Workshop tools

Jimbo69

Jimbo69

Well-known member
I’m looking to get myself a kitted out tool chest with insert trays with tools to try and be better organised. It wouldn’t get heavy use so don’t want to be spending a fortune but at the same time I don’t want to buy crap. What does everyone recommend? I’ve been looking online at Halfords advanced and machine marts offerings as well. Any brands to avoid?
 
S

Smiffy

Well-known member
I’m looking to get myself a kitted out tool chest with insert trays with tools to try and be better organised. It wouldn’t get heavy use so don’t want to be spending a fortune but at the same time I don’t want to buy crap. What does everyone recommend? I’ve been looking online at Halfords advanced and machine marts offerings as well. Any brands to avoid?

I have the old Halfords professional box. It's really good but the new Halfords advanced isn't nearly as good.
I was in Costco the other day, there boxes are pukka.


 
Giles

Giles

Well-known member
I’m loving Franklin spanner’s at the moment got 6-32mm in foam inserts in my truck and another set of 10-19 in my workshop draw.

Had a few Halfords suckers sets etc and got the big bahco one now, but any major work go to my yard at parents farm

Dads got full snap on roller cabinet fully stocked with snap on and blue point really handy when you need a 60mm long 19mm racket ring spanner etc haha
 
D

DaveDCB

Well-known member
Halfords advanced is good, I don’t find the range very comprehensive so you could never use them for everything.

I started with a Teng set, knackard the ratchets and opened up afew sockets but they are pretty decent for the money to be fair, utterly out grown the tool box now! Always considered selling the original teng set, but I know I’d miss too much off it.
 
S

Smiffy

Well-known member
If we are talking spanners this is the best set you will ever buy. They are the most ergonomic spanners possible. So comfy to use although they are a little stubby. And the holder is perfect for mobile work as you can carry them to the machine and easily see if you have forgotten to pick one up.

 
D

DaveDCB

Well-known member
I have the old Halfords professional box. It's really good but the new Halfords advanced isn't nearly as good.
I was in Costco the other day, there boxes are pukka.


My mate has one and never has anything bad to say about it and he’s snap on everything!
 
pettsy

pettsy

Well-known member
In the unit I’ve got a couple of Halfords professional and Bahco box sets. At home I’ve got a couple of snapon boxes with a fair amount of snapon tools, bought back when I was employed with disposable income! Never had anything on finance. There’s some decent second hand boxes if you look on eBay/marketplace.
 
V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
If we are talking spanners this is the best set you will ever buy. They are the most ergonomic spanners possible. So comfy to use although they are a little stubby. And the holder is perfect for mobile work as you can carry them to the machine and easily see if you have forgotten to pick one up.

Facom was always good gear .... won't buying any more spanners in my lifetime, :giggle: unless it's something I don't have or need :rolleyes: ... Gordon, Elora, Britool, King Dick, a few Snap on, Blue Point and some very early Kamasa which were excellent back then.
WP_20220413_17_08_36_Pro.jpg
WP_20220413_17_07_45_Pro.jpg
WP_20220413_17_08_00_Pro.jpg

my Polystor is a great tool chest but far from mobile :LOL:
 
Last edited:
Lancs Lad

Lancs Lad

Well-known member
Snap on best rollcabs. period will last for ever..
But strong money secondhand...got lucky and bought both of mine s'hand 25 years ago minters ..were prob 10 years old then!.
Still run sweet as...can get deals on the truck at the rock n roll events..I think their called

But if was starting again I'd prob get Milwaukee rollcab...seems decent had a play with it.
But then again SGS seems good value right now if you want el cheapo and huge range .

Tools wise...big fan of USPRO/Bergen...cheap and do the job well their spanners were underrated imo..used em daily when I was on the spanners and their mini clutchless ratchets are awesome.

Few of my faves of other brands:
Britool clutchless ratchet ..
Teng massive range and fair priced.
Milwaukee M12 ratchets and impacts.
Wera joker spanners...once you've tried...you'll not look back.
 
William127

William127

Well-known member
I've got a second hand Mac top box (£350) and bottom box (£460ish), both fantastic.
They're both 45 inches (I think), both built like tanks- the bottom box has an ash plank top I milled myself and I had a td5 engine, gearbox and transfer box sat on it for weeks at one time!
They took a bit of looking for at those prices but I wasn't in a rush, and they don't match (but they are compatible)- not that I care because it doesn't mater, and they're not even in the same town, never mind attached to each other 😆 I'd replace them like for like without a thought if I ever needed.
Mates have had Halfords advanced (black ones) in vans, which rattles them around a fair bit, for years. They're wearing out now but great value and often on offer.

