3CX JCB 1997 Maintenance questions

Gecko

Gecko

Sorry - didn't think to take a pic.
I don't seem to have a record of the filter I used either - I'll record that when I'm on site next.

Last edited:
Mick-the-fitter

Mick-the-fitter

It’s what I do!
Ok no problem, just wondered why it should be different!

Gecko

Gecko

Wanted to replace a Hydroclamp seal over christmas. One tool I'm missing is a 2-1/4" socket, so I borrowed a mates CNC mill and cut myself a slogging spanner (only the hex was cut on the mill).
Naturally the anchor plate was worn, so the bolt just spun. I hammered some 4mm steel strip to fill the wear and was able to undo the nut. Once apart, some judicious welding will make it easier next time.

1610707161385.png

Last edited:
Gecko

Gecko

Its probably just a straight replacement box is it still a 4 spead with shuttle,
Almost right.
I've just identified the box as standard issue on a P12 where they dropped one solenoid without losing any function.
I'll hunt for the matching manual, then I've got some reading to do.

This is what I expected .......................................... What I found:
to see:
1610965487460.png
1610965692138.png
1610965550824.png

Hence my confusion.

When driving the machine, the stall speeds are much higher than specified in the P8 manual and the top speed is around 20km/h. Time to check the pressures!
This leads to the next question - what thread is used on the Test Ports?

Last edited:
Gecko

Gecko

M16x2 - that's excellent, thanks.
Naturally of the six threads supplied, that one is absent from the cheap kits I'm looking at.!

V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
M16x2 - that's excellent, thanks.
Naturally of the six threads supplied, that one is absent from the cheap kits I'm looking at.!
have this set ... with a few more adapters in it, when i bought it ...... added a third clock from flofit for pennies and also have a selection of additional adapters I've picked up, up to 11/4" BSP
JCB,hydraulic,test, kit,pressure,adaptors,hose,gauges | eBay
this also looks well handy to have ...... pity it's ying tong
Hydraulic Pressure Test Coupling Kit 14pcs Testing Coupling Adapter Set For | eBay

Shovelhands

Shovelhands

Can’t recall the thread, but I’m sure JCB used to have a unique thread on the test ports?

Is the one in your pic, @V8Druid , a Stauff type? As I’m sure they are different to the OE fitted JCB ones? But obviously can be swapped easily enough, as it’s just 1/4BSP on the other end of the fitting.

V8Druid

V8Druid

Can’t recall the thread, but I’m sure JCB used to have a unique thread on the test ports?

Is the one in your pic, @V8Druid , a Stauff type? As I’m sure they are different to the OE fitted JCB ones? But obviously can be swapped easily enough, as it’s just 1/4BSP on the other end of the fitting.
IIRC there are a both on my 3CX James ... power steering pump also has what looks like a very small ISO A T-ed into the line .... can't recall the name of the other test ports, but yes what i posted are Stauff

Gecko

Gecko

this also looks excellent VFM .....
That's the kit I've ordered (which doesn't have the M16x2 adapter). The M16x2 I've ordered separately with a longer hose.
Oddly, ordering from Ali, but locally supplied, the price for the kit was about £30 (should have it in a week)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think my P8 has any servo lines does it?

I’m sure JCB used to have a unique thread on the test ports?
Thanks - I'll concider myself warned!

V8Druid

V8Druid

That's the kit I've ordered (which doesn't have the M16x2 adapter). The M16x2 I've ordered separately with a longer hose.
Oddly, ordering from Ali, but locally supplied, the price for the kit was about £30 (should have it in a week)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think my P8 has any servo lines does it?

Thanks - I'll concider myself warned!
good price that kit ..... and no, no servo pressures in a p8 ... all full working pressures ..... can always change out the test ports in the box to Staufs if they aren't already ... ports in the box'll be BSP
the sizes listed in that ad. are the ports that the test adapters'll fit into .... the lines look like Stauf connectors to me
dare say you could find this Hydraulic Pressure Test Coupling Kit 14pcs Testing Coupling Adapter Set For | eBay in Ali too Boyo the M16 x 2 is the thread in the Stauf connector (y)

Gecko

Gecko

Who knows what's already been swapped over the years! - I'll crawl under and see if any of the adapters fit - then see about swapping the ports once I know what I've got.

V8Druid

V8Druid

The gauges are surprisingly cheap (boots are about the same price! https://www.dualpumps.co.uk/products/P00600007__Pressure_Gauge_Protector).
This is new territory for me, so I'll start with the cheapie kit and pickup extras as I need them. Hopefully I won't end up paying more than a decent kit by the time I'm done!
how did you arrive at ... " (boots are about the same price! ")" ..... can't see a price anywhere on their site .... handy those ... but won't fit in me kit case with them fitted :(

Gecko

Gecko

I've just identified the box as standard issue on a P12 where they dropped one solenoid without losing any function.
I've had a failure to find a P12 manual (sn 460000-499999) , just a load of scam sites.
I don't suppose anyone has this manual as a soft copy?