Druidic Dabblings and General Twaddle !!

Mark

Mark

Something wrong with the end cap/gland?
Has it got a cushion in the ram?

Had a very similar thing in a dipper ram, old machine, but had a big collar behind the gland, it looked fine, but was picking up on the road and ruined it.

not seen inside it personally, finnings has it apart twice so you would think they would have noticed.

Shovelhands

Shovelhands

not seen inside it personally, finnings has it apart twice so you would think they would have noticed.
Never assume.....🤦‍♂️

Maybe it’s time they replaced the entire cylinder as a unit?

GazCro

GazCro

They've likely been putting a "fitter" on the job. It'll be ok in the end when they've swapped enough parts.

V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
View attachment 15218
Thoughts on this rod Druid?
Will be getting done under warranty by finning, got them to replace rod and reseal it last august. Month or two later started scoring like so, perfect scoring length wise on the rod and 360 degrees. Got another new rod and resealed in January and done the exact same again only 300 hours on so on this rod and done the exact same.
gland bearing tolerances too tight to be doing that constantly .. especially in that short a period ... they've had two go,s at a rod .... you want the whole cylinder replacing complete ... obviously a fault somewhere and they can have it back to see if they can find it .... will only need another in 300 hrs :rolleyes:

V8Druid

V8Druid

I have been playing round with Silver again this weekend, cast this little Lego heart for a friend of Helen's who is a NHS nurse and fellow AFOL.

This was cast from 925 Sterling in a Deflt Sand flask mould :) Was good fun!

View attachment 15216

View attachment 15210

View attachment 15211

View attachment 15212

View attachment 15213

View attachment 15214

View attachment 15215
well I'm damned :rolleyes: ... I thought I was the only one on here with a jeweler's fret saw in me tool box, Alex :giggle:.....
used to do a fair bit of jewelry casting in college ... centrifuge lost wax was interesting and cuttle fish is brilliant .. get some fabulous detail, impressing 'patterns' into cuttle and is very quick -- can also be carved nicley too .... pewter is good for playing about with and gives an exceptional finish
I'll see if I can find some of my stuff ... must be some kicking about here
have never tried sand casting for jewelry, but done a lot of ali sand casting of all sorts though ... kids in school used to love sand casting, but you'd not get away with doing it now :(:cry::cry:

honey_badger

honey_badger

well I'm damned :rolleyes: ... I thought I was the only one on here with a jeweler's fret saw in me tool box, Alex :giggle:.....
used to do a fair bit of jewelry casting in college ... centrifuge lost wax was interesting and cuttle fish is brilliant .. get some fabulous detail, impressing 'patterns' into cuttle and is very quick -- can also be carved nicley too .... pewter is good for playing about with and gives an exceptional finish
have never tried sand casting for jewelry, but done a lot of ali sand casting of all sorts though ... kids in school used to love sand casting, but you'd not get away with doing it now :(:cry::cry:
I did sand casting in school, sixth form, pretty tightly monitored though :ROFLMAO:
When we did DT they had to give us individual breifings on the angle grinders, welder ect. We weren't supposed to change the discs on the grinder ourselves and they kept the tool hidden somewhere:ROFLMAO:
The teacher asks 'have you used the welder before' I said I'd used 'a' welder and he said becuase it wasn't this one he has to show me, he was showing me 'how to weld' lol. When he gave me the torch I tried to push instead of pull and he told me I couldn't weld like that I had to pull it :ROFLMAO:

V8Druid

V8Druid

got a delivery this morning ... several gallons of petrol for the mowers :) and an hour's entertainment from Clara running round the lawn .. then 'twere mower time again .....

twenty minutes into galloping the Dane around beside the drive and it weren't cutting ... had been catching whiffs of rubber for a few minutes so guessed it'd eaten a belt ..... oh yeh ... :oops::rolleyes:

WP_20200519_13_18_55_Pro.jpg

WP_20200519_13_25_06_Pro.jpg

two in stock :giggle:
WP_20200519_13_30_30_Pro.jpg

don't get caught out in season without spares ;)
serious spring maintaining tension on this lil' bugger ... a 4 ft bar's worth of tension :oops::sneaky:

WP_20200519_13_36_08_Pro.jpg

belt fitted and thought I'd give the underside of the deck a clean off in case summat had had the belt .. serious pile of tish from out from under there .... cut bloody well afterwards though :giggle:
the grass is now so dry that it's slicker than when it's wet and had a few interesting moments on some of the steeper bits ... really thought I'd lost it at one point ... even the herring bones were struggling for grip ... half a tonne of Dane is impossible to wrestle when it ain't responding to the helm/tillers .... but we survived ....
time for some munchies :giggle::giggle:
Countax's turn for the lawn, next ... thought I'd just stick me hand under the deck, see what that was like .. not long since I did it last ... unbelievable build up in there :oops::cry: ... so deck off and clean that !! :( ...... always cuts so much better cleaned out .... whizzed that round the lawn, then ran it over the grass beside the drive to collect up the Danes devastation ..... and the day'd gone just about ... half four and thought I'd just chuck this on the bench ...

WP_20200519_17_54_37_Pro.jpg

Miller Scoop I had off Rory's mate Roy a while ago .... been pondering a re-cheek for it for a while and had come up with a viable proposition the other evening, incorporating some bits I'd already got made up, which i'd used on the Hill, when I initially had it under the VA-r, some time ago .....

set up to flip it ..
WP_20200519_17_55_01_Pro.jpg

handy 27mm holes in either side of it ..... (y):cool:

WP_20200519_18_00_43_Pro.jpg

and over it went :giggle: ...... just in time 'fore tea got called ....

Va-r got dropped off in the corner, 'fore I picked the scoop .....
WP_20200519_19_57_29_Pro.jpg

(looking a lot cleaner and tidier than it was, poor thing)

and stuck the forks on, 'cos I was by 'em, dropping the VA-r .... they could do with a spruce up too, but ought to fit the bosses I made for them months ago, before I get around to a clean off and re-paint ... that'll keep me 'gainfully employed, for an hour or two :);)

Mocked up the fit for the 70mm pick ups on the scoop after tea .... looking good (y)...... bit of fab.-ing coming up for all you fab.-starved individuals, in need of a fix :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

watch this space, as they say :unsure:

Cyberprog

Cyberprog

It has worked quite well so far. I'm rather impressed. I'd like to try wax in plaster, but requires a high cycle time. I think later this year I will invest in a 3D printer and hopefully that should make wax more accessible. Of course I'll then have to get an oven setup to burn the wax out. It should give finer detail.

With sand if I cock it up, reset time is around 30mins to cycle back round. I'm learning more every time I do it.

I remember doing soldering in DT and holding the soldering iron under the bridge of my nose / top lip to see how hot it was - it was how I was aught at home! Teacher got annoyed at me and tried arguing with my father, the guy who a) taught me and b) had a PhD in physics. Teacher did not come back looking happy after that phone call!

V8Druid

V8Druid

had these sat about which I'd made up for the Hill under the VA-r soooooome time ago .... 'fore it got fitted more permanently ..
and had been pondering whether I could utilise 'em for the Scoop I had off Roy

WP_20200520_11_46_20_Pro.jpg

the off set on them worked out just about right to get me out to my required width for the Miller on the 'Drema's dipper
WP_20200520_11_46_32_Pro.jpg

took a bit of sussing initially ... but worked out the best spot for 'em
WP_20200520_13_39_34_Pro.jpg

setting up the one side wasn't so bad once i'd decided how ..
WP_20200520_13_50_20_Pro.jpg

getting 'tother side right was a bit more interesting.... liberated a pair of pins from me B20 adapter to get things lined up
WP_20200520_15_40_45_Pro.jpg

and trusted that Miller had got their pins right, so paralleled off them ... they looked and measured as pretty fair

braced the first pair parallel with the existing cheeks
WP_20200520_16_20_49_Pro.jpg

and set up the fourth eye
WP_20200520_16_45_13_Pro.jpg

a LOT of careful measuring went into getting those pins right ... 400 centres, parallel and square to each other - parallel to the originals, etc. and that the pins'd slip in/out nicely .... then braced them to each other and the bucket
WP_20200520_17_10_55_Pro.jpg

before setting about them with the Caddy ...... would've loved to have mig-ed 'em, but been a real blowy day here today ... good job or it'd have been baking ... been sweating cobs all day as it was ... been 27C here :oops:o_O

few decent stitches ... then rolled it
WP_20200520_17_27_23_Pro.jpg

matched the stitches .... and rolled it
WP_20200520_17_44_29_Pro.jpg

you get the idea ....... I rolled this a lot
and put a lot of this down
WP_20200520_18_58_56_Pro.jpg

WP_20200520_19_11_09_Pro.jpg

WP_20200520_19_29_49_Pro.jpg

can see why it got seriously braced ...
WP_20200520_19_29_45_Pro.jpg

V8Druid

V8Druid

anyway ...... it was all straight and true after I'd had me tea and it'd cooled down
so ... picked it down off the bench .......
WP_20200520_20_09_31_Pro.jpg

knocked a few of the braces out with the cold chisel ....
WP_20200520_20_09_45_Pro.jpg

and slid those big 70s into their holes

WP_20200520_20_19_44_Pro.jpg

went in sweet as pie .. (y):giggle: .... i'll knock out the rest of the braces tomorrow and fettle off all the tacks holding 'em ..... then see how it looks in the Miller ...... wish I'd had this for rock ripping, when I was tearing out the various layers I took out leveling me patch .... it'd have been the kiddy

might add a few gussets, but I don't really think they'll be necessary ...... those cheeks are NOT coming off .......... without the gas axe or a thin disc.
easy enough to return this to it's originality if required ... it's a VERY nicely made bucket ... can see why Miller charge for 'em :rolleyes::unsure:

toddled down the drive after I'd locked up, 'bout half eight, see if we'd had any post ... we planted this three years ago and has fruited every year since,

WP_20200520_20_41_12_Pro.jpg

but yet to taste any ..... the bloody birds always get to 'em first

WP_20200520_20_41_18_Pro.jpg

really good crop this year and I LOVE cherries ..... anyone got any patent methods for keeping our feathered friends off the buggers this year ?? :unsure: ... short of sitting there, guarding the damned things for weeks :mad:

this came over lunch time ........ hedge hopping :oops:
WP_20200520_12_44_45_Pro.jpg

could hear it coming but couldn't see it .... 'til it appeared over the trees !!!!!!!!! :cool:

Last edited:
Cyberprog

Cyberprog

really good crop this year and I LOVE cherries ..... anyone got any patent methods for keeping our feathered friends off the buggers this year ?? :unsure: ... short of sitting there, guarding the damned things for weeks :mad:
Big reverse bird cage? You can get netting for hedges that stops em nesting, perhaps that's an option too?

Cyberprog

Cyberprog

Was tinkering again this evening myself - made this lovely Lego head charm for Helen's bracelet.

IMG_20200520_204603.jpg

Also tried to cast a minifig for a necklace but struggling to get it to flow right in the mould! Think I need more silver tbh.

IMG_20200520_190251.jpg

V8Druid

V8Druid

Was tinkering again this evening myself - made this lovely Lego head charm for Helen's bracelet.

View attachment 15274

Also tried to cast a minifig for a necklace but struggling to get it to flow right in the mould! Think I need more silver tbh.

View attachment 15275
might benefit from a de-gassing tablet (or a piece of one at least) ... and ... an air way from his hands scraped into the sand back to the upper main body, to allow air out of the 'pocket' ... you'll just have to cut the small sprue it creates, off

Cyberprog

Cyberprog

Yep. That's a good point, I could easily add that on its back. May have to experiment another evening.

V8Druid

V8Druid

Yep. That's a good point, I could easily add that on its back. May have to experiment another evening.
there is an art to venting moulds, to ensure no gassing issues ... got to think like an air bubble :giggle::giggle:

Cyberprog

Cyberprog

Yep, I used a vent on the ring if I recall, will have a play. Think I just drilled a hole through the sand by hand.

V8Druid

V8Druid

well I had it on the Miller yesterday .....
WP_20200521_15_09_28_Pro.jpg

WP_20200521_15_13_16_Pro.jpg

WP_20200521_15_15_05_Pro.jpg

but only after a bit of tweaking with the Dewalt 5" ...... forgot that those cheeks had never been under the Miller .. they were originally made to pin the Hill to the pin on lugs originally fitted under the VA-r

but I got there with some judicious adjustments ... and a bit of extra welding here and there to make sure ;) and fully secured the bosses whilst I had it back on the bench

WP_20200521_17_56_03_Pro.jpg

WP_20200521_17_56_08_Pro.jpg

The front hook on that hitch is a beast of a thing :oops: ... but as said ... I triumphed (y):giggle::giggle:

anyone else get the rain last night??? ............and the wind today ... been a wild day

Cyberprog

Cyberprog

Aye. Been blowing a hooley all day here. A little rain earlier too. I've bought a new game (Fallout 4) so am a little bit addicted ATM.