Hand tool wise, Bahco stuff is great value, never had an issue with any of their products. I've got their 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2 inch socket sets, spanner sets, adjustables, files etc. Look for a company called Red Box tools, they often have the box sets on fantastic offers.
I've got a Beta 1/2 rathet that I bought when I was 20 for quite a bit, bloody lovely tool but I hardly ever use it as the bahco ones are just as strong and fit in the boxes. I've also got a sealey long handled 1/2 ratchet, great tool for 15 quid 👍
I've got a few Britool spanners and they're real quality, strong, well made and great feeling in the hand. I've also got long ring spanners (so useful) and imperial spanners from US Pro, as well as their chisels, picks, prybars etc, great value, fairly decent gear.
Halfords Advanced are very good spanners for single sizes (30mms for the slanetrac track tensioner springs to mind), good prices with a trade card.
A Thor Copper and Hide hammer, Roughneck long handled club hammer, Milwaukee Cheater Stilson and a couple of sizes of CK waterpump pliers are a couple of others that spring to mind as really nice tools.

Oh and various Milwaukee m12 nut guns plus a bigger m18 nut gun.

Can't beat having the right tool, and a decent quality one 👌
 
D

DaveDCB

Well-known member
To locking in eBay… he’s been saved for afew years, always has a good supply of snap on boxes, some stunning ones!
 
S

Stroppymonkey

Well-known member
If we are talking spanners this is the best set you will ever buy. They are the most ergonomic spanners possible. So comfy to use although they are a little stubby. And the holder is perfect for mobile work as you can carry them to the machine and easily see if you have forgotten to pick one up.

Facom hard to beat. Dad still using his set from 70s
 
doobin

doobin

Well-known member
I’ve always looked at the price of snap on and thought ‘what a joke’

They seem to exist just to get young impressionable apprentices into debt for so-so tools. Fifty quid for a small screwdriver set? Utter joke. Their powertools prove that they are just trading on a name- utter outdated wank compared to the competition.

From a young age, I spent my money on power tools, consumables (a Screwfix shop was a weekly payday occurance) and things with engines instead. I still only have whatever spanners are cheap on eBay- never snapped one.

I did ‘treat’ myself to a Halfords Advance ratchet spanner set a couple of months back, but threw it back at them for refund when I found three bent like a banana castings and much coarser ratchets (supposedly 72t) on them than my eBay ones that cost less than a third of the price.

There’s a lot of marketing bollocks around tools. Notable examples that are worth the money to me are Knipex pliers, especially the water pump pliers.
 
D

DaveDCB

Well-known member
I only ever get snap on second hand or offer sheets, but the last few years the prices have gone beyond stupid!

The snap on ratchets are mega, never had any issues, only a 1/4 that got submerged in oil and didn’t engage anymore - got swapped FOC. The sockets and spanner’s will last anyone a lifetime!
 
Lancs Lad

Lancs Lad

Well-known member
I’ve always looked at the price of snap on and thought ‘what a joke’

They seem to exist just to get young impressionable apprentices into debt for so-so tools. Fifty quid for a small screwdriver set? Utter joke. Their powertools prove that they are just trading on a name- utter outdated wank compared to the competition.

From a young age, I spent my money on power tools, consumables (a Screwfix shop was a weekly payday occurance) and things with engines instead. I still only have whatever spanners are cheap on eBay- never snapped one.

I did ‘treat’ myself to a Halfords Advance ratchet spanner set a couple of months back, but threw it back at them for refund when I found three bent like a banana castings and much coarser ratchets (supposedly 72t) on them than my eBay ones that cost less than a third of the price.

There’s a lot of marketing bollocks around tools. Notable examples that are worth the money to me are Knipex pliers, especially the water pump pliers.
agreed on Snapon .. van used to come round and even back then the prices were bonkers compared to Britool and facom in the local engineering supplies could never figure out htf you could even begin to spend that on spanner monkey salary..till he said oh i can do credit 😂😂,people like Wera and Milwaukee are wiping the floor with them now.
Wera joker spanners for instance.
but do maintain their roll cabs are the best and still have the street cred..no one needs to open them to see the bergen stuff😊

lol about screwfix etc..as a kid i got a makita stick drill for 8th birthday...still got it! 😂
my lads both got an M12 similar age.

ahh we do like tool talk
 
pettsy

pettsy

Well-known member
I only ever get snap on second hand or offer sheets, but the last few years the prices have gone beyond stupid!

That’s what I used to do. Haven’t actually been on the lorry for about 5yrs as I’ve got all the main stuff I need. Anything special you can usually buy on eBay as a “one use”, obviously if using daily you’d want better quality.
 
Top