4x4 pickups or iveco's that will tow 3.5 ton

R

Russell

I'm a bit underwhelmed with my disco it struggles pulling 2.7 tone so i can't see the clutch lasting with 3.5t behind it, plus it's gutless ,has ridiculous turning circle and very heavy steering. It's nice to have such good availability of new cheap parts and upgraded parts like steel bumpers but that's the only good thing I can see. I'll be going back to jap when it dies.

F

fred

I'm a bit underwhelmed with my disco it struggles pulling 2.7 tone so i can't see the clutch lasting with 3.5t behind it, plus it's gutless ,has ridiculous turning circle and very heavy steering. It's nice to have such good availability of new cheap parts and upgraded parts like steel bumpers but that's the only good thing I can see. I'll be going back to jap when it dies.
get a disco 3/4 they have power. Find a well serviced one.

S

Smiffy

get a disco 3/4 they have power. Find a well serviced one.
To be fair everything newish pulls so much better than the old gear
I put what I thought was a couple of tonnes of bales behind a 3ltr Hilux it pulled them fine nothing wrong going well
Weighed one at the other end turned out the bales where twice as heavy as the bloke loading them had said and there was near 6 tonnes
The auto box just makes it disappear

GazCro

GazCro

And I’m sure that was for just one month!!...can see why VW want a slice of it.
View attachment 12624
Thing is Ford and vw have a different business model. Vw try to build a better quality van or pickup (I'm not saying they actually do) but have to sell at a high price and so don't hit the high sales figures which would actually allow them to bring the price down. Ford on the other hand potentially sell their vehicles too cheap but then rely on sheer numbers to make a profit hence the number of pre reg vehicles they sell at a discount and the mega attractive finance deals they sometimes offer. I don't know how long there tie up between them will last but it would be hoped it combines the best from both companies and not the worst.

GazCro

GazCro

The whole pre reg jobs a fiddle anyhow. Pre reg count as sales so it's easy to boost figures then people start seeing how many they're selling and think oh they must be good I'll go and look at getting one. I wonder how many sales can be attributed to nfu discount? Isuzu must have jumped on that bandwagon mind bulk of farmers round here 4/5 years ago were ford now gone isuzu

TiltyShaun

TiltyShaun

Manual in the Iveco which is fine as first is so low that it is only used when towing. Second pretty much the same! All other vehicles are auto. Off roading I have been singing the praises of auto for many years that my mates in manual defenders just don’t get!

K

Komatsu

The whole pre reg jobs a fiddle anyhow. Pre reg count as sales so it's easy to boost figures then people start seeing how many they're selling and think oh they must be good I'll go and look at getting one. I wonder how many sales can be attributed to nfu discount? Isuzu must have jumped on that bandwagon mind bulk of farmers round here 4/5 years ago were ford now gone isuzu
These aren’t “Pre-registered”, these are “registered” figures.

K

Komatsu

I don't know how long there tie up between them will last but it would be hoped it combines the best from both companies and not the worst.
Well I hope so too, my first question was are you now going to do a 4x4 in the Transit Custom range, similar to the VW Transporter🤞🏼

B

Brendan

Well I hope so too, my first question was are you now going to do a 4x4 in the Transit Custom range, similar to the VW Transporter🤞🏼
They did a awd in the Mk7 transit although the split was automatic and no low box. Alot of the recovery vans were these.
Think the 2020 full sized transit will be getting it as an option again

M

Monkeybusiness

These aren’t “Pre-registered”, these are “registered” figures.
It’s the same thing as far as registrations go. The pre-registered portion of the vehicles get sold off heavily discounted as they are essentially second hand though. It makes it appear that the manufacturers are selling more brand new vehicles than they actually are.

K

Komatsu

They did a awd in the Mk7 transit although the split was automatic and no low box. Alot of the recovery vans were these.
Think the 2020 full sized transit will be getting it as an option again
They do it on the high roof version, but that is just to big for what I want it for unfortunately.

K

Komatsu

It’s the same thing as far as registrations go. The pre-registered portion of the vehicles get sold off heavily discounted as they are essentially second hand though. It makes it appear that the manufacturers are selling more brand new vehicles than they actually are.
Well either way, it’ll be the same for all other brands on the list, and Ford will still be outselling everyone else by a long way.

C

Canal Navvy

Just found a utter peach. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VOLVO-FL6-UTILITY-LORRY-HIAB-REMOTE-CONTOL-CRANE-GRAB-LORRY-KINSHOFER-BUCKET/274306623674?hash=item3fddf2e8ba:g:M10AAOSwD-5ebO2o&fbclid=IwAR08pP2CXERHNXpNUawJpJZFlcy9TC0vTyb3icyqgxI2XBw-nIqE7xCD9QA

15t, looks to be a narrow edition... same as mine, SWB.... compressor I could take or leave but that Hiab is the dogs bollocks, on Remote which is perfect :love: Just a pity she's a 180... be gutless as f**k on the hills around here.... I reckon she will make over 5k which rules me out unfortunately.... BUT if the lorry itself ends up for sale which is a distinct possibility she'd be perfect for spares.
Out of interest Rory how much narrower are they ? ............ a lot of narrow places round here too. ;)

tinydigger

tinydigger

making machines look small since 1980
Not a massive amount, but still a good 6" off that of a 18t lorry. I'll have a measure tommorow for you.

That truck is bloody perfect for me bar the little engine 😢
Couldn't you frankenstien a bigger engine in to it or uprate the one in there already?

JD450A

JD450A

Feral as Fk
Couldn't you frankenstien a bigger engine in to it or uprate the one in there already?
Yes, I could put the 250 in her... or possibly a 280 out of a tipper a mate parted up (although the latter was'nt such a great engine)

Not worth it though cost wise... better the devil you know ;)

R

Russell

What are single cab 4x4 pickups like for towing? Do they have a low first? I can't see any auto single cabs.