Good work if you can get it

6

6feetdown

Well-known member
"make hay ..." won't be selling a lot once the wood-burner ban bites :rolleyes: ...... first steps're already in the pipeline with registration of all wood burners imminent ... (an' they can go **** themselves, locally )

" Did I invite you on to my property? No? Best leave while you are still able to " ....


saw a great quote recently ... "the older you get, the less of a deterrent life becomes " :giggle::giggle::LOL: .............. an' apparently, according to Dan @Monkeybusiness, the grumpier The Druid gets :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: :cool:(y)
f**k em
 
maz

maz

Well-known member
£150 for a bulk bag sounds excessive, but realistically it’s where it needs to be to be profitable!
I spent most of the summer cutting and splitting about 35 vented bulk bags worth for my own stove. I wouldn’t give any of them away for £150, I was like a burst ball every night processing it, horrible back breaking work, especially if the wood is the lumpy shite thats not processor friendly!
 
Storrsy

Storrsy

Well-known member
I spent most of the summer cutting and splitting about 35 vented bulk bags worth for my own stove. I wouldn’t give any of them away for £150, I was like a burst ball every night processing it, horrible back breaking work, especially if the wood is the lumpy shite thats not processor friendly!
The man who cuts his own firewood gets twice as warm as they say!

I don't even bother doing my own firewood now for myself. I just buy it in. What's the point breaking my back splitting my own wood only to have to be rehandled several times before I even get it into the house. When I can sit in my nice warm machine and earn the money to buy it in instead😊 I don't have a processor or a splitter so it's never worth the effort with an axe
 
S

Smiffy

Well-known member
The man who cuts his own firewood gets twice as warm as they say!

I don't even bother doing my own firewood now for myself. I just buy it in. What's the point breaking my back splitting my own wood only to have to be rehandled several times before I even get it into the house. When I can sit in my nice warm machine and earn the money to buy it in instead😊 I don't have a processor or a splitter so it's never worth the effort with an axe

When I lived in a caravan on a farm the boss said I could have firewood for free if I only felled the dead or dieing trees. Went round felling all the ash with ash die back. Only took the main stem just pushed the brash back in the woods for habitat. Was so easy to split with an axe I don't think you could have gone any quicker with a splitter.
Sod doing it with oak or hornbeam by hand
 
doobin

doobin

Well-known member
Is there a rule of thumb for how much kwh you get per ton when burning. Surely it can't be cheaper than gas at a fiver per small bag. Would you burn a full small bag per night with a proper stove?
Interesting comparison site posted on Arbtalk the other day, accounting for efficiencies of various appliances.

Logs are currently second cheapest, only heating oil is cheaper.
When I lived in a caravan on a farm the boss said I could have firewood for free if I only felled the dead or dieing trees. Went round felling all the ash with ash die back. Only took the main stem just pushed the brash back in the woods for habitat. Was so easy to split with an axe I don't think you could have gone any quicker with a splitter.
Sod doing it with oak or hornbeam by hand
I had the same deal as you when I was 17 (remember I mentioned making £40 a load after work on the farm?) I was doing it with a mate, we couldn’t believe our luck when we found a massive old tree down in the woods. Went down the local saw shop and got stitched up like kippers buying a pair of Double Eagle 50s- with manual oilers. New old stock, boys, going cheap. Yeah, turned out new old stock from the ‘87 storm- this would have been around 2005!

Off we went, and ringed this tree up, hauling it back with the Honda ATC250es and a trailer. See, back then, you bought the Honda trikes if you couldn’t afford a quad. How times have changed- should have kept it. Along with the Suzuki SJ413, Wembley Longbow .22 and a multitude of other stuff from my teenage years.

Back at the yard, we attacked the rounds with gusto with our axes. They just bounced off. After ten minutes, we’d split just one round, and that already had a crack in it. Up comes old Fred, the relief milker. “What are you doing pissing around with that?” he says “That’s Hornbeam!”

🤦‍♂️. We ended up halving each ring to about 5” just to split it. Proceeded to stack it in a disused shed (paying the landlord £20 a month!) where it sat and grew mould.

No wonder I’m not keen on logs.
 
J

Jimoz

Well-known member
Surely is depends what you're paying for the fuel be it logs oil or gas? Is there a weight to kwh rule with logs? Some rough googling gets .35kg ?
 
doobin

doobin

Well-known member
Surely is depends what you're paying for the fuel be it logs oil or gas? Is there a weight to kwh rule with logs? Some rough googling gets .35kg ?
All there on the chart- current average prices, heating method efficiency and comparison costs. I'll try to find it
 
doobin

doobin

Well-known member
All there on the chart- current average prices, heating method efficiency and comparison costs. I'll try to find it
Here ya go- updated monthly.

