J
"make hay ..." won't be selling a lot once the wood-burner ban bites
We've all noticed this"make hay ..." won't be selling a lot once the wood-burner ban bites...... first steps're already in the pipeline with registration of all wood burners imminent ... (an' they can go **** themselves, locally )
" Did I invite you on to my property? No? Best leave while you are still able to " ....
saw a great quote recently ... "the older you get, the less of a deterrent life becomes ".............. an' apparently, according to Dan @Monkeybusiness, the grumpier The Druid gets
![]()
![]()
We are at £120 a cube and to be honest it needs to be more. Don’t do much. Basically I have a keen lad who first started coming to my yard age 16. He’s a good mate now, works for a local farmer. The deal is, he does all the work, I supply all the machinery and lend the ‘business’ the seed capital for logs/bags/spud crates and we split the money 50/50.Woodsure? Less than 20%..
Tbf my crates are approx 300kg ish
...so that's £150 and they more than a cube. And there's some silly rates online for cubes ATM.
Daft yes but then there's folk who just want tidy little packs sat next to their firenot the ugly mountains in our place
Stoves not been out for a few weeks now
Firewoods an emotive subject but it needed to go up ...I mean I know folk still at 60 quid a cube it was that 15 years ago![]()
Several places around here hitting 150 for a bulk bag. I can't see those nets being that expensive really when you consider the typical consumer. People buying little bags arnt heating there house.Woodsure? Less than 20%..
Tbf my crates are approx 300kg ish
...so that's £150 and they more than a cube. And there's some silly rates online for cubes ATM.
Daft yes but then there's folk who just want tidy little packs sat next to their firenot the ugly mountains in our place
Stoves not been out for a few weeks now
Firewoods an emotive subject but it needed to go up ...I mean I know folk still at 60 quid a cube it was that 15 years ago![]()
£150 for a bulk bag sounds excessive, but realistically it’s where it needs to be to be profitable! Remember that a builders bulk bag is 80cm cubed (.5m3), vented log bags are often .9 cubed (.72m3) or the full 1m3.Several places around here hitting 150 for a bulk bag. I can't see those nets being that expensive really when you consider the typical consumer. People buying little bags arnt heating there house.
I would find it more concerning the lack of mentioning of what the logs are. Id be a bit worried a load of wet willow would turn up.
My mate has listed on his website 1cube of gym logs at nearly half the price of the other options. People keep getting a shock when they find a cube of rings in there driveway.
I like the chainsaw holder on the diggerWe are at £120 a cube and to be honest it needs to be more. Don’t do much. Basically I have a keen lad who first started coming to my yard age 16. He’s a good mate now, works for a local farmer. The deal is, he does all the work, I supply all the machinery and lend the ‘business’ the seed capital for logs/bags/spud crates and we split the money 50/50.
The trouble is, processor grade cordwood is approaching £2.5k an arctic! Out of that you might get 45-50 cube. So you barely double the money on the wood plus have all the hassle of delivery. We have managed to scratch enough cordwood together from local sources for now.
I gave him a hand today cause I didn’t fancy being out on site!
Yup, we had the Friday lad on the Sherpa splitter doing the Arb waste today- fed up of looking at it. Took him all day to do about five cube, and that’s with me holding and cutting with the digger prior to him splitting it.I like the chainsaw holder on the digger
Don't think there's anything easy about firewood really. Quite a lot of work for not a vast return- probably ok if getting the wood "free" from other jobs but then likely to be s**t unprocessable wood.
12mm Stockboard. Works a treat.Which saw holder doob? Was going to make one out of timber but rather one that lasts.
Ah good ive a 8x4 sheet of that at a loose end.12mm Stockboard. Works a treat.
I need to remake it with slightly thicker edges, will post detailed pics when I do.
But nobody can impress their mates with a gas fire can theyIs there a rule of thumb for how much kwh you get per ton when burning. Surely it can't be cheaper than gas at a fiver per small bag. Would you burn a full small bag per night with a proper stove?
How is it fixed to the digger?12mm Stockboard. Works a treat.
I need to remake it with slightly thicker edges, will post detailed pics when I do.
Uses two of the panel mounting bolts.How is it fixed to the digger?
£150 for a bulk bag sounds excessive, but realistically it’s where it needs to be to be profitable! Remember that a builders bulk bag is 80cm cubed (.5m3), vented log bags are often .9 cubed (.72m3) or the full 1m3.
The problem is, logs are a trade with a very low barrier to entry! I should know, I remember how £40 cash from a log delivery after a days work on the farm seemed like a fortune!I tried to explain all this to my mate Harry, but he was adamant that a processor would make it profitable. One came up locally and the Iseki didn’t shift despite being listed for two months at 4k so we went for it. He’s got £720 worth going out tomorrow.