S
f**k em"make hay ..." won't be selling a lot once the wood-burner ban bites...... first steps're already in the pipeline with registration of all wood burners imminent ... (an' they can go **** themselves, locally )
" Did I invite you on to my property? No? Best leave while you are still able to " ....
saw a great quote recently ... "the older you get, the less of a deterrent life becomes ".............. an' apparently, according to Dan @Monkeybusiness, the grumpier The Druid gets
![]()
![]()
I spent most of the summer cutting and splitting about 35 vented bulk bags worth for my own stove. I wouldn’t give any of them away for £150, I was like a burst ball every night processing it, horrible back breaking work, especially if the wood is the lumpy shite thats not processor friendly!£150 for a bulk bag sounds excessive, but realistically it’s where it needs to be to be profitable!
The man who cuts his own firewood gets twice as warm as they say!I spent most of the summer cutting and splitting about 35 vented bulk bags worth for my own stove. I wouldn’t give any of them away for £150, I was like a burst ball every night processing it, horrible back breaking work, especially if the wood is the lumpy shite thats not processor friendly!
The man who cuts his own firewood gets twice as warm as they say!
I don't even bother doing my own firewood now for myself. I just buy it in. What's the point breaking my back splitting my own wood only to have to be rehandled several times before I even get it into the house. When I can sit in my nice warm machine and earn the money to buy it in insteadI don't have a processor or a splitter so it's never worth the effort with an axe
Interesting comparison site posted on Arbtalk the other day, accounting for efficiencies of various appliances.Is there a rule of thumb for how much kwh you get per ton when burning. Surely it can't be cheaper than gas at a fiver per small bag. Would you burn a full small bag per night with a proper stove?
I had the same deal as you when I was 17 (remember I mentioned making £40 a load after work on the farm?) I was doing it with a mate, we couldn’t believe our luck when we found a massive old tree down in the woods. Went down the local saw shop and got stitched up like kippers buying a pair of Double Eagle 50s- with manual oilers. New old stock, boys, going cheap. Yeah, turned out new old stock from the ‘87 storm- this would have been around 2005!When I lived in a caravan on a farm the boss said I could have firewood for free if I only felled the dead or dieing trees. Went round felling all the ash with ash die back. Only took the main stem just pushed the brash back in the woods for habitat. Was so easy to split with an axe I don't think you could have gone any quicker with a splitter.
Sod doing it with oak or hornbeam by hand
All there on the chart- current average prices, heating method efficiency and comparison costs. I'll try to find itSurely is depends what you're paying for the fuel be it logs oil or gas? Is there a weight to kwh rule with logs? Some rough googling gets .35kg ?
Here ya go- updated monthly.All there on the chart- current average prices, heating method efficiency and comparison costs. I'll try to find it
nottenergy.com
very interesting and informative Doob .. cheersHere ya go- updated monthly.
View attachment 42005
Energy Cost Comparison - Nottingham Energy Partnership
Different energy sources are measured in different units: kWh, therms, BTU, cubic metres, litres and more. This makes it very difficult to compare the actual costs for powering a heating system between different energy sources. In order to make a fair comparison we need standardised units to...nottenergy.com
Scabs from the mill burn well doob...plus they really have earnt their coinInteresting comparison site posted on Arbtalk the other day, accounting for efficiencies of various appliances.
Logs are currently second cheapest, only heating oil is cheaper.
I had the same deal as you when I was 17 (remember I mentioned making £40 a load after work on the farm?) I was doing it with a mate, we couldn’t believe our luck when we found a massive old tree down in the woods. Went down the local saw shop and got stitched up like kippers buying a pair of Double Eagle 50s- with manual oilers. New old stock, boys, going cheap. Yeah, turned out new old stock from the ‘87 storm- this would have been around 2005!
Off we went, and ringed this tree up, hauling it back with the Honda ATC250es and a trailer. See, back then, you bought the Honda trikes if you couldn’t afford a quad. How times have changed- should have kept it. Along with the Suzuki SJ413, Wembley Longbow .22 and a multitude of other stuff from my teenage years.
Back at the yard, we attacked the rounds with gusto with our axes. They just bounced off. After ten minutes, we’d split just one round, and that already had a crack in it. Up comes old Fred, the relief milker. “What are you doing pissing around with that?” he says “That’s Hornbeam!”
. We ended up halving each ring to about 5” just to split it. Proceeded to stack it in a disused shed (paying the landlord £20 a month!) where it sat and grew mould.
No wonder I’m not keen on logs.
And you see why I get so pissed when customers tell em they want to switch to electricity to save moneyHere ya go- updated monthly.
View attachment 42005
Energy Cost Comparison - Nottingham Energy Partnership
Different energy sources are measured in different units: kWh, therms, BTU, cubic metres, litres and more. This makes it very difficult to compare the actual costs for powering a heating system between different energy sources. In order to make a fair comparison we need standardised units to...nottenergy.com
Yup we run them through the circular saw bench usually. Harry has sold all the twenty bags already, I’ve not had much call for milling work since and all the butts I had from a job have been converted to cants.Scabs from the mill burn well doob...plus they really have earnt their coin![]()