Screenshot 2022-12-10 at 13.20.01.png



 
V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
Here ya go- updated monthly.

View attachment 42005


very interesting and informative Doob .. cheers (y):cool:
 
6

6feetdown

Well-known member
Near the bottom of the list bought this morning
 

Attachments

  • 20221210_144234.jpg
    20221210_144234.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 145
Bri963

Bri963

Well-known member
Sounds like most of us have had a bash at firewood at some point. I started when I was on the farm, begging The odd tree that we felled for fence lines and a tractor and trailer to get it home. We were in a tied cottage with only a footbridge across the dyke to it, we used to tip the wood in the dyke then drag it up our side into the garden.

The processor was a two-man saw operated by me on my own, my grandad’s axe (still got it, it weighs a bit less than it did due to all of the sharpenings) Things improved when an uncle gave me a 14” non-running Husky, which a spark plug and carb re-con sorted for the next five or six years.

Later, in my own place and with a bit of space, when I got the start on plant, anything that came down on site was fair game, especially when I could get it tipped at home. Got a bit grim some days, 12 hrs on site then two hours carting and stacking an eight-wheeler load of wood.

Best earner was on a Cat duck clearing an ex-Peterborough Development Corporation tree nursery of unwanted stumps of trees that had got too big to transplant. Most had been cut three or four feet above the stump, so there was some good wood left on them. Me and the boss came to an agreement, to save on tipping charges I ringed up as much as I could with the 084, then loaded it up and he had it tipped it at my house. So I got paid to saw up around 40 tonnes of logs, then what I got for selling it. I hated the sight of the 084 after that, I can still feel my shoulders vibrating 30 years on.
 
Grahams

Grahams

Don't complain - suggest what's better
Unfortunately firewood has become much more expensive. The idiot Gove came up with new rules about all sellers having to be registered (for a fee and paperwork) and any sale under 2m3 needs to be kiln dried.
Obviously at present plenty are ignoring it, but it will only take a few high profile prosecutions and you local seller of bagged firewood will stop or have to significantly increase his price.
 
Giles

Giles

Well-known member
I just do my own when we have it, clear any sites etc keep the bigger logs or tree comes down at parents farm ring it up then use big stone cropper to split it. Got 7 Indian stone crates full, seasoning in old stables. At home got two big piles of trees I cleared from garden working through them at moment split a dumpy bucket full to last an evening. Got in roaring away at moment as it’s snowing outside.
 

Attachments

  • 9DFCD116-43B2-4EFB-92E3-AF6D74DDC5AE.jpeg
    9DFCD116-43B2-4EFB-92E3-AF6D74DDC5AE.jpeg
    172.5 KB · Views: 188
Lancs Lad

Lancs Lad

Well-known member
Interesting comparison site posted on Arbtalk the other day, accounting for efficiencies of various appliances.

Logs are currently second cheapest, only heating oil is cheaper.

I had the same deal as you when I was 17 (remember I mentioned making £40 a load after work on the farm?) I was doing it with a mate, we couldn’t believe our luck when we found a massive old tree down in the woods. Went down the local saw shop and got stitched up like kippers buying a pair of Double Eagle 50s- with manual oilers. New old stock, boys, going cheap. Yeah, turned out new old stock from the ‘87 storm- this would have been around 2005!

Off we went, and ringed this tree up, hauling it back with the Honda ATC250es and a trailer. See, back then, you bought the Honda trikes if you couldn’t afford a quad. How times have changed- should have kept it. Along with the Suzuki SJ413, Wembley Longbow .22 and a multitude of other stuff from my teenage years.

Back at the yard, we attacked the rounds with gusto with our axes. They just bounced off. After ten minutes, we’d split just one round, and that already had a crack in it. Up comes old Fred, the relief milker. “What are you doing pissing around with that?” he says “That’s Hornbeam!”

🤦‍♂️. We ended up halving each ring to about 5” just to split it. Proceeded to stack it in a disused shed (paying the landlord £20 a month!) where it sat and grew mould.

No wonder I’m not keen on logs.
Scabs from the mill burn well doob...plus they really have earnt their coin 😁
 
Last edited:
Bri963

Bri963

Well-known member
Question on pellets, as it’s not something I’ve looked into. Is it just chipped to a certain size, or ground and pelletised? Also, does it have to be moisture checked before sale? Seems if there are regs round logs the same ought to apply to pellets?
 
S

Stroppymonkey

Well-known member
Here ya go- updated monthly.

View attachment 42005


And you see why I get so pissed when customers tell em they want to switch to electricity to save money 😂
 
Top