How about this little setup?

Jimbo69

Jimbo69

I find using an adjustable ladder type hitch plate gives you the option to have a higher hitch hight on the vans, you can’t open the back doors with the hitch on, but at least the height is correct for towing. Just take the tow ball/jaw off and stow it in the back when not in use.
It wouldn’t be so bad if I didn’t have a crew van, I could get in the side door to access the back. Would be a PITA having to unhitch the trailer every time I wanted in the back. Maybe I just need a new towing vehicle 😂

M

Monkeybusiness

No single, that’s what put me off it 😂
I’m going to make a confession now - I own a caravan...
My cousin lives in the French Alps and had a big family wedding a couple of summers ago. We decided to have a road trip and make a 2 week family holiday out of it, then thought about trying it out as a caravan holiday (partially from a cost-saving exercise tbh, buy a second hand ‘aluminium mansion‘ and flog it on our return).
There was no way I would consider dragging a big wind-sail attached to the back of a vehicle carrying the most important things in my world across 2 countries if it only had one poxy wheel and tyre on each side purely from a safety point-of-view (I’ve suffered enough trailer tyre blow outs in my time),so I ended up buying the biggest twin axle caravan I could find within budget.
My day to day truck is a white Navara - I couldn’t have looked more like a door-knocking, driveway tarmacing, ask-driver-for-details lay-by dweller towing it home when I bought it.

B4030C25-34DD-406A-B0C4-684576A283EB.jpeg

We took the Defender to France which looked a lot less offensive as we put bikes on the roof, dog in the back etc - turns out that was a good move as a lot of caravan sites in France get a bit funny letting twin-axle caravans on (you can’t pre-book pitches for twin axles, I guess to try and keep the travellers out).
Long story short the kids loved it, we had a great holiday, and the caravan is still with us!!!
DEF3A065-625C-484E-80E2-663A8491C922.jpeg

R

Russell

Won't bother ur tow bus tho 💪
I was looking for one last year as I've always wanted one. Every 90 series worth having was £ 7,000-£10,000.
They didn't seem to be selling but there was nothing else and are a bit of a rare old beast now.

Shovelhands

Shovelhands

My cousin lives in the French Alps and had a big family wedding a couple of summers ago. We decided to have a road trip and make a 2 week family holiday out of it, then thought about trying it out as a caravan holiday (partially from a cost-saving exercise tbh, buy a second hand ‘aluminium mansion‘ and flog it on our return).
There was no way I would consider dragging a big wind-sail attached to the back of a vehicle carrying the most important things in my world across 2 countries if it only had one poxy wheel and tyre on each side purely from a safety point-of-view (I’ve suffered enough trailer tyre blow outs in my time),so I ended up buying the biggest twin axle caravan I could find within budget.
My day to day truck is a white Navara - I couldn’t have looked more like a door-knocking, driveway tarmacing, ask-driver-for-details lay-by dweller towing it home when I bought it.

View attachment 15284
We took the Defender to France which looked a lot less offensive as we put bikes on the roof, dog in the back etc - turns out that was a good move as a lot of caravan sites in France get a bit funny letting twin-axle caravans on (you can’t pre-book pitches for twin axles, I guess to try and keep the travellers out).
Long story short the kids loved it, we had a great holiday, and the caravan is still with us!!!
View attachment 15285
we do the same, I tow our Swift Conqueror with my Navara, its a twin axle too. I don’t really give a toss what people think, it’s a great holiday and as you say, kids love it. I think it will be even more popular in the coming years.

The Caravan Club used to have a policy of ‘No Commercials‘ as tow vehicles. Bit difficult to say that with pickups being so popular now, and I’ve never had a problem, but as a member it may make a difference? I did see a guy turn up on a site once with a caravan behind a long wheelbase sprinter, sign written, cleaning supplies iirc, thought it was a bit odd, but who am I to judge, if it’s all he had to tow it?

Mogman

Mogman

What man as done, man can do, what never has,maybe

View attachment 15284
View attachment 15285
I knew it 😳😂😂😂

V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
you're luckier than us though Keif ..... you guys get away with murder towing over there ..... looked at the pic and saw Holmes on the towbar and thought ... who the hell has a Holmes over here ???.. then clocked your name on the post :giggle: ... what're you towing that with ? that's a substantial trailer, aside from what's on it :oops: