Cctv reccomendations

Sloany

Sloany

Member
that looks very cheap/inexpensive ..... how does it' talk' to your phone.... does it need a SIM ? ... is that indoor or outdoor spec.?
My Hickvision DVR is wired into a router, (you can use a wired or mobile router)which i have located in the roof space so no one can get to it if they break in. I Bought the dvr and cameras separately so I could have 2 external ones. You simply plug it all in, download an app to your phone then scan the bar code on the Hikvision box. Some strange electrickery thing takes place and every thing works🤣 haven't got a clue about that bit I You then just click the app on your phone and it all pops up. You can even play the cameras back for any time of day you want to look at. Been in for a few years and no problems & I like the no contract to pay. The lads that did it also put a phone dialer on the alarm system so it ring my mobile if it goes off, I think it gives me a good head start if the Scumbags break in.

Dave
 
J

Jimoz

Well-known member
Nice one that's a good explanation. So the cameras use power but no network cabling?
 
maz

maz

Well-known member
I always recommend off the shelf stuff for non-technical people. They are pretty much fool proof now. But that comes at the expense of poorer cameras and limited future expansion.

If your technically capable, then build your own server with free Shinobi for the recording, and use good quality POE camera's.
 
B

Brendan

Well-known member
Also got ring quality seems ok, few niggles which I think is a bit pony. You can have multiple cameras and very easy setup wise.
 
Lancs Lad

Lancs Lad

Well-known member
Just bear in mind with ring etc...with no onboard recording if cloud only ..scumbags know this so one pair of wire cutters or loppers bye-bye BT and hey presto no footage...thinking more of rural places like mine but you get my drift.
 
B

Brendan

Well-known member
Just bear in mind with ring etc...with no onboard recording if cloud only ..scumbags know this so one pair of wire cutters or loppers bye-bye BT and hey presto no footage...thinking more of rural places like mine but you get my drift.
If you have the alarm it's on 3g backup so at least it will go off and notify those in the list.
That's the only issue with cloud cameras, the quality seems ok but doubt you could read a numberplate off it. To be fair a camera will always only show if someone has been rather than alert
 
Regy53

Regy53

I like cake
@Regy53 is yours good quality to read reg etc? The more I look into it these ring type systems seem to have the market cornered for plug n play simplicity. Just wish they were a bit more discreet looking and none of this silly talk to the criminal lark.
Are the settings quite adjustable ie not ping every time a car drives past?
You can read road reg but not in the night as it reflects then you really need special cameras.
 
Regy53

Regy53

I like cake
Just bear in mind with ring etc...with no onboard recording if cloud only ..scumbags know this so one pair of wire cutters or loppers bye-bye BT and hey presto no footage...thinking more of rural places like mine but you get my drift.
If your in this situation cameras are never going to help anyway. You want to know a few things i have found

One, quick glance is everything ok
Two alert can i see everything is ok
Three alert somebody is about

No recording is going to help they are to smart but if you know your cameras done in you know its happening. The thing you need is an alert. That’s all
 
J

Jimoz

Well-known member
No different cutting the wire on internet to smashing or obscuring the camera. If they want it they're getting it.

Is there any way I can utilise an old router I have which I have to turn on to connect to my printer. The router doesn't connect to the internet, I have another one for that but it creates a network.

I'm thinking/hoping
Camera on garage with power from inside garage
Hard driver recorder in house
Camera sending data via Wi-Fi on old router to fixed hard drive in house.

Obviously no live viewing with the above but potential for greater recording length and could be more secure or reliable?
 
Bob

Bob

Well-known member
I had a few things moved outside my garage which is beside my bungalow I found a deal had been moved think it was probaby going though window but I have bars inside got extras on rollar doors as well went to check cameras which have sim cards to store photos on found I had not switched it on:(
thats not the first vist I have had lights smashed off sheds, bungalow window broken and cars had stuff stolen out of but there was a god that night he broke into a coppers car as well:)
 
Lancs Lad

Lancs Lad

Well-known member
If your in this situation cameras are never going to help anyway. You want to know a few things i have found

One, quick glance is everything ok
Two alert can i see everything is ok
Three alert somebody is about

No recording is going to help they are to smart but if you know your cameras done in you know its happening. The thing you need is an alert. That’s all
True! I've got HIK at work, home and 2 sites i look after , great like you say just to keep an eye on things. Never stop them but makes em think twice imo.other thing with hik is they have a micro SD slot on each camera so you can be recording independentky of the NVR, so if the fkkers nick the NVR you still got evidence. I also have one of my hiks in a server room that also feeds an independent cloud server that notifys me independently of the main NVR as failover, yes I'm paranoid🙄😂😂
 
Regy53

Regy53

I like cake
True! I've got HIK at work, home and 2 sites i look after , great like you say just to keep an eye on things. Never stop them but makes em think twice imo.other thing with hik is they have a micro SD slot on each camera so you can be recording independentky of the NVR, so if the fkkers nick the NVR you still got evidence. I also have one of my hiks in a server room that also feeds an independent cloud server that notifys me independently of the main NVR as failover, yes I'm paranoid🙄😂😂
Oh i have all that but i never think about catching them if something happened. all i would want to do is stop and alert them. The rest is a bonus as such

Its why i like the ring, as soon as somebody enters my drive i am alerted. The thing they can do is cut cables etc but by then imo ists too late
 
Charlie

Charlie

Well-known member
Another vote for Hickvision here. The quality is superb.

Farm_IP Camera3_Farm_20201217151458_99551665.jpg
 
P

powercom

Active member
the Hikvision stuff is great we have a coupe of systems installed i would highly recommend them but the stuff you can get from screwfix particularly the swann stuff is very good also and great value , i would say the Hikvision stuff will last a little longer but the quality of the pictures there is little in it
Dont get anything with coaxial cable you want POE power over ethernet stuff which has a PC network cable to take power to the camera from the NVR (the recorder) to the cameral and picture back to the NVR they are so much easier to search recording on and much smarter then a coaxial connected camera.
 
J

Jimoz

Well-known member
I was just about to push the button on the Yale outdoor standalone CCTV WIFI camera but if you read the reviews it gets is terrible. Basically seems to be a tidy bit of hardware let down by multiple software issues and constantly corrupting SD cards (I sound like I know what i'm talking about with all this lingo!).

Basically you can get a similar no name versions off amazon just cheap wifi cameras. They seem to do everything I want them to do so will probably end up ordering one of the below. All the reviews are good and I think for the money I can't go wrong. Obviously its different if you are protecting a business or expecting burglaries but mine is more to capture any visitors/vehicle reg's

It's bizarre really because the hardware must be pennies to create and put together. You would think Yale would want to trade on their good reputation and create a decent bit of software for their version? Perhaps they have licensed this angle of the business to some chancers?



 
J

Jimoz

Well-known member
Also in the reviews of the cheap ones there are people singing their praises 4 years down the line, people uploading clips from their cameras to praise the quality. Seem genuinely good...
 
J

Jimoz

Well-known member
Pressed the button on the Igeek one this morning. 50 quid with a 128gb micro SD delivered Monday. Wish me luck!
 
V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
Pressed the button on the Igeek one this morning. 50 quid with a 128gb micro SD delivered Monday. Wish me luck!
so does that just talk to your router wifi then Jim ?
 
Top