Gunns Contractors Ltd

Quattromike

Quattromike

Well member-known
We've done a bit of work with Kawasaki robotics, they have a hand held pendant controller for teaching moves and modifying the program, when controlling in manual mode there is a trigger on the back of the pendant you have to pull in at all times which has a two stage switch, the first stage is normal use and the second stage cuts all the power and kills the machine. The thought behind it is a relaxed person pulling the trigger will be in control more than someone having a stroke or heartattack or being crushed or electric shock and so on. So basically you have to be composed at all times when you take control. It's actually weighted quite well and comfortable to operate.

Grahams

Grahams

Don't complain - suggest what's better
We've done a bit of work with Kawasaki robotics, they have a hand held pendant controller for teaching moves and modifying the program, when controlling in manual mode there is a trigger on the back of the pendant you have to pull in at all times which has a two stage switch, the first stage is normal use and the second stage cuts all the power and kills the machine. The thought behind it is a relaxed person pulling the trigger will be in control more than someone having a stroke or heartattack or being crushed or electric shock and so on. So basically you have to be composed at all times when you take control. It's actually weighted quite well and comfortable to operate.
That is quite clever.
Okay in controlled conditions when it is new, but wouldn’t want it on any of my kit, most of which is getting old and had a hard life. Also issues with thick gloves in winter compared to thin ones in summer, but I see where they are coming from.
Graham

Gunners

Gunners

So I've got my tiltrotator. First day with it today. No pics as I don't want to upset the tilty police as the install isnt quite how it should be and I've already broken a hydraulic connector on my grab in the first 10 minutes from being a poor operator :oops:
However I can confirm its been a joy to drive today, builder I'm working for even commented how useful it was. Once I get the hang of it I can see endless advantages.
Engcon are being spot on and have replacement parts in the post and an engineer due to sort my cosmetic issues.
Ill post more when I've got into it a bit more, its still early days - nobody has called me to congratulate on my new baby:ROFLMAO:

sjs5060

sjs5060

Ollie I've seen the pics on faceache, I'm feelin a touch jealous, want one for my 8026 now. Looks spot on and keep us updated with how you get on.

Ste

V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
So I've got my tiltrotator. First day with it today. No pics as I don't want to upset the tilty police as the install isnt quite how it should be and I've already broken a hydraulic connector on my grab in the first 10 minutes from being a poor operator :oops:
However I can confirm its been a joy to drive today, builder I'm working for even commented how useful it was. Once I get the hang of it I can see endless advantages.
Engcon are being spot on and have replacement parts in the post and an engineer due to sort my cosmetic issues.
Ill post more when I've got into it a bit more, its still early days - nobody has called me to congratulate on my new baby:ROFLMAO:

Congratulations Ollie (y) ... welcome to the 'dark' side o_O ....... of enlightenment :giggle::giggle:

Hydremaduck

Hydremaduck

So I've got my tiltrotator. First day with it today. No pics as I don't want to upset the tilty police as the install isnt quite how it should be and I've already broken a hydraulic connector on my grab in the first 10 minutes from being a poor operator

Congratulations Ollie.:cool: If your concerned about what others think, your in the wrong line of work mate ;) I know its nice for everything to be perfect but living in the real world, most of us accept its not. As long as things are getting sorted to your satisfaction, thats what matters. (y)
As for knocking bits off, been there done that :rolleyes: so don't worry your not the first and certainly won't be the last :p
Best advice I can give, is enjoy it. Ignore the haters and enjoy :)

V8Druid

V8Druid

Congratulations Ollie.:cool: If your concerned about what others think, your in the wrong line of work mate ;) I know its nice for everything to be perfect but living in the real world, most of us accept its not. As long as things are getting sorted to your satisfaction, thats what matters. (y)
As for knocking bits off, been there done that :rolleyes: so don't worry your not the first and certainly won't be the last :p
Best advice I can give, is enjoy it. Ignore the haters and enjoy :)
(y) what's to hate :rolleyes: ...... as for breaking a fitting :( ... I broke mine in half :eek::eek::cry: .. sort of .... that could really bring a tear to the eye of a grown man :( :cry: :giggle::giggle:

Gunners

Gunners

So some unexpected savings from tiltrotator ownership - insurance. Having just renewed my policy which used to total just short of £3000 I am now paying £1600. That's damn near half and the Engcon has helped achieve that in two ways. Firstly I sold my track barrow last year, so that's no longer on the policy but have just put the Engcon on which is worth double the barrows insured value, despite this its a £400 saving to insure - go figure:unsure:
Also by removing my employers liability and going down to 50 days adhoc labour cover its taken a whopping £900 off the total! If this tiltrotator and its various attachments can truly save me from hiring any labour then it would pay for itself in insurance savings alone. Irrespective of the labour wage saving. Ill keep you all posted but early indications are good, the machine handles it beautifully, you really don't notice it on there and whilst I'm digging in lovely Surrey sand at the moment - I'm not suffering any loss of breakout. Time will tell I guess but a nice surprise to have from the insurance company for once.

B

Brendan

Ok Ok, Ill take some tomorrow. Funnily enough when you finally get one, the last thing on your mind is to get pics of it - I'm more concerned about trying to lean how to use it effectively!:D
Steep learning curve or does it come along quite quickly?

Gunners

Gunners

Steep learning curve or does it come along quite quickly?
Its quite hard to explain but basically if digging slightly offset, the bucket enters the ground at one angle but as you curl the bucket ram on the machine the angle changes which requires tilting and rotating at the same time to keep consistent. Its a simple enough tool to operate but mastering it will take a few weeks. I'm not the first and I wont be the last to get my head around it.

V8Druid

V8Druid

Its quite hard to explain but basically if digging slightly offset, the bucket enters the ground at one angle but as you curl the bucket ram on the machine the angle changes which requires tilting and rotating at the same time to keep consistent. Its a simple enough tool to operate but mastering it will take a few weeks. I'm not the first and I wont be the last to get my head around it.

geometry is perpetually changing as you use it ...... I find it easier to get my head around with me forks under it :rolleyes: ... but it's what I use it with most I suppose :unsure: .... If I did more digging with it on it might come easier :confused: .... grab's a POP and brill for getting hold of stuff at any angle .. don't even have to think about that :giggle:

TiltyShaun

TiltyShaun

I think it will start to come together quicker than you realise....as for pics...bring them on...just don’t do the video until you have mastered it!!

Gunners

Gunners

Well here's a photo for you all. I've been using the grab in anger for the first time and its a dead handy bit of kit. Cleared a decent sized garden of bushes and shrubs and fed the chipper with it, you have to be careful of branches getting hold of the pipes out the back of the tilty to the grab but I'm learning to be a little bit more cautious with it since my episode in the yard on the first day:rolleyes:.
Its developed a couple of leaks which Engcon are aware of and we are nearly there on getting the install 100%. After a conversation this evening with Engcon, they are going to replace the tilty to save on downtime and I've got someone out Saturday morning to install it and fine tune it. Cant complain with that service and I understand these things happen. I am after all a JCB owner :p

Attachments

• 2019-01-31 10.40.18.jpg
    2019-01-31 10.40.18.jpg
    296.8 KB · Views: 271
B

Brendan

Looks great, does it take long to hook the grab up?
What sort of weight can you pick up with the tilty on?

Hydremaduck

Hydremaduck

................. and we are nearly there on getting the install 100%. After a conversation this evening with Engcon, they are going to replace the tilty to save on downtime and I've got someone out Saturday morning to install it and fine tune it. Cant complain with that service and I understand these things happen.

Anything can break irrespective of colour or manufacturer, be it a kettle, car, machine or attachment. Its the speed and type of response from the supplier that makes it a
"these things happen" type of reply or makes one go off like a bottle of pop. ;) I'm pleased to hear Engcon are getting it sorted for you.
MMMmm, if that was last week, you should have been sorted at weekend. :confused:

Gunners

Gunners

I'm pleased to hear Engcon are getting it sorted for you.
MMMmm, if that was last week, you should have been sorted at weekend. :confused:
True to their word I did have an engineer out Saturday who spend 4 hours stripping it down, fitting new seals and improving the hose routing. He has managed to fix 90% of the leaks but there is still a weep from the tilt ram. Engcon are aware and are still getting a new tilty out to me. There were no 2019 ones in stock so one is currently being made for me. This will then be modified at Engcon HQ to accommodate the perfect hose route and should be a doddle to fit on site.

Looks great, does it take long to hook the grab up?
What sort of weight can you pick up with the tilty on?

Brendan it takes under a minute to hook the grab up. I've gained a hydraulic hitch under the tilty so drop bucket off, pick up grab, turn machine off, de-pressurise the aux line it connects onto, get out and plug her in. Weight wise I haven't really been picking up much and the grab, tilty and top hitch weigh in the region of 180kg I reckon (more like 240kg if you go by the labels but I think its lighter than the plaque says) And I'd say it will pick up around 500kg comfortably. To lift tonne bags again I must put a hook on my top hitch (should of spec'd one) and drop the tilty off which again isn't very hard to do. Exactly the same process as a hammer but one added plug to remove. I always knew there would be some form of compromise especially on a small machine but what has surprised me is how few compromises I'm having to make so far. She handles it really well.

V8Druid

V8Druid

True to their word I did have an engineer out Saturday who spend 4 hours stripping it down, fitting new seals and improving the hose routing. He has managed to fix 90% of the leaks but there is still a weep from the tilt ram. Engcon are aware and are still getting a new tilty out to me. There were no 2019 ones in stock so one is currently being made for me. This will then be modified at Engcon HQ to accommodate the perfect hose route and should be a doddle to fit on site.
Bloody hell .... how many leaks did you have :oops: