4x4 pickups or iveco's that will tow 3.5 ton

H

Howdeedoodee

Hi folks
I got a 2016 E26 bobcat from main dealer in Derby
Now realised I've got to get a new vehicle to tow it as my mk7 transit RWD lwb is only rated for 2.8T.
I've been looking at 100's of iveco's and 4x4's but obviously none of them state the towing limits.
I'm looking at iveco panel Van's around 2015-2016 and 4x4 pickups around 2010-2012.
I did a bit of research but the ratings are very different between models on the 4x4's
So without sending email's or messages to 100's of adverts could someone help me on figures for each manufacturer like Toyota hilux, ford ranger Mitsubishi ect,ect as you may drive similar
Which 4x4 is best and which iveco's are rated to pull 3.5t.
Thanks
John the builder.

TiltyShaun

TiltyShaun

With the older Iveco’s you are looking for a twin rear wheel set up for the 3500kg towing capacity. Mine is a 54 plate and I am not sure on the newer ones.
Pick ups, be careful, as some of them have a reduced payload when towing at 3500kg. So you need to be careful. Landrover discovery commercial might be an option as they definitely have 3500kg towing but there total capacity would still be less than the Iveco.

M

Monkeybusiness

I don’t think any of the usual run-of-the-mill 4x4 pickups of that age can tow 3.5 tonnes (but I stand to be corrected).

F

fred

landrover, disco or twin wheeler iveco.

Iveco way more reliable than the other 2 and can also carry a couple ton on the bed.

D

DaveDCB

Out of interest what other panel vans can tow 3.5? I might be swapping to a van over a pickup and am keen to find some options..

GazCro

GazCro

As said i don't think any 4x4 pickup of that age can tow 3.5 ton. I have a 2010 hilux and it's limit is 2.8 ton. There is actually a company i could pay (think its about £800) and get my hilux re registered to tow 3.5 ton or at least you could until recently but I've never needed to bother.

M

Monkeybusiness

As said i don't think any 4x4 pickup of that age can tow 3.5 ton. I have a 2010 hilux and it's limit is 2.8 ton. There is actually a company i could pay (think its about £800) and get my hilux re registered to tow 3.5 ton or at least you could until recently but I've never needed to bother.
SV Tech are the people to talk to re updating towing capacities. Sometimes it’s a paperwork exercise, sometimes mechanical upgrades are also required.

Quattromike

Quattromike

Well member-known
Out of interest what other panel vans can tow 3.5? I might be swapping to a van over a pickup and am keen to find some options..
be aware if you go to a panel van you may be also into the realms of tacho fitment. you seem to avoid this with a suitable 4x4 rated to tow this. possibly a sprinter 4x4 comes into this but you could possibly buy a new pickup for the price of a second hand sprinter 4x4. :unsure:

JD450A

JD450A

Feral as Fk
be aware if you go to a panel van you may be also into the realms of tacho fitment. you seem to avoid this with a suitable 4x4 rated to tow this. possibly a sprinter 4x4 comes into this but you could possibly buy a new pickup for the price of a second hand sprinter 4x4. :unsure:
Dual Purpose Vehicle - it's to do with your weights and having seats/load capacity and the capability to be a persons personal car and van.... hence why travelling theives tend to have doublecabs....

Best bet in all honesty is a 05 plate Iveco tipper if your going down this route. Newer ones give electrical trouble from what I gather and your better off buying one as a second wagon to use just for towing the digger, because the fuel economy is f****ng horrific. Brilliant trucks those however.... for what you want you could get a downrated 5t Iveco with the bigger engine! that would be the route i'd take and just ballast the van with the digger buckets and away you go.

You will get stuck on steep hills, slippery roads, soft ground..... I know because I ran this combo for several years.

4x4 wise the only suitable option would be a Hilux.... none of the others of that era have 3.5t towing.... I think from memory the hilux has to be uprated..... or a landrover 😂

Attachments

Gunners

Gunners

The Izuzu Dmax was the first pickup that could tow 3.5t. Dont know about its train weight though (which is what stops you being able to carry anything in the truck at the same time as towing) Landrovers were always very good for this as they had a high trainweight. Towing is a complete bodge anyway and needs massive reform. You will notice tons of people towing 3.5t with any old pickup, tipper, whatever they can get their hands on really.
Even the brand new trucks suffer from lack of trainweight. My new Navara can tow 3.5t but you'd be over on trainweight with a passenger and a full tank of fuel. So technically you can tow 3.5t but staying legal and towing 3.5t is very hard to achieve.

B

Brendan

Mid 2014 is when the ranger starting towing 3.5t but near enough all pickups, bar the latest musso have a 6t gtw so near enough no weight in the pickup when pulling 3.5t. plus the list of 3.5t tow for 2014 is more than likely just the ranger and dmax

There is a couple of iveco models I think it's the iveco 35c that are 3.5t tow

Hilux have never been a great tow vehicle and until recently generally had the lowest tow capacities than the competition.

Grahams

Grahams

Don't complain - suggest what's better
Landrover defenders have always been rated to tow 3500kg. Isuzu D-max and Ford Ranger I think uprated about 2014. Iveco 35 series vans can now, but not sure when this started.
A lot depends how much you want to spend. I will have a 14 reg D-max for sale when my Iveco van arrives. Comfortably tow 3500kg, but won’t keep up with my 3.2l ranger on hills.

M

maz

SSANGYONG MUSSO will tow 3.5 tons. Guy near me delivers plant part time with his. Loves it. Will also take 1 ton in the bed.

B

Brendan

SSANGYONG MUSSO will tow 3.5 tons. Guy near me delivers plant part time with his. Loves it. Will also take 1 ton in the bed.
Musso is the only pickup on the market with a 7t train weight.
Unibody design based on the rexton I think.
New ones have something like a 7 year/150k warranty which is near enough double the competition

Reactions: maz
GazCro

GazCro

The other thing to bear in mind with pickups is kerb weight, when you take this away from the train weight it's surprising how little you can carry when pulling 3.5 ton. A high spec ranger like the wildtrack for ex is one of the heavier pickups and technically when towing 3.5 ton im not even sure you'd have enough left for a passenger.

S

Smiffy

The other thing to bear in mind with pickups is kerb weight, when you take this away from the train weight it's surprising how little you can carry when pulling 3.5 ton. A high spec ranger like the wildtrack for ex is one of the heavier pickups and technically when towing 3.5 ton im not even sure you'd have enough left for a passenger.
They are also restricted to 60mph on the motorway due to there weight

R

Russell

Doubt a ranger is below 2040kg. Shogun was 2300kg empty and that didn't have a separate chassis.