JCB 535 leg ram.

JD450A

JD450A

Feral as Fk 🐾
Finally attempted to get the hedge heap going.....
Leg ram has a check valve which has rusted through (standard JCB) unfortunately the prick is a one piece integral unit with the leg.
Aside from torching the prick has anyone successfully welded one up?
 

Attachments

  • IMG_20200719_155536.jpg
    IMG_20200719_155536.jpg
    227 KB · Views: 243
Last edited:
Gunners

Gunners

Well-known member
I've never seen one of these rust through! Do you run it on sea water? Or when you last used it, I remember you were very angry with it - did you park it in the sea?!!
 
JD450A

JD450A

Feral as Fk 🐾
I've never seen one of these rust through! Do you run it on sea water? Or when you last used it, I remember you were very angry with it - did you park it in the sea?!!

Never been in salt. Rest of the machine is surprisingly good bar the black bits :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: 😂

This is the 4th machine I have seen like it.... unfortunately it's my problem to fix this time.

Matches would help it... or swapping it for a duck... but alas i'm not allowed to do either
 
Gunners

Gunners

Well-known member
What about cutting it out of the lines, rethreading the pipes and just connecting the hose direct. I know LOLER wouldn't like it but you don't do that kind of work do you?
 
JD450A

JD450A

Feral as Fk 🐾
What about cutting it out of the lines, rethreading the pipes and just connecting the hose direct. I know LOLER wouldn't like it but you don't do that kind of work do you?

Major twat to do... borderline as bad cost wise as a S/H Ram, or trying to replace the block....
 
craig

craig

Well-known member
what's the OD of the pipe?
If its a standard size, use a compression fitting on the old pipes on the cylinder, and a stud coupling converting to BSP, https://www.flowfitonline.com/hydra...-stud-coupling-bspp-60-cone-14-bspp-x-10mm-hd, then use a standard check valve https://www.flowfitonline.com/hydra...-double-pilot-operated-check-valve-vbpde-14-l, and extend the flexi hoses, or replace and do away with the short tails of steel pipe on the supply side.
Flexi hose straight into the check valve will be fine with LOLER.
 
craig

craig

Well-known member
Issue is it's leaking out the check valve.... see the stick 😂
Yeah, didn't explain my self very well, but cut the old valve out, compression fittings on the steel pipes on the cylinder, with stud fittings converting to bsp, and a new check valve fitted in, using swivel fittings, and extend or replace the flexi pipes direct to the check valve.
 
JD450A

JD450A

Feral as Fk 🐾
Yeah, didn't explain my self very well, but cut the old valve out, compression fittings on the steel pipes on the cylinder, with stud fittings converting to bsp, and a new check valve fitted in, using swivel fittings, and extend or replace the flexi pipes direct to the check valve.

That'll look worse than if I bodge it with Araldite 😂 Not a bad fix but tbh if i'm going to go and buy a new unit I'll probably go and get a hydralic firm to cut it and shut it.
 
craig

craig

Well-known member
That'll look worse than if I bodge it with Araldite 😂 Not a bad fix but tbh if i'm going to go and buy a new unit I'll probably go and get a hydralic firm to cut it and shut it.
One I done on my crane leg, granted the pipes weren't welded though. Same problem, check valve corroeded.
IMG_20200423_200836_1.jpg
 
GazCro

GazCro

Well-known member
I've never seen one of these rust through! Do you run it on sea water? Or when you last used it, I remember you were very angry with it - did you park it in the sea?!!
Mines an 07 and there v badly rusted and probs not far off leaking.
 
GazCro

GazCro

Well-known member
To be fair it's a JCB.... Why should we expect anything less 😂
Thing is there older telehandlers are a decent machine but as is the norm it's stupid stuff which let's them down. Its not as if the check valves on the legs are exposed they have a cover over them ffs. Don't get me started on the rivnuts on the cover.......
 
GazCro

GazCro

Well-known member
Re welding it up i think the guts come out easy enough but depends how badly rusted it is you'd probs get away for a while if its a pinhole, but if its gone kinda porous it'll be a right nightmare. You can cut pipes and nut and olive fittings on (I've had to do this to repair a burst hose) but it's piping it up without it ending up like a birds nest. Might be easier to relocate check valve under chassis at front.
 
JD450A

JD450A

Feral as Fk 🐾
Re welding it up i think the guts come out easy enough but depends how badly rusted it is you'd probs get away for a while if its a pinhole, but if its gone kinda porous it'll be a right nightmare. You can cut pipes and nut and olive fittings on (I've had to do this to repair a burst hose) but it's piping it up without it ending up like a birds nest. Might be easier to relocate check valve under chassis at front.

Be easier still to chop the fucker in. but apparently i'm not allowed to 😂
 
S

Smiffy

Well-known member
I went to move a not very old mewp the other day and the check valves on all 4 legs where so rusty there was pitting on them so it isn't just jcb
 
V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
Finally attempted to get the hedge heap going.....
Leg ram has a check valve which has rusted through (standard JCB) unfortunately the prick is a one piece integral unit with the leg.
Aside from torching the prick has anyone successfully welded one up?
lop the pipes off at suitably convenient points and just weld or braze some M/M adapters to them, then rubber 'em up to a new check valve
 
GazCro

GazCro

Well-known member
lop the pipes off at suitably convenient points and just weld or braze some M/M adapters to them, then rubber 'em up to a new check valve
Thinking about this mind check valve will be steel piped for a reason won't it.
 
V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
Thinking about this mind check valve will be steel piped for a reason won't it.
only on the ram port to valve ... rest can be rubber ... only needed on the extend side of the ram to safeguard against rubber hose failure .... I'd fit the valve onto existing steel pipe with a few unions / fittings, as needed, then rubber the rest
 
GazCro

GazCro

Well-known member
only on the ram port to valve ... rest can be rubber ... only needed on the extend side of the ram to safeguard against rubber hose failure .... I'd fit the valve onto existing steel pipe with a few unions / fittings, as needed, then rubber the rest
Yeah i thought I'd best bring it up in case somebody sees this thread and gets the wrong idea. Not meaning rory btw.
 
Top