Idlers crunchy

Furniss

Furniss

Noticed last few times I have been on 8t that its getting a bit crunchy sounding from the idler end - what sort of a job is replacing he bearings in the idler ?

Regy53

Regy53

I like cake
should be easy enough if it press's in... track off idler should pull out and press the pin out. away you go

Furniss

Furniss

I have emailed
Evans and Ried
any other suggestions ?
Cheers

Furniss

Furniss

Evans and Ried supply only complete idler and side arms.

Furniss

Furniss

Yeah maybe... I have never had to do any before - been quoted 370+vat plus 80 carridge
so if I can change the bearings might be worth the hassle
5400 hours on Kubota 8t- 7250 hours on last JCB 8t and never had any similar probs, is it bit premature ?

Shovelhands

Shovelhands

Yeah maybe... I have never had to do any before - been quoted 370+vat plus 80 carridge
so if I can change the bearings might be worth the hassle
5400 hours on Kubota 8t- 7250 hours on last JCB 8t and never had any similar probs, is it bit premature ?
Hard to say, lots of machines will never have the idlers replaced at all, other like yours will fail. They probably had some oil in them at one time, seals went along with the oil and that’s the end of the bearings probably! Just one of those things I think. Has it done both sides at the same time?

Furniss

Furniss

Hard to say, lots of machines will never have the idlers replaced at all, other like yours will fail. They probably had some oil in them at one time, seals went along with the oil and that’s the end of the bearings probably! Just one of those things I think. Has it done both sides at the same time?
Dont know James.... on it next week and will check - might be a change lot job like Rory says.
I've asked dobson's if you can buy bearing separately...that will decide it.

T

Thediggerman

If you can get the numbers of the bearing then BRT BEARINGS should be able to match it for you.

Furniss

Furniss

You would of thought it would be worth a go - if they both want doing it will be £850 +vat inc carrage bearings should be a fraction - funny how I have never seen the bearings advertised seperate though :unsure:

Shovelhands

Shovelhands

You would of thought it would be worth a go - if they both want doing it will be £850 +vat inc carrage bearings should be a fraction - funny how I have never seen the bearings advertised seperate though :unsure:
It’s probably because it’s a s**t of a job and you’ll probably need a big press to do it?

V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
unless the bearings are ground to fit non std sizes, you should be able to get the bearings simply by measuring the old races ... a lot of mower manufacturers grind the bores in their bearings so you have to buy from them at four times the price :mad: :mad:

wee_gus

wee_gus

For the time involved with stripping down the idlers 99.9% of customers replace the whole idler assembly. I have done the bearing in the past but it wasn’t worth in my eyes

Furniss

Furniss

For the time involved with stripping down the idlers 99.9% of customers replace the whole idler assembly. I have done the bearing in the past but it wasn’t worth in my eyes
Cheers - will change the lot when it's back at yard ..... probably be Christmas 👍