome

There is usually a drain plug and a fill plug on the slew gearbox. Sometimes they also have a dipstick to check the level, but not always. Maybe your handbook will tell you how to check it? It will certainly tell you the grade of oil required.
Thanks as always you are kind and qualified. Instead I am confused and undecided. I don't have a workshop manual and therefore I'm not sure where the slaw motor is. On the floor under the levers?

doobin

doobin

Thanks as always you are kind and qualified. Instead I am confused and undecided. I don't have a workshop manual and therefore I'm not sure where the slaw motor is. On the floor under the levers?
Yup, somewhere near the middle.

Shovelhands

Shovelhands

Remember the pinion that you greased by hand?
looked something like this....
EA7D006E-2297-450A-B4FD-548D9A1C2ABC.jpeg

Well the slew gearbox is on to top of this pinion. There will be 3 or possibly 4 hydraulic hoses attached to it. Will be under the floor somewhere. If you can recall its position underneath then you can get a better idea of its location under the floor. It won’t be the center of the machine, as that is where the rotary coupling will sit, this will also have several hoses going to it, 7 at least, so don’t confuse the two.
take some pictures if you do find it, and maybe we can help you locate the filler and drain plugs?
it will likely need 85/90 gear oil.

Last edited:
videodrome

videodrome

and now?

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2020-06-13 at 11.18.29(1).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2020-06-13 at 11.18.29(1).jpeg
    85.2 KB · Views: 187
  • WhatsApp Image 2020-06-13 at 11.18.29.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2020-06-13 at 11.18.29.jpeg
    81.1 KB · Views: 184
  • WhatsApp Image 2020-06-13 at 11.18.28.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2020-06-13 at 11.18.28.jpeg
    106.2 KB · Views: 164
videodrome

videodrome

I answer myself.

Maybe the gearbox takes the lubricant from the system? So it is without vent and without load?

Shovelhands

Shovelhands

I answer myself.

Maybe the gearbox takes the lubricant from the system? So it is without vent and without load?
Sorry for not replying.

Looks like you have found the slew motor. The gearbox is below it.
I cannot see from the picture where your fill or drain may be?
It is highly unlikely that the gearbox is lubricated via the hydraulics, actually I think the chances are zero.

videodrome

videodrome

Sorry for not replying.

Looks like you have found the slew motor. The gearbox is below it.
I cannot see from the picture where your fill or drain may be?
It is highly unlikely that the gearbox is lubricated via the hydraulics, actually I think the chances are zero.

Thanks for your answer.
I think I checked well and found nothing. On the square top, there are two hexagonal screws on the sides. Only fixing screws on the base.

Shovelhands

Shovelhands

Thanks for your answer.
I think I checked well and found nothing. On the square top, there are two hexagonal screws on the sides. Only fixing screws on the base.
The square part on top is part of the motor, looks like a cross line relief valve. This is not where you should be looking.
Look at the lower section just before the mounting bolts where it bolts to the frame of the machine.

jd6820

jd6820

Think there might be a bit of confusion here? Your machine is it an 801.4 or an 8014 i.e. newer model? The 801.4 built from 1993 to 1998 vs the later 8014 basically 1998 to current more or less... The 801.4 indeed has level bungs. A lot of the newer minis are as you suggest the gearbox is essentially part of the motor much like a hydrostatic drive motor. In fact identical making use of swash plate and case drain oil lubricates the internals of this. Should you end up with a leak on the pinion shaft it would not be long before you ran out of hydraulic fluid. Good news though is no oil to change or check on the gearbox.

videodrome

videodrome

Think there might be a bit of confusion here? Your machine is it an 801.4 or an 8014 i.e. newer model? The 801.4 built from 1993 to 1998 vs the later 8014 basically 1998 to current more or less... The 801.4 indeed has level bungs. A lot of the newer minis are as you suggest the gearbox is essentially part of the motor much like a hydrostatic drive motor. In fact identical making use of swash plate and case drain oil lubricates the internals of this. Should you end up with a leak on the pinion shaft it would not be long before you ran out of hydraulic fluid. Good news though is no oil to change or check on the gearbox.

Hi.
There is talk of an old (but solid and well-functioning) JCB 801.4 from the 90s.

videodrome

videodrome

The plate shows these numbers
47577W

1592216831068.png

videodrome

videodrome

It's OK no problem. I dusted my little jcb in its hidden parts. But the problem remains. What is the cause of the annoying noise at the end of the rotation?