Scraperman
Well-known member
One of the rams that operates the 4 in 1 clam shell on the front bucket on my Project 8 3CX is weeping and so I bought the seals to re-seal it. But I am having great difficulty in undoing the cylinder cap on the ram and wondered if anyone is able to help and/or advise ? It is an internal screw type of ram cap and I have never had problems with any of my external type of rams caps but I just can’t get this one loose.
So far I have removed the pin at the piston end of the ram but left the pin in place at the other end of the cylinder so that I have got the cylinder well anchored. The photo. shows two felt tip marks on the ram and cap each of which contain marks that I made with a centre punch. I made these marks once I started having difficulty so that I could check to see if I had actually moved the cap. I then placed a pair of stillsons on the cap but couldn’t move it. I then got two lump hammers, one in each hand, and hit the cylinder casing in the area where the threaded part of the cap is, each hammer being opposite the other one. The idea was to try and shock the cap. I tried the stillons again but still no good. I then got a cold chisel and tried to knock the cap undone but to no avail. Finally I got an 18 inch pair of stillsons with a 4 foot tube on the end of them, put it on the cap and then tried to undo it but it just wouldn’t move.
I presume that there is something like Loctite that is used when initially assembling the ram. I only have one last resort but I am a bit reluctant to put heat on the cylinder where the cap is but maybe that is my only option. Any help and/or advice would be very much appreciated.
So far I have removed the pin at the piston end of the ram but left the pin in place at the other end of the cylinder so that I have got the cylinder well anchored. The photo. shows two felt tip marks on the ram and cap each of which contain marks that I made with a centre punch. I made these marks once I started having difficulty so that I could check to see if I had actually moved the cap. I then placed a pair of stillsons on the cap but couldn’t move it. I then got two lump hammers, one in each hand, and hit the cylinder casing in the area where the threaded part of the cap is, each hammer being opposite the other one. The idea was to try and shock the cap. I tried the stillons again but still no good. I then got a cold chisel and tried to knock the cap undone but to no avail. Finally I got an 18 inch pair of stillsons with a 4 foot tube on the end of them, put it on the cap and then tried to undo it but it just wouldn’t move.
I presume that there is something like Loctite that is used when initially assembling the ram. I only have one last resort but I am a bit reluctant to put heat on the cylinder where the cap is but maybe that is my only option. Any help and/or advice would be very much appreciated.