Driveway gate options.

V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
usually the galvers do the powder coat finish too ..... looks to have still been 'spelter' (galv dross) in places, which should have been fettled off before getting powder coated ..... if it was mine ..... it would be rejected as substandard .. end of
 
R

rossandson

Well-known member
Alternatively have you considered an automatic bollard? I appreciate doesn’t stop people walking in but stops vehicles or machines going in or out. Just an idea. 😊
 
D

DaveDCB

Well-known member
usually the galvers do the powder coat finish too ..... looks to have still been 'spelter' (galv dross) in places, which should have been fettled off before getting powder coated ..... if it was mine ..... it would be rejected as substandard .. end of
I agree, not acceptable an finish! That said, they should of probably mentioned before taking in the job that you won’t get a perfect finish with powder coat over galv.
Worse so is the chips!
 
J

Jimoz

Well-known member
That chip is a funny one. The gate came straight from the powder coating place to here, the guy went to fetch it. Is it a chip after paint or is the finish just that piss poor?
I'll have to tell him it needs a good looking at before any dollar is parted with. Is it sortable?
 
J

Jimoz

Well-known member
This bloke came recommended too. I had a slightly cheaper quote but this guy has done a few around here. I'm wondering though if as has been warned elsewhere I've paid too little. This was close to half the cost I was originally getting quoted.
 
J

Jimoz

Well-known member
More pics. Same mark on front of gate as above
 

Attachments

  • 20201120_083834.jpg
    20201120_083834.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 171
  • 20201120_084728.jpg
    20201120_084728.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 166
V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
That chip is a funny one. The gate came straight from the powder coating place to here, the guy went to fetch it. Is it a chip after paint or is the finish just that piss poor?
I'll have to tell him it needs a good looking at before any dollar is parted with. Is it sortable?
the 'chip' is almost certainly a lump of spelter, which has come away .. bare steel visible .. so no galv there at all BTLs ... it will forever give problems.
rectifying it all is not going to be an easy fix :(
 
V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
More pics. Same mark on front of gate as above
not good .. hasn't even ground the tube joint welds off tidily in the first place :(:cry: ...
the galvers would be at fault here really, with the surface finish .. as said the galvers and the powder coaters are usually one and the same ... their fettlers have not done their job and neither have the tank guys, allowing spelter to be 'included' in the surface finish .... TBH wants completely re-doing and should be at the galver's / powder coater's expense

once sent a small one piece fabricated stair flight for galv ... usual guys and all vented / drained in the right places ..... came back in a hell of a mess, with a pool of zinc 2" thick, in one corner ... total negligence .. they ended up paying for us to make a new flight and another company galving it ... at a premium as it was an urgent job anyway and speed costs
 
J

Jimoz

Well-known member
Cheers druid for the advice. They're here now cracking on with it. Nothing that can be done about it yet so I'll let them get finished so I have a working gate first. Will there deffo be no galv on those chips?
Do you think at just over 3k I've stolen this or fair money? It's around 4.5m and 1.2m ish high
 
V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
Cheers druid for the advice. They're here now cracking on with it. Nothing that can be done about it yet so I'll let them get finished so I have a working gate first. Will there deffo be no galv on those chips?
Do you think at just over 3k I've stolen this or fair money? It's around 4.5m and 1.2m ish high
looks to be bare steel here ..... and rusty at that
20201119_093153-jpg.19416

sadly there is only one cure for that

If it weren't for the issues, I'd say you've had a fair deal TBH .. lot of work for the money .... just a pity the coaters have made such a balls of their part in the story ... there is regulatory body for them ;) that'd be worth consulting with ... take some good clear pix of all of your concerns and email them through for an opinion

Dr Desmond Makepeace MICorr
Technical Executive


Galvanizers Association
Wren's Court
56 Victoria Road
Sutton Coldfield
West Midlands
B72 1SY

T +44(0)121 355 8838
DD +44(0)121 362 1215
E [email protected]
www.galvanizing.org.uk
 
J

Jimoz

Well-known member
Don't think I'll be "making peace" if I grass them up ha! Better see what the man thinks about it before I go sending emails. It's not him that galvs or coats so he may be not to bothered about throwing it back to them!? Will those spots always give problems flaking etc?

Yeh I was happy with the price never chiseled him down but just want to make sure I'm not expecting champagne on lemonade budget?
 
M

Monkeybusiness

Well-known member
not good .. hasn't even ground the tube joint welds off tidily in the first place :(:cry: ...
the galvers would be at fault here really, with the surface finish .. as said the galvers and the powder coaters are usually one and the same ... their fettlers have not done their job and neither have the tank guys, allowing spelter to be 'included' in the surface finish .... TBH wants completely re-doing and should be at the galver's / powder coater's expense

once sent a small one piece fabricated stair flight for galv ... usual guys and all vented / drained in the right places ..... came back in a hell of a mess, with a pool of zinc 2" thick, in one corner ... total negligence .. they ended up paying for us to make a new flight and another company galving it ... at a premium as it was an urgent job anyway and speed costs
Could the stairs not have been chucked back in the zinc tank to melt off the poor galv and re-coat, or does it not work like that?
 
V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
Could the stairs not have been chucked back in the zinc tank to melt off the poor galv and re-coat, or does it not work like that?
was my Q too MB ... but'd need too long in the bath and run the risk of totally distorting the fabrication ... a 2" chunk of zinc'd take a while to melt :(
 
